• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"Best" car/truck/van you ever owned

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Take a look at the trunk space of any hybrid you buy. My stepson and DIL both got Fusion hybrids. He picked up my daughter, wife, and myself at the airport one time, we ended up with one suitcase sitting between us in the back seat because the normally cavernous trunk was more than half taken up with the battery pack. Two suitcases maximum...

Yup, the original Rav4 was cavernous with a truly flat-folding rear seat. The battery in the hybrid version killed that feature.

A BEV (battery electric vehicle) like a Tesla requires huge batteries, but do not confuse that with a hybrid like a Prius that uses a gas engine to charge a SMALL battery. A hydrogen fuel car like a Mirai that uses a hydrogen fueled engine to charge a SMALL battery and has no greenhouse gas emissions and is the reason that industry insiders like it better than a BEV. There just isn't the fueling station infrastructure currently.

Yup, burn hydrogen and.....you get water and energy. I don't know anything about the enviro cost of producing the hydrogen, though.
And you can make Hydrogen from water with alternate power sources. I'm not sure it'll ever catch on..but that's what industry guys were banking on a few years ago if you asked them off the record. Tesla may have changed that but I dunno..the people aren't dumb..

Yup again. It wasn't long ago that Toyota said hydrogen would win, and BMW was looking for long-time customers to pile up miles on a small fleet of H2-powered 750s. Not sure where that ever went, but I did hear that the H2 tanks might have been big.

Mods, if you're bored, we should have a separate thread about this stuff. This is supposed to be the light-hearted fun of "what was your best ski vehicle"!

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Making hydrogen from *pure* water is easy, but storage is hard. You have to compress it to really high pressure (3000+ psi) to store a useful amount in a reasonable container size. Also, as you split it, you have to chill to condense out the water vapor, that or use a desiccant material (which periodically must be replaced). The other issue is the purity of the water matters - you need ultra pure. Trace amount of minerals can foul the electrolyzer.

The process is quite energy intensive. Industrial scale production of hydrogen does not rely on electrolysis. I am not super familiar with the specifics of the industrial processes. Glancing at wikipedia , the typical processes involve fossil fuels. So unless you are capturing and sequestering the CO2 at the plant, there is no 'green' benefit. The wikipedia article notes that the energy content of the raw fossil fuel is higher... better to just burn it directly for power if your intent is to use the product as a fuel and are releasing the CO2 to the atmosphere.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Yup, burn hydrogen and.....you get water and energy. I don't know anything about the enviro cost of producing the hydrogen, though.

Yup again. It wasn't long ago that Toyota said hydrogen would win, and BMW was looking for long-time customers to pile up miles on a small fleet of H2-powered 750s. Not sure where that ever went, but I did hear that the H2 tanks might have been big.

Where that went -> Japan and Australia.

The idea is that Oz makes hydrogen from low-grade fossil sources Japan couldn't use for cooking and heating - not without paying huge for both transport and eco cost in Japan proper.

Vehicle applications are just piggybacking off that intended availability/ local market distortion.

EDIT: There is supposed to be a renewable plant being built:

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Anybody know how the ethanol program in Brazil is working out? For a country with their climates and geography you could grow a LOT of sugar cane.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anybody know how the ethanol program in Brazil is working out?

The impression I always had was that it was basically a giant chew toy for government economists. Kinda like in the US, except tied to inflation rates and currency exchange rates as well. And then there's the suppressive effect US subsidies have on Brazil production.

Someone with more detailed/thorough knowledge should be along shortly.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Anybody know how the ethanol program in Brazil is working out? For a country with their climates and geography you could grow a LOT of sugar cane.

