• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best beginner ski areas near NYC

rolat8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
guys - which of the ski areas near nyc like hunter, thunder ridge, windham have the best beginner ski areas - both bunny hill and simply trails to chair lifts. In addition, is it accurate to say that there are less people right at opening time (weekends too?) and better possibility to get a parking spot not too far from where you ski? We are upstate for a vacation and had to walk in our boots for almost 10 mins to the ticket office and that by itself was so tiring

Thanks

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
IMO, in the Poconos I think Montage has the best beginners/low intermediate terrain. BUT!!! carry your boots and put them on in the lodge, you have to go down a set of stairs to the lodge.

In NY State, I think Bellayre has the best beginners terrain, is it is the entire lower mountain and higher level skiers rarely venture down there, so you are segregated.

Early arrival is advised anywhere... I try to get to an area 30 minutes before the lifts start.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In NY State, I think Bellayre has the best beginners terrain, is it is the entire lower mountain and higher level skiers rarely venture down there, so you are segregated.
That's what I was thnking.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There is a small place about an hour from Manhattan called Mt. Peter. It's not far from Harriman State Park. Good for beginners.I used to ski Thunder Ridge 5 decades and a bit ago. Hill hasn't changed much but I'm sure they are pretty snow challenged.

It takes twice as long to get to Bellarye or Windham. Catamount is also a good hill for beginners but is almost as far as the Catskills.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The lower mountain at Belleayre is more well travelled with the addition of the gondola 5ish years ago. Hunter actually has the most segregated beginner area, but “Epic” crowds will likely be an issue on weekends. Any area within close driving distance of NYC will be significantly more enjoyable midweek.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I was coming back to recommend Mt. Peter. I haven't skied there yet, but I met some people who were rhapsodic in their praise. Free lessons for kids! Shhh! Don't tell anyone.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
There is a small place about an hour from Manhattan called Mt. Peter. It's not far from Harriman State Park. Good for beginners.I used to ski Thunder Ridge 5 decades and a bit ago. Hill hasn't changed much but I'm sure they are pretty snow challenged.

It takes twice as long to get to Bellarye or Windham. Catamount is also a good hill for beginners but is almost as far as the Catskills.

Thunder Ridge makes snow, but . . . it's been a rough year.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check length-of-miles to Mohawk Mountain in CT. Smaller mountain, smaller crowds.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mt. Peter doesn't seem to have a snow conditions report on their webpage....gotta wonder how they're doing.

There's also Campgaw if you're ok with a small area. Not that Mt. Peter is much bigger....

TS
R

rolat8

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
guys - amazing to learn of these choices so please keep them coming. I've never heard of some of these places but cutting down from 2 hours to 1 hour is really practical as I can perhaps even pull that off on weekdays right before work. Keep listing any small places you know of as sometimes these small places are really charming

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you looking to ski for an afternoon or wanting to ski for a whole weekend? If it's a weekend vacation I can't name a single area that has enough green terrain for 2 days of skiing within 3 hours of NYC. For local options....

Thunder Ridge, during the week, is a good option if you are "very" beginner. Wide bunny hill with its own chairlift. Mile+ long beginner trails that meander the whole mountain. The mountain gets a very bad rap but snowmaking has improved 10x in the past decade and grooming is now above average for the region. Many poor reviews are from people who are brand new to the sport and don't understand things like rental shop lines normally taking 30 minutes+ busy weekend AM's and that purchasing a DAY ticket at 2pm is stupid and your own fault.

Mohawk is better for someone who's skied and is comfortable on steeper green terrain. All their beginner trails funnel into Pine so there's a lot of traffic concerns. The jump from their bunny hill to their green terrain on the "real" mountain is a VERY big jump just an FYI.

Catamount is straight up Rt 22. Between Catamount in NY and Butternut 15 minutes away in MA you can have a nice weekend retreat on just green slopes. That's what I'd recommend if you want a true vacation. But you will absolutely some trails 3x over... they are still small areas compared to places like Okemo and Killington in VT that have tons of beginner terrain at all stages of "beginner".

