• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bent Chetler 100 for a beginner ski?

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
If you’re interested, I’ll send you my Rossi Avengers, 82, system binding, 162 length. You can have them for the shipping cost, nothing on top. It’s an older ski. 2014 model if memory serves. Anyway, they are yours if you want them, just Venmo me for shipping. Yellow skis in the middle.
C28ED91D-888B-479F-ADD4-34E5981F9DAB.jpeg

TS
Jittery3

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
If you’re interested, I’ll send you my Rossi Avengers, 82, system binding, 162 length. You can have them for the shipping cost, nothing on top. It’s an older ski. 2014 model if memory serves. Anyway, they are yours if you want them, just Venmo me for shipping. Yellow skis in the middle.
WOW, that would be awesome and very generous of you! I will DM you for the info.

At my EVO appt today we decided that I should hold off on buying anything new now and wait until start of next season and try a rental package plan for carvers.. So your offer JeffB is much appreciated.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
The Atomic Bent Chetler 100 would be a great beginner ski if you were learning in deep ungroomed snow, but at that length you would need to be very light. If you are skiing on groomers you need something much more narrow-waisted. 72 for good for learning on hard snow groomers. 82 mm would be ok for softer groomers. I would take up @JeffB 's offer on the Avengers if I were you.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello friends... I am in my first ski season and am comfortable with all the greens I have encountered so far and learning on some blues. I wanted to pick up my own gear as I had been going often and rental $$ were racking up so I went to a local ski shop who ended up being low on stock for beginner ski for my size so sold me a pair of Atomic Bent Chetler 100 (164) w/Attack 11 bindings.

I am parallel skiing now (no more wedge turns) and so far I am feeling OK using them on the greens but I took a pretty steep blue the other day and did not end well for me. Being a newbie and using this intermediate/advanced ski has me wondering if having this ski is hurting my progression as its not for such, and maybe I should try and buy/rent a used progression ski for the rest of this season and start of next and then will have this ski for when I am ready for such a ski.

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated.

A wider ski like the Bent 100 will require more angulation and deliberate movements to get it on edge and pressure properly. That said that ski is still happy to slide and its pretty forgiving so it will allow for lots of mistakes until you are there skills wise as long as snow conditions are forgiving.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Jittery, again, let's focus on where you are, (the PNW) and what you're going (progressing from groomed green to consistent matching parallel turns using turn shaped to control your speed on blue terrain, and possibly skiing easier, ungroomef terrain/low angle afternoon bumps. And yes, the boots matter the most. Be a bit careful with 'carvers' as you might end up with a narrower, but much less forgiving ski.

If I were working with you, I'd like to see you on an 80-85 width ski with a roughly 13-15m turn radius. Something like a Nordica Navigator 80, 85, Wild Belle 84, or a Head V6, V8, Total Joy, or Absolute Joy. Every manufacturer makes this type of ski.

These skis will easily tip, rotate, slip, glide, etc.. and will allow you to access the skills you need to advance your skiing. Now am I an all narrow, all the time person for your ability level? No, but given your profile, let's err on the side of something a bit narrower than your original choice.

Chuck danache

On the road
Skier
Jittery, again, let's focus on where you are, (the PNW) and what you're going (progressing from groomed green to consistent matching parallel turns using turn shaped to control your speed on blue terrain, and possibly skiing easier, ungroomef terrain/low angle afternoon bumps. And yes, the boots matter the most. Be a bit careful with 'carvers' as you might end up with a narrower, but much less forgiving ski.

If I were working with you, I'd like to see you on an 80-85 width ski with a roughly 13-15m turn radius. Something like a Nordica Navigator 80, 85, Wild Belle 84, or a Head V6, V8, Total Joy, or Absolute Joy. Every manufacturer makes this type of ski.

These skis will easily tip, rotate, slip, glide, etc.. and will allow you to access the skills you need to advance your skiing. Now am I an all narrow, all the time person for your ability level? No, but given your profile, let's err on the side of something a bit narrower than your original choice.
My son advanced his skills on the Navigator a few years back, great ski for this purpose.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
uhm, to the people saying save them for later, have you skied the BC100? its FRIENDLY I put my beginner friend on them, instant level up, 0 worries.

Yes! Super fun, playful ski. Optimal for learning? No. Fun for the OP to take out on a new snow/powder day? Yes.

TS
Jittery3

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
So I learned something new, you should wax your skis every 6th time out or so and more if you are skiing in wet/icy conditions as I have been in lately. I found this out by my ski sticking in slushy snow last Tuesday, and then talking to the lifty. I gave the Bent Chetlers a nice wax treatment (2x actually as I didnt get the tips on first go.) I went out on them yesterday and WOWZER what a difference, they were even easier to turn (but also might just be my skills progression as I have been going out 2x weekly).

