• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bent Chetler 100 for a beginner ski?

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello friends... I am in my first ski season and am comfortable with all the greens I have encountered so far and learning on some blues. I wanted to pick up my own gear as I had been going often and rental $$ were racking up so I went to a local ski shop who ended up being low on stock for beginner ski for my size so sold me a pair of Atomic Bent Chetler 100 (164) w/Attack 11 bindings.

I am parallel skiing now (no more wedge turns) and so far I am feeling OK using them on the greens but I took a pretty steep blue the other day and did not end well for me. Being a newbie and using this intermediate/advanced ski has me wondering if having this ski is hurting my progression as its not for such, and maybe I should try and buy/rent a used progression ski for the rest of this season and start of next and then will have this ski for when I am ready for such a ski.

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I assume you are only skiing on groomed runs? If so, then that ski is way too wide for a good learning progression. I would think you really should be on something less than 80mm wide, which will help with turn initiation and feel. And you will likely feel more in control in general and have to work less to make turns.

Since you're in the PNW, I understand wanting a wide ski - 100mm is probably very typical there. But I think it makes it harder to learn.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I assume you are only skiing on groomed runs? If so, then that ski is way too wide for a good learning progression. I would think you really should be on something less than 80mm wide, which will help with turn initiation and feel. And you will likely feel more in control in general and have to work less to make turns.

Since you're in the PNW, I understand wanting a wide ski - 100mm is probably very typical there. But I think it makes it harder to learn.

Agreed.

Although one bad trip down a blue trail isn't enough to give up, you are nonetheless leaning in the right direction. I know people do ski such a fat ski on groomed snow, but I can't imagine it's ideal. I ski in the East where I would have no use for something like that. I have been learning a new skill recently (carving) and I switched from a somewhat wider ski to an old pair at 69 mm wide - it made it so easy! Even if you're not yet putting the skis on edge, 100 is a lot of ski to maneuver.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I feel like Atomic pushes those skis as much more advanced than they actually are? All of the guys I know that have tested them or own them basically summed them up as "fine for slowly learning blue bumps, folds in half on anything above that." If anything I'd almost wonder if they're too soft or too short (or both) for you.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I feel like Atomic pushes those skis as much more advanced than they actually are? All of the guys I know that have tested them or own them basically summed them up as "fine for slowly learning blue bumps, folds in half on anything above that." If anything I'd almost wonder if they're too soft or too short (or both) for you.

They're really fun skis that work great for lighter skiers... I don't know that they've ever been marketed as anything other than a fun all mountain twin.

And yes, I'd rather not teach a beginner on a 100mm ski.

A

TS
Jittery3

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks all for the input. I swung into Evo while running some errands just now, had a quick chat and seems they also agree. I made an appt on Friday with them to get something better for groomers/progression and will keep these for when I am ready for off-piste/terrain parks :D

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Thanks all for the input. I swung into Evo while running some errands just now, had a quick chat and seems they also agree. I made an appt on Friday with them to get something better for groomers/progression and will keep these for when I am ready for off-piste/terrain parks :D
You didn't mention your boots - the wrong boots will stifle your learning curve a lot more than the wrong ski.

DaveM

Putting on skis
Skier
I agree with one of the previous commenters, @dbostedo 's comment is very good, in particular. I started alpine skiing and rented for a few seasons, a few days each season, 2006-2009. Lessons helped. Becoming an "advanced beginner", I could no longer tolerate the "flappy" rental skis. So, I'm about 6'1.5" tall, and bought Volkl AC3's back in Nov. 2010, as my first pair -- for New England skiing. Dimensions: Tip 117, Waist 72 and Tail 103 mm wide. I agree -- "go narrow", work on the fundamentals, on-piste. Develop good habits! You can always get "powder skis", later. Wider skis can be tried as "demos". I strongly recommend ski lessons from certified instructors.
Get skis that are somewhat "forgiving", as the term goes -- a bit more "flexy". Once you improve to Olympic level, you can buy skis loaded with spring steel and then Titanal. 'Wicked stiff, so you can charge like a monster... :)
'Back in early 2020, on a ski trip to Grand Targhee, I decided to rent demo skis each day, rather than bring my own. I thought the Line Sir Francis Bacon 110's (?) were awful, the first day. 'Too wide, didn't feel right on packed powder. 'Traded 'em in at the end of the day for Head skis that were probably 90-mm underfoot...and then the snow came... :) The Head's felt firm but not rigid, nor terribly heavy, and I got back on my game, so to speak. 'Loved 'em, and used 'em the rest of the trip, five more days skiing. Oh, yes, they were great going through inches of soft, fresh snow, too! I'm not an expert. I was a pretty solid Intermediate -- mostly greens & blues, and skied some black diamonds, too. (Ugh, didn't alpine ski during the past two "Covid seasons" - XC-skiing is fun, but different...)
Ski boots, properly fit, are #1 priority, as another person noted, above.
Good Luck, and Enjoy! I hope these comments help, by the way.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its a decent beginner to intermediate ski,, its a bit "carbony" but in general good allrounder imho.