I worked at Thunder Ridge for 7 seasons, have over 50 ski days at Mohawk, 10-15 days at both Catamount and Butternut. And plenty of time at other places I would not recommend for your situation like Jiminy Peak, Windham, Berkshire East, etc. I could flood this thread with info depending on how deep you want to go, LOL

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Catamount is straight up Rt 22. Between Catamount in NY and Butternut 15 minutes away in MA you can have a nice weekend retreat on just green slopes. That's what I'd recommend if you want a true vacation. But you will absolutely some trails 3x over... they are still small areas compared to places like Okemo and Killington in VT that have tons of beginner terrain at all stages of "beginner".
If you do Catamount and Butternut, you can stay/eat in Great Barrington, MA overnight. It's pretty crowded and "New York-y" on weekends for locals, but seems idyllic if you're coming from the city.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
guys - which of the ski areas near nyc like hunter, thunder ridge, windham have the best beginner ski areas - both bunny hill and simply trails to chair lifts. In addition, is it accurate to say that there are less people right at opening time (weekends too?) and better possibility to get a parking spot not too far from where you ski? We are upstate for a vacation and had to walk in our boots for almost 10 mins to the ticket office and that by itself was so tiring

Thanks
I haven't been to Mt. Peter, but their business model is intriguing for new skiers, with free lessons with lift ticket on weekends and holidays. Campgaw is also a popular place for beginner skiers.

I technically learned at Mountain Creek, in Vernon, NJ.

But, if you drive to Tannersville, PA, Camelback has a good bunny slope that also connects the lifts to the Green, Blue & Black trails.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback has been pretty crazy crowded these past 2 years. And their "easy" runs from the top are switchbacks and IMO are a huge step up from the bunny slope. Butternut was always a favorite area of mine, I love how the tall pine trees between the runs give you a secluded, "middle of the forest" feel.

Montage has a lot of easier runs at the top. Looking up from the lodge, they gradually get a little steeper as you go from right to left. None of them are all that steep, that's reserved for the bottom half of the mountain. It's kind of the opposite of Belleayre, easy stuff on top, steeper stuff down below, so like Belleayre you do get a fair amount of separation on skier abilities

GB_Ski

Out on the slopes
Skier
Belleayre isn't the best beginner hills because the way the lifts are operating now. Gondola drops you off to one blue run (Deer Run), and all blacks unless you want to skate all the way to the other side which Roaring Brooks (Blue). Lighting Quad has been a nightmare, it breaks down constantly and with mostly newbies unable to load and unload quickly, it's a long and miserable ride. If you ride Lightning Quad all day, then you aren't getting bang for your buck for a day ticket. It also moved the drop-off areas which make a longer walk unless you pay Premium Parking at Overlook, but it's all Blues/Blacks from there to upper mountain.

If you get tired walking in boots for 10 minutes, then I assume you are pure beginners. I would stick with Mt Peter and Thunder Ridge. The trick is to rent your stuff (preferable season rental) before you arrive to the mountain. NYC has a few places, as well as West Chester. Don't rent at the mountains, it's pure chaos. Both mountains will get you up to intermediate level in a season with proper instruction.

I personally feel Windham, Catamount and Jiminy Peaks are better "beginner/intermediate" hills than Belleayre with comparable drive time from NYC.

snwbrdr

Out on the slopes
Skier
Camelback has been pretty crazy crowded these past 2 years. And their "easy" runs from the top are switchbacks and IMO are a huge step up from the bunny slope. Butternut was always a favorite area of mine, I love how the tall pine trees between the runs give you a secluded, "middle of the forest" feel.

Montage has a lot of easier runs at the top. Looking up from the lodge, they gradually get a little steeper as you go from right to left. None of them are all that steep, that's reserved for the bottom half of the mountain. It's kind of the opposite of Belleayre, easy stuff on top, steeper stuff down below, so like Belleayre you do get a fair amount of separation on skier abilities
It's probably because of all the people in NJ and NYC that makes Camelback crowded.

The farther away a mountain is from a big city, the less crowded it usually is for that mountain. Jack Frost/Big Boulder is a little farther away from Camelback, but I don't recall them as crowded as Camelback.

Shawnee is technically closer, never been there, as it gets overshadowed by Camelback.

Sponsor