• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
MT bear found and killed this morning, while approaching a trap.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's interesting these attacks are happening so early this year. Normally it is in the fall. A sign of the number of people visiting grizzly country this year?

The Idaho guy's injuries are quite similar to my husband's. (Except this guy's scalp is still attached.) I hope he did go to the hospital. Grizzly germs require a ton of antibiotics.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Sorry, what I meant was, people on the way to, in and on way back from outdoor activities are far more dangerous in real terms than the wildlife likely to be encoutered.. I totally feel bad for the bear. I suspect human population is increasing much faster than bear population...or most any wildlife for that matter...

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sorry, what I meant was, people on the way to, in and on way back from outdoor activities are far more dangerous in real terms than the wildlife likely to be encoutered.. I totally feel bad for the bear. I suspect human population is increasing much faster than bear population...or most any wildlife for that matter...

Not sure it's increasing so much as sloshing about.

Last weekend I SMH at some recent immigrants who simply couldn't leave a group of 4 deer alone to munch away in a creekbed.

Why, why why did they have to scare them out of a reasonable food zone and into people's yards, all while both being loud on the phone to their kids/besties? They simply would not leave the animals alone, and actually started throwing stones. :nono::nono::nono:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think a lot of people who have never been in or near wild places are venturing there now. Completely ignorant of how to behave, these people create problems when encountering wildlife. Same thing happens when dumb schmucks do stupid things in African safari parks. I’ve seen cars driving around with huge baboons on their roofs because they stopped to try and get close to the creatures and the baboons climbed aboard. Looks hysterical but baboons are very strong and can be very aggressive.

That’s not to say that some have had just bad luck and have been at the wrong place at the wrong time re: some of these grizzly attacks.

But you’re right, encounters with stupid people are more numerous than encounters with wildlife.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
MT bear found and killed this morning, while approaching a trap.
Why, why why did they have to scare them out of a reasonable food zone and into people's yards, all while both being loud on the phone to their kids/besties? They simply would not leave the animals alone, and actually started throwing stones. :nono::nono::nono:
Can we use the 'Bear Solution' on dumb humans?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I was driving up north and there were a couple of cars on the shoulder. It's a fairly low-travel road so you slow down to see if anyone needs help..back in the bush a bit. Anyway, I see they're taking pictures of a full-size black bear who is wallowing down in the water in the ditch. It's about 8' down and it's a slippery gravel slope and they're out of their cars taking selfies. Like..that's not a cow folks! They're usually pretty placid but if you fall down that slope onto him, well..you don't know what the outcome of that's gonna be... So like..I drove on obviously... Didn't hear any sirens, I assume it all turned out ok..

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
7 13 21.JPG

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
1st up close bear encounter.
13 year old boy scout doing Philmont Scout Camp in NM. My turn to do kitchen clean up after dinner; everybody else went for an in the dark hike star gazing or something. Got done with all the dishes and sat down to kick back up against a log on the ground.
There was a noise from the other side of the log so turned to see what was there just as a black bear stood up about 2 feet behind me.
Pretty sure we scared each other pretty good. Put more wood on the fire after that.