• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bear Mauling and other Bear Stories

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have heard that in Mammoth many of the bear proof containers were no longer bear proof once the bears figured them out. Yogi and boo-boo ain’t so dumb.

1636322457068.png

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
After one dumb move (leaving garbage in a reasonably secure can (it had a top!) on the screened-in porch. We decided that all food garbage would be kept in the freezer until the next dump run. That worked.

Didn't stop the bear from getting a chicken, though.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tourists- It’s all fun and games till the bear opens the car door.

While we joke about encounters, occasionally, stupidity needs to be eaten to get the message across that bears are wild animals and you can be considered food.

And this is one of those moments.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
46c78e673df3a9f675ad687a0c5058fe

SAVE Hank the Tank !

...Now authorities are trying to trap Hank and possibly euthanize him...as he continues to rampage through Tahoe Keys

snippets:

When he breaks into a home, he is far more interested in the food than any people who may be inside, Bryant said.
“He just sits there and eats,” she said. “He doesn’t attack them. He doesn’t growl. He doesn’t make rude faces.”
...“Why should this big dummy die?” Bryant said.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Because of an unfortunate set of circumstance we end up with headlines reading

Bear hunt underway after attack in southern Colorado​

A bear swatted a woman in a tent alongside her husband and 2-year-old daughter​

The unfortunate part comes in because they never saw the bear and the bear never saw them. It was a chain reaction to events that led to this. Thankfully mom is ok.

They never found the bear and the search has been called off

Last edited:

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was this already discussed here? Sad outcome In Montana.
A camper scared off a bear — then the grizzly came back and killed her

Early on July 6, 2021, Leah Lokan awoke to a 417-pound grizzly bear a few feet from her tent, so close that she heard when the bear “huffed” at her head.
“Bear! Bear!” Lokan yelled, prompting Joe and Kim Cole — two other cyclists camping in the small town of Ovando as they trekked across Montana — to spring from their nearby tent, armed with bear spray and clamoring as much as possible, according to a 26-page report addressed by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee’s executive body earlier this month.

The bear fled.
After scaring it off, Lokan, a 65-year-old visiting from Chico, Calif., moved food out of her tent to a nearby building. She armed herself with a can of bear spray. She declined an offer to stay in a hotel for the night. Then, she and the Coles returned to their respective tents.

Lokan’s extra precautionary measures weren’t enough. The bear returned about an hour after the first encounter and mauled her to death.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Yes, it was. Happened last year. I saw this article also and was wondering why it resurfaced the other day.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
We've had a bear of a week, so to speak. A bear has been hanging around, keeping @chris_the_wrench on his toes, and tonight my dog started going absolutely berserk. Now this dog doesn't bark at UPS or FedEx, but he was going nuts this evening. We have a closed foyer so we can't actually see anyone at the front door until we open the inner door. So, surprise!

PXL_20220806_022157057~2.jpg

Little guy. And it's not a great pic, but he was moving so much the phone wouldn't focus. You see the back of our metal wreath on the other side of the glass. Not zoomed.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
We've had a bear of a week, so to speak. A bear has been hanging around, keeping @chris_the_wrench on his toes, and tonight my dog started going absolutely berserk. Now this dog doesn't bark at UPS or FedEx, but he was going nuts this evening. We have a closed foyer so we can't actually see anyone at the front door until we open the inner door. So, surprise!

View attachment 174733
Little guy.
Little guys can be dangerous. They are often cut off from female bears competing with mature ones. They can be prone to proving themselves buy going after a human.

We have a small wilderness community outside of Troy, NY. The bears know when garbage night is. No problem except for the mess, but I do worry about home invasion. We keep garbage in the kitchen and they can smell. I am thinking - Desert Eagle, however handling a gun is not one of my strong points. They often walk right by the camp and my wife refuses to take action.

Everyone at the lake has an air horn - good luck with that! Now a days, I close the doors. These are Black Bears and they rarely attack.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Glad it wasn't a big one opening the door from the outside bear style.
Fortunately there's an inner door if he had started swinging. I was surprised at how he was almost as curious about us as we were of him.

I've notified FWP and our neighbors. Hopefully the Airbnb crowd passes the info along. I'm sure some of these vacationers would think it cute to encourage this guy.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Little guys can be dangerous. They are often cut off from female bears competing with mature ones. They can be prone to proving themselves buy going after a human.

We have a small wilderness community outside of Troy, NY. The bears know when garbage night is. No problem except for the mess, but I do worry about home invasion. We keep garbage in the kitchen and they can smell. I am thinking - Desert Eagle, however handling a gun is not one of my strong points. They often walk right by the camp and my wife refuses to take action.

Everyone at the lake has an air horn - good luck with that! Now a days, I close the doors. These are Black Bears and they rarely attack.
Think again......

Sponsor

Staff online