• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beer

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
D67FBBB6-3819-461C-BCF9-B4A03447B1FD.jpeg I haven’t been drinking much beer lately, but this is a fave.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 145468
Burlington Beer Co’s new retail outlet. Not even listed on the website, it was still crowded. It’s big, needs sound deadening. The Williston place is becoming production only.

View attachment 145467

Meanwhile, Black Flannel was two thumbs down for hazy ipa’s, and Weird Window was just above that.
Appears BBCO and River Roost are at the top. According to the beer snobs I drove.
BBCO has some nice offerings…I like a lot of them…but Uncanny Valley is the one I always seem to grab.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Kirkland Tawney Porto is very good. It is 10 years old and barrel aged. Also they have some very good beer variety packs such as Spaten From Munich that has Dopplebock, Lager and Octoberfest. It is seasonal and I always look forward to buying it. Costco has great prices on beer compared to the rest.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Andy Mink Here is a very good local Stout from Log Tavern Brewery in Milford, Pa. (peanut butter must be becoming a trend…lol)

If anybody is familiar with Fiddlehead’s Hodad
(a favorite)…..this offering is a very close 2nd.

View attachment 146060
Well, it is at least a 3-4 year trend and probably should stop. :)

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Here in Pike County, PA….trends seem to be a few years late….or never come at all…..lol.
That's what I used to say about South Jersey, especially in the Pine Barrens. I am told that parts of PA that border West Virginia are the same way.

Reactions: BC.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This summer and fall I've been enjoying a new discovery - Dunkelweizen. Had my first import at a German restaurant in Wisconsin in May, then at several micro-breweries in our area, Is this a new trendy beer for the US?

Recently I've been enjoying several local Marzen/Oktoberfest lagers.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
W
This summer and fall I've been enjoying a new discovery - Dunkelweizen. Had my first import at a German restaurant in Wisconsin in May, then at several micro-breweries in our area, Is this a new trendy beer for the US?

Recently I've been enjoying several local Marzen/Oktoberfest lagers.
Weve been enjoying German beers for the last couple of years. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy craft beers, but I love all the selections from Germany. A good Dunkel is hard to beat.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 8.34.51 AM.png

KBS is a big imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolate and then bourbon barrel-aged to perfection. Incredibly silky and full-bodied with notes of vanilla, cocoa, roasted coffee and charred oak.
ABV.12%

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 146085

KBS is a big imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolate and then bourbon barrel-aged to perfection. Incredibly silky and full-bodied with notes of vanilla, cocoa, roasted coffee and charred oak.
ABV.12%
Founders makes some good brew. I like their All Day IPA at <5%.

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
You're certainly not going to be doing an All Day at 12% ABV!

@SBrown: thats one of Oskar Blues' best offerings. Red and sticky describes it well.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Kirkland Tawney Porto is very good. It is 10 years old and barrel aged. Also they have some very good beer variety packs such as Spaten From Munich that has Dopplebock, Lager and Octoberfest. It is seasonal and I always look forward to buying it. Costco has great prices on beer compared to the rest.
Rather it is Tawny not Tawney.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We picked up a case of the Spaten. Dopplebock is really good.

Had a bottle of the Octoberfest explode on me. Had it on pantry shelf and went to pick it up to put in fridge. Blammo, glass and beer all over the place. I was lucky to emerge unscathed.

Why did this happen? I am traumatized and now afraid of my beer.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Willyum215

Col. Mustard
Skier
@BC. I met a couple of guys that work at Free Will Brewing in the Elk lot with the gate to the quad last year. Super nice guys, they ended up gifting me a case of all sorts of good stuff. Hoping they'll be back this year- if so, I'll keep you posted and save you a few.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
We picked up a case of the Spaten. Dopplebock is really good.

Had a bottle of the Octoberfest explode on me. Had it on pantry shelf and went to pick it up to put in fridge. Blammo, glass and beer all over the place. I was lucky to emerge unscathed.

Why did this happen? I am traumatized and now afraid of my beer.
I have purchased many of these cases of beer from Costco and have never had this happen. We currently have two cases of this in the pantry and are currently drinking it as well. Exploding beers in a home brew are usually due to incomplete fermentation before bottling. Exploding can also be caused by contamination in the beer. Both are very unlikely from Spaten but not impossible. My wife and I are BJCP judges and judge beer competitions. We are also avid home brewers. We also make Port, Mead, Eis wine, and other wines.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Latest Oktoberfest beer from Iron Hill in Delaware. The mug is from Braeloch's in Kennett Square, PA. These are not my wife's jam, so more for me!

Attachments

• IMG_20211025_173229949.jpg
    IMG_20211025_173229949.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 5

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
PXL_20211105_204359465.jpg
I tried this last evening, I couldn't drink more than a mouthful. It had a chocolate aroma, was like a syrup that tasted like coffee with a hint of licorice. Not for me thanks.