• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
Bear encounters are worse now in the Sierras than I've ever seen. Apparently between the drought and all the fires, bears have very little habitat left to feed in, so they are crashing the campgrounds like it's their only option. And with all the new campers, they are being quite successful. I was in Kings Canyon NP for a couple weeks in early July, and the bears would start raiding around 6pm, 2 or 3 bears at a time. For some unknown reason, the new campers think that setting off their car alarms is going to scare the bears away. Nope! After things had calmed down, I was sitting in my campsite in a lawn chair when I was surprised by a bear sneaking up behind me and "nosing" my arm. It was a tall, lanky, scruffy tan thing, but it moved on quickly when I shouted at it. Things are definitely getting weird.

And yes, black bears can kill, especially in territory where they overlap with brown/griz. My brother was hanging out with the 4th victim when this notorious attack happened (2 killed, 2 others severely mauled):

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, Rarely kill people (..?..) I am nervous when bears are around. In the middle of the night you can hear them moving through - within 20 feet. I ask what would be the plan of action? I don't really have one. We also have blueberry patches!

Old School, you are in Canada where they are - A bear of a different color.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Ok, Rarely kill people (..?..) I am nervous when bears are around. In the middle of the night you can hear them moving through - within 20 feet. I ask what would be the plan of action? I don't really have one. We also have blueberry patches!

Old School, you are in Canada where they are - A bear of a different color.
Most black bears are after your food but there are some "rogue" black bears that attack and eat people. Grizzlies: there are less of them and they tend to do more to avoid people than black bears, but of course are a lot more powerful and dangerous in an encounter.

When in bear country I carry bear spray and bear bangers which shoot a projectile about 100' and then go off with a bang as loud as a shot gun. I shot one at a bear on a logging road one time. The explosion went off just a few feet from the bear. The bear was so shocked that it fell over, got up and got off the road asap.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
When in bear country I carry bear spray and bear bangers which shoot a projectile about 100' and then go off with a bang as loud as a shot gun. I shot one at a bear on a logging road one time. The explosion went off just a few feet from the bear. The bear was so shocked that it fell over, got up and got off the road asap.
Yeah, it's time to pick up bear spray. Those bangers would help too.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah, I saw that.

“ …the four are all reportedly experienced backcountry travelers.”
Hmmm.
One lesson seems to be when the bear leaves, don’t start yelling. They get interested again.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yes. Apparently 4 guys out there in the woods, in bear country, in the fall, without a gun or can of bear spray among them. I guess they were relying on numbers?
Yeah, I keep bear spray in my truck because you never know when you might have to deal with an aggressive urban bear, aka a thief/bad guy.

Last edited:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Bears are more active in our area for fall.
Trish heard one overturning our trash can 2 days ago. She yelled which chased it away !

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I was wondering the other day as I camped on the Continental Divide whether a fire extinguisher would be an effective substitute for (anti-)bear spray. I had the former but not the latter. I should get some of the latter, too.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This lady got attacked right in her yard.
The Guardian US: Washington state woman survives bear attack by punching animal’s nose.

This was right in Leavenworth by the way.

slidingmike

Going downhill fast...
Skier
The habitat in the Sierras this summer was so thin due to all the recent fires and drought that the black bears have resorted to aggressively combing the campsites nightly -- in numbers, starting a hour before sunset. Worse than I've ever seen by a long shot, even compared to Yosemite Valley. I had one sneak up behind me and nose my arm (hoping for a sip of my wine). We were still able to run them off, but it may not be much longer before they start standing their ground out of necessity.

Sponsor