I am still looking forward to the carvers from JeffB above, but thought I would update the thread on my findings. :D

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would keep the Bent Chetlers, people who poo-poo a soft, playful ski like that are simply trying to act superior. For many the BC's would be an easy entry point to getting off-piste where the real joy of skiing begins. For reference, Jeff and Bob over at Ski Essentials love that ski. (27:20)

But first get a good groomer ski in the low 80mm width, that will get you up to speed quicker.
I don’t get the stiff ski preference for free skiing on un-groomed natural snow surfaces. They aren’t nearly as quick, light or poppy like my bent Chetler 100’s. Those skis are sick! Mine are 180’s though. They may just be most fun ski I’ve ever had. Stiff skis will buck you and the vibrations aren’t absorbed as well tend to run up my spine and through my core. That’s not fun. It actually hurts.

there’s plenty of people out there that still hold the mantra of stiff, racer type skis are for experts and softer skis are for lesser skilled skiers but they’re wrong and you can totally see it in there style when free skiing. For most folks those stiff skis are actually hurting their performance.

Last edited:

Juanito

Putting on skis
Skier
The past weekend we had a houseguest who is a very skilled snowboarder but hadn't been on skis in 30 years. Christy Sports at Silver recommended the Bent Chetler 100s, as they often do for snowboarders. We skied two days at Deer Valley. Day 1 was 1-2" dust over refrozen crust; Day 2 was 6-10" fresh powder.

Our guest did very well on Day 1. The conditions were borderline crappy as we all hunted for patches of loose snow.

On Day 2 we had a blast in the fresh powder. We did steeps, trees, and powder over frozen bumps. Our guest really loved the Bent Chetlers and I have to say I was impressed with the skis.

TS
Jittery3

Jittery3

Putting on skis
Skier
Hello all, thought I would follow up here about my Bent Chetlers and my skiing. I ended up not getting those free carvers, but I did treat myself to some new carvers from Evo for Christmas and today was my first day on them and HOLY COW today is the first day since I started last year my knees are not sore by the end of the day. Even my partner was watching me and said I was doing much better and getting an edge, and whew I felt was flying. Slopes did catch me at 29.6 MPH as top speed while I was carving vs normally on BC 100 going straight catching that speed.

I picked up 2023 Volkl Kendo 88 & Tyrolia Attack 14 (in blue to match skis of course) and I was shocked how much heavier over all they are from my 2022 BC 100 with Attack 11 ( in white) especially when on the lift but as I mentioned above they were very nice. I have an intermediate ski lesson next week and glad I have these for that lesson.

I will keep the BC 100 for when I am ready off-piste and for fun at the terrain parks around here. :)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
You could have tons of fun for the next 5 years with just that 2 ski quiver! The Kendos are not known as a beginner ski but if you are relatively athletic you'll be fine. Good choices in my opinion as I would be happy with them as my own.

Thanks for checking in!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hello friends... I am in my first ski season and am comfortable with all the greens I have encountered so far and learning on some blues. I wanted to pick up my own gear as I had been going often and rental $$ were racking up so I went to a local ski shop who ended up being low on stock for beginner ski for my size so sold me a pair of Atomic Bent Chetler 100 (164) w/Attack 11 bindings.

I am parallel skiing now (no more wedge turns) and so far I am feeling OK using them on the greens but I took a pretty steep blue the other day and did not end well for me. Being a newbie and using this intermediate/advanced ski has me wondering if having this ski is hurting my progression as its not for such, and maybe I should try and buy/rent a used progression ski for the rest of this season and start of next and then will have this ski for when I am ready for such a ski.

Anyone's thoughts are appreciated.

I woulf go with the Bent 90mm’s instead. Should be much easier to handle and still extremely capable.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello all, thought I would follow up here about my Bent Chetlers and my skiing. I ended up not getting those free carvers, but I did treat myself to some new carvers from Evo for Christmas and today was my first day on them and HOLY COW today is the first day since I started last year my knees are not sore by the end of the day. Even my partner was watching me and said I was doing much better and getting an edge, and whew I felt was flying. Slopes did catch me at 29.6 MPH as top speed while I was carving vs normally on BC 100 going straight catching that speed.

I picked up 2023 Volkl Kendo 88 & Tyrolia Attack 14 (in blue to match skis of course) and I was shocked how much heavier over all they are from my 2022 BC 100 with Attack 11 ( in white) especially when on the lift but as I mentioned above they were very nice. I have an intermediate ski lesson next week and glad I have these for that lesson.

I will keep the BC 100 for when I am ready off-piste and for fun at the terrain parks around here. :)

Don’t worry about the weight. For groomer ski weight is good.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
low on stock for beginner ski for my size so sold me a pair of Atomic Bent Chetler 100 (164) w/Attack 11 bindings.
I may have missed it in the thread, but what are your specs (height/weight)?

What length Kendo 88 did you go with? It is a stronger ski, but if you are loving it that is great. The Kanjo 84 may have been a good option too.

I have been trying to demo the Bent Chetler, but have struck out with sizing. It sounds like a line I would enjoy. It should be a great ski for you in the future, and to play around on when you get new snow.

Sponsor