• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Best" car/truck/van you ever owned

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
Been drooling over it. I just wish I could get the same deal on one that I got on the one we have now.
I bought it in 2008 when GMC was facing bankruptcy, so the deals on big vehicles was stupid good. I ended up paying close to 20,000.00 less than sticker.
I highly doubt that I'll score a deal like that again.
I agree- we even tried to buy a Yukon last summer (outgoing model) with the brand new one coming in the lots. COVID was in high gear keeping people away. They still were not making much of a deal. They acted like the COVID new car sales slump they had at the time was going away the next month and just a one month glitch. They wouldn't deal on the new ones either since it was a new model. We obviously didn't buy.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree- we even tried to buy a Yukon last summer (outgoing model) with the brand new one coming in the lots. COVID was in high gear keeping people away. They still were not making much of a deal. They acted like the COVID new car sales slump they had at the time was going away the next month and just a one month glitch. They wouldn't deal on the new ones either since it was a new model. We obviously didn't buy.
2018's and 19's with 30-40K for miles are going for $40k-ish right now. One of the things we didn't like about this generation was the integrated 3rd row and the sloped rear floor but in doing some research, the seat can easily be removed to get a flat floor. The drivetrain is a big jump from our Jurassic 4 speed in the 08. We are still a year or so our but one of these is back in the mix. Sure we'd love the diesel in the 21...but the price is a tough pill to swallow.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
My favorite and most fun to drive: Tesla
But it is a pain to own them in a state where Tesla cannot operate in = no service centers. I depend on mobile technicians to come to my home to fix small issues. Anything they cannot fix, I’d have to drive/tow my cars to CO/AZ/TX.
It is a pain to take long road trips because I have to plan the route out to make sure there are chargers on the way. Charging can also easily add an hour or two extra to the trip. I cannot make last minute trips or take detours. We still have a gas car for emergencies.
Best thing about them is not having to go to the gas station and they are pretty to look at.
View attachment 119665 View attachment 119667

Would get an X in a heartbeat, once charging infrastructure is more prevalent. It can be a long way between even regular gas stations for us.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Would get an X in a heartbeat, once charging infrastructure is more prevalent. It can be a long way between even regular gas stations for us.
I have not been to a gas station since 2019...I rarely use Superchargers unless absolutely necessary. I’d prefer the X without the falcon wings doors but the Y is just too small...

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I have not been to a gas station since 2019...I rarely use Superchargers unless absolutely necessary. I’d prefer the X without the falcon wings doors but the Y is just too small...

Interesting. Thanks so much. The wing doors and "celebration mode" seem too good to pass up.

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
Interesting. Thanks so much. The wing doors and "celebration mode" seem too good to pass up.
It is a neat trick and was what got my attention at the beginning. But it takes forever to wait for those doors to open/close it has become an inconvenience. There are sensors to make sure the doors will not hit anything on the side/top but I have had a few close calls so I don’t trust them either...

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does Alison make the diesel, or does GM make it somwhere under licence from Alison?

Allison makes the transmission. The GMC Duramax diesel is an Isuzu design.

lisamamot

Lisa MA MOT
Skier
My black 1999 Ford Expedition 4WD, Eddie Bauer model; affectionately nicknamed The Big Black Beast. Unfortunately in 1999 the center seat in the second row had a lap belt and the 3rd row folded in half instead of flat. With our twins still in car seats and starting to have friends travel with us, I needed to go to the mom-mobile minivan for the next handful of years. We were all a little weepy when we traded in the BBB for the minivan, but the Honda Odyssey made much more sense in that stage of our lives and was much easier on the mpg. I now drive a Toyota Highlander which has been great, but my next vehicle is going to have real 4WD again!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January