• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^ also, between the houses we saw what I'm fairly sure is mtn lion scat the other day. Big, full of hair. Blech.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mountain lions scare me more than bears.
A lot more. I've encountered both on my property and face to face with a stealthy125 lb cat creates about 2x the heartrate and sense of mortality than does an encounter with a lumbering 250-300 lb bear.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
My grounds keeping crew this season... Mom likes to scratch against the apple trees while the cubs are busy climbing them. After their work is done mom comes up the walk to leave me the bill. Then the family goes off to see the neighbors. :)

IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3339.JPG
IMG_3342.JPG
IMG_3344.JPG
IMG_3347.JPG
IMG_3348.JPG
IMG_3352.JPG

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
It's these kinds of pictures that lead to people thinking that bears are "cute" and then they get mauled in Yellowstone.
Statement by the oerson shooting the video pretty much confirms that. Nature = a zoo.

————————-
“There was a little bit of, like, Yogi Bear in the whole situation,” Watkins said.
She said the mama bear first grabbed a family’s cooler and started eating their leftovers. The bears then decided on a family swim.
“It was exciting,” Watkins said. “For the most part, people just stood back and were, you know, enjoying the moment. It was super cute. We weren’t at the zoo, but it felt like it.”
—————————

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Here is another video of them, this is the same family down the beach a little further. This is very close to my home.

There was another video of them the other day raiding a birthday party for a 6 year old and they were devouring the cake. Wish I could find it, if it shows up again I will post it.
There is a saying around here that “a fed bear is a dead bear”. As they get habituated to humans they lose their fear and they become more dangerous.

I am with @Sibhusky on this one, Tahoe bears are usually pretty docile and people get complacent to the danger. The bear population here has exploded in the last 25 years. I don’t think that it is a good situation for people or the Bears.
When I was a kid there were no bears in South Lake Tahoe. Not to say that there weren’t any 100+ years ago & there were always a few in the mountains. In town there were none until about 1990 when they began showing up. At that time it seemEd like an adult weighed about 250 pounds, now they are about 500 pounds.

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here is another video of them, this is the same family down the beach a little further. This is very close to my home.

There was another video of them the other day raiding a birthday party for a 6 year old and they were devouring the cake. Wish I could find it, if it shows up again I will post it.
There is a saying around here that “a fed bear is a dead bear”. As they get habituated to humans they lose their fear and they become more dangerous.

I am with @Sibhusky on this one, Tahoe bears are usually pretty docile and people get complacent to the danger. The bear population here has exploded in the last 25 years. I don’t think that it is a good situation for people or the Bears.
When I was a kid there were no bears in South Lake Tahoe. Not to say that there weren’t any 100+ years ago & there were always a few in the mountains. In town there were none until about 1990 when they began showing up. At that time it seem like and adult weighed about 250 pounds, now they are about 500 pounds.
Good Urban leftovers adds pounds easily. :ogcool:

James

Out There
Instructor
At that time it seem like and adult weighed about 250 pounds, now they are about 500 pounds.
They need to educate bears on the problems of a leftover pizza and birthday cake diet.

Ultimately, I think you’re right. The outcome is likely shooting after some situation, or highly unlikely, relocating before said situation.

Sponsor

Staff online