• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Not a bear but belongs somewhere.

James

Out There
Instructor
Between bear vs moose, the bear runs, should tell you something.
—————-
Occurred on May 2022 / Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
"Right outside of Many Glacier Hotel in Glacier National Park, a moose gave birth to two calves. Almost immediately a grizzly began stalking them day and night. Safely from a balcony of the hotel, I’ve been able to record different interactions between the grizzly and moose."
————————

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
^^^Got me thinking about the time I was hiking in summer at Sun Peaks Resort. The runs and all land outside of the actual Village is Crown Land, owned by the province of B.C. and considered part of the local rancher's Free Range Land. I came upon a small herd of cows and as soon as they saw me a half dozen big cows formed a semi circle and stood shoulder to shoulder facing me, and the smaller cows ducked in behind. The big cows weighed 800-1000lbs and had full horns (not quite Texas Longhorn sized but intimidating none the less). I remember thinking that even a grizzly bear wouldn't risk messing with that. I kept my distance as I walked by the herd.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Missed seeing you @DanoT at the Pugski national gathering ending last week in UT I'm heading N into S Idaho. won't make Canada this time as the snow in Tahoe is too good to pass up.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Woman in CT bitten by bear while walking dog

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm guessing the next school board budget will include a bear proof lid and latch for the garbage bin.;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Sierrajim had that happen to his Honda Element back when he was on Epic.
Out here the insurance companies are pretty familiar with that kind of damage.
I thought I saved the pics of it before Epic shut down but I can't find them.

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s happened at Killington where the bear opened the car door and went in. It got out though.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Report from Outside online

Visitor Gored by Bison at Yellowstone National Park Suffers “Significant Injuries”​

1689725557101.png

An Arizona woman is lucky to be alive after being gored by a bison at Yellowstone National Park on Monday, July 17. 2023 According to a news release from the Park Service, the 47-year-old woman, who has not been identified, suffered “significant injuries to her chest and abdomen” and was airlifted to a hospital. Officials did not provide further information about her current condition.

Prior to the attack, the woman and another person had been walking in a field in front of the Lake Lodge Cabins, on the north shore of Lake Yellowstone, when they spotted two bison. As they walked away from the animals, one of the bison charged at and gored the woman. It’s unclear how close the visitors were to the bison. The incident remains under investigation.

Visitors should stay more than 25 yards away from bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose, and coyotes, and at least 100 yards away from bears and wolves, according to the park service.
This is the park’s first reported goring incident this year. The last attack occurred on June 28, 2022, when authorities said a 34-year-old man got too close to a bull near Old Faithful and suffered an injury to his arm.

Bulls can weigh up to 2,000 pounds and stand six feet tall, while cows can weigh up to 1,000 pounds and grow four to five-feet tall. Despite their hulking size, bison can run up to 35 miles per hour.

Last edited:

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
Once encountered a bison coming down a trail as we started up it. Got out of his way as fast as we could.
Then watched him get rid of a few itches by rubbing himself against a car in the parking lot.
We were really glad it wasn't ours.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Once encountered a bison coming down a trail as we started up it. Got out of his way as fast as we could.
Then watched him get rid of a few itches by rubbing himself against a car in the parking lot.
We were really glad it wasn't ours.
Like the frickin monkeys at the outdoor drive thru zoo. Rip your car to shreds.. Lil bastards... :nono::roflmao:

John Webb

mdskier
Skier

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
This is not actually “Hank the Tank” but another bear.
You know how the TV has Shark Week? Well, this has been Bear Week in South Lake Tahoe! Had one ripping a hole in my window screen while I was sitting only 30’ away. Seeing bears cruising through the neighborhood daily…

Sponsor