I doubt its what hindering your learning curve.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I am parallel skiing now (no more wedge turns) and so far I am feeling OK using them on the greens but I took a pretty steep blue the other day and did not end well for me.

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated.
Your skis are likely not the reason you had a hard time. You over-terrained your self - either/both too much for your skill level or more likely too much for your comfort level. Over terraining is a bad idea since it builds bad habits and destroys good technique.

Its easier to work on your technique on narrower skis. More technique leads to more confidence.

OTOH, wider skis like the BC 100 are for when you want to go explore off the groomed runs since they are more forgiving of balance issues, easier to skidd / steer, and can make it easier to ski with confidence on "hard trails" and "difficult snow". Dont think you bought a bad or wrong ski, but its more of a "go for it" ski than a "work on it" ski for a newbie.

Last edited:

Pasha

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier

I love the BC100 and I'm on a lighter side (160lb / 5'11"). There are many stiffer and heavier skis on the market for those who like that kind of stuff.

For the OP: like everyone said, get something in 75-85 under foot range.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely a soft, easy going ski but not my idea of a good ski for cruising down steeper groomed or hard packed runs. They are a fun ski in fresh snow and off piste. I've had them in some of the bowls at Copper and had a good time on them. You did say it's your 1st season but didn't say if you took any lessons. Maybe some instruction / lessons and just a little more experience would help? I am kind of surprised they sold you that particular ski as a 1st season beginner. Maybe I shouldn't be. Ski with an instructor. Actually skiing with you should be the best way to answer your questions and help you.

TS
Jittery3

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
You didn't mention your boots - the wrong boots will stifle your learning curve a lot more than the wrong ski.
Ahh great call out.
I have 2021 Atomic Hawx Ultra 110 S which Evo put me in after going to another local shop who sold me an expensive too advanced and too large of boot. :(

So far I have enjoyed them, even used with rental skis a couple of times.

for those who asked about/mentioned lessons I have taken 3 lessons from Summit at Snoqualmie instructor. On my last one my instructor said I was doing great and just need to keep practicing on the green runs to boost confidence and speed.

I think next season I am going to take weekly alpine lessons as well.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Ahh great call out.
I have 2021 Atomic Hawx Ultra 110 S which Evo put me in after going to another local shop who sold me an expensive too advanced and too large of boot. :(

So far I have enjoyed them, even used with rental skis a couple of times.

for those who asked about/mentioned lessons I have taken 3 lessons from Summit at Snoqualmie instructor. On my last one my instructor said I was doing great and just need to keep practicing on the green runs to boost confidence and speed.

I think next season I am going to take weekly alpine lessons as well.

Fwiw, most shops in and around Seattle will offer a fit guarantee of some sort. If the original boot was from Sturtevants, they will back you 100%, even it means a different boot.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I agree completely about the ski choice. You need to learn to engage the edges of the ski into the snow. A wide ski is more difficult to do that. I loaned a beginner skier a pair of slalom carvers that were short (and soft) for his size. They worked great for him. 66 mm under foot. He will soon outgrow these, but they got him off to a good start.

Beginner skis are soft (floppy) both longitudinally and torsionally so that minor inadvertent movements don't get action from the skis. Big movements are needed to get the skis to respond. As one gets better and makes more correct movements and fewer incorrect movements then the skis can be more responsive. The most responsive skis are made for the best skiers. In any case, wide skis take more leverage to get the edges engaged, and the new skier doesn't have that.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

The ski being too short won't have a dramatic impact. The width is killing him.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I would keep the Bent Chetlers, people who poo-poo a soft, playful ski like that are simply trying to act superior. For many the BC's would be an easy entry point to getting off-piste where the real joy of skiing begins. For reference, Jeff and Bob over at Ski Essentials love that ski. (27:20)

But first get a good groomer ski in the low 80mm width, that will get you up to speed quicker.

ThomasD

Getting off the lift
Skier
As long as your budget allows I agree with the "save them for later" sentiment.

My biggest concerns for you are, they will be more difficult to tip (hence all the good recommendations for something 75-85 ish, and when you do try to tip them that added width is going to generate more strain on your knees. Not a terrible amount, but more than a beginner needs.

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
uhm, to the people saying save them for later, have you skied the BC100? its FRIENDLY I put my beginner friend on them, instant level up, 0 worries.

Sponsor

Staff online