I don't know much of anything about Brazil but imo, land that is capable of growing food crops should not be used to grow crops for fuel.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Best truck:
Technically in my Dad's name, but I sure put a lot of miles on it.
1590060893389.png

(googled up an image)
Speedometer was lacking though...
1590061034413.png

(another random google image) Ours would do "N" mph.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's the coolest car my dad ever owned, at least in my humble opinion. My dad is at the wheel and I am one of the smaller of five kids (!) in the back seat.
1964 bronze ford mustang.jpg

This is a screen grab one of my brothers just made from our old home movies that he saved. This is a 1964 and a half "praire bronze" Ford Mustang convertible. My dad bought it sight unseen from a Ford dealer in southern California where we lived between 1964 and 1966. My oldest brother was going to college in Ohio at the time. When his summer break began he got a ride to Detroit and took delivery of the brand new car for my dad and drove it across the country to Long Beach, CA. My brother was king of Route 66 with that vehicle. That car really turned heads in Southern California the first few years we owned it!
:daffy:

Last edited:

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Deja Vu all over again!

This was my 1st car 1968 in high school Co Springs.
the MGA.jpg

Saw this today in Spokane, had to go back and look. A different car, but this was not a common color on an MGA. Mine was nicer, but this one got me breathing hard.
20200521_162606.jpg

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Deja Vu all over again!

This was my 1st car 1968 in high school Co Springs.
View attachment 102967

Saw this today in Spokane, had to go back and look. A different car, but this was not a common color on an MGA. Mine was nicer, but this one got me breathing hard.
View attachment 102966
Interesting coincidence. I just got an email yesterday from one of my Car racing/engine builder buddies in the UK showing an MGA engine and box shipping out to CA from his shop!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Definitely one of the best ski/outdoor enthusiast cars ever made. I'm in a 1st gen Tacoma now which I love but I very much miss my Outback.
IMG_0435.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Definitely one of the best ski/outdoor enthusiast cars ever made. I'm in a 1st gen Tacoma now which I love but I very much miss my Outback. View attachment 103176
I never warmed up to this generation of Subies, I liked the ones on either side...especially the 05-09. these...it seemed almost every oen was either white like ths or Wintergreen plus so much Tupperware.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I never warmed up to this generation of Subies, I liked the ones on either side...especially the 05-09. these...it seemed almost every oen was either white like ths or Wintergreen plus so much Tupperware.

My only complaint is they are severely under powered. Mine was the 2.5 and it kept me out of trouble for sure but it was a dog up at elevation. The 3.6R before they went to the CVT is the one to get from what I hear. I'm seriously considering getting another one for a daily.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Our daughter's first car, when she got her license was a 2002 Outback "VDC", which has the H-6 engine, their top end trim and the VDC drive. Her's was Garnet Black and gold. Black leather. I bought it through a friend, who took it in trade. Older couple who bought a new one every four years. 38K miles. It was a really great car, and with four Hakka's....a tank in snow, slush, ice. Unfortunately, being our first Subie, I did not know about the flaw in the design of the rear crossmember. In the fall of 2013, she traded it in on a newer one.

I bought a 2005 Legacy GT wagon, two years old, CPO, when I had just had it with my 2003 W8 Passat. Luckily it had a 100K warranty, but it was in the middle of it's third engine out repair, and a news transmission. Our daughter's Subie was like a sewing machine, so I bought the LGT. And it really surprised me. Fit and finish was really poor, but it drove very well. I did some work to it. I thought I would own it for 6 months to a year. Owned it for 8 years. Great car in the winter. If I was a bit heavy with the gas, it really drank fuel.

My daughter's second was a 2009 Outback XT, which like the LGT was a standard trans. Great car for her to have in CO. She bought it with about 70K miles, and at about 115K, it started to show all of the signs that it was going to need even more love. Not a great car for a single woman, in her opinion. She and I went over a list of likely "needs", and did the math. She went car shopping and scored a great price on a new Alltrack, and then we worked them up on a trade in figure. She did not want to sell it herself. We're 2200 miles apart. She hated to sell it, as she loved it. But, it made sense.

Both the LGT and the XT were pretty reliable, but were not cheap to own. My 328xi wagon was much cheaper to run. Not even close.

Good news is that she LOVES the Alltrack, and it's also tremendous in the snow.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Remember Subbies first ad slogans? "Inexpensive, and built to stay that way."
Somebody stretched the truth a bit with that one.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
^^^
The early Subbies were inexpensive, and had a great four wheel drive system. They did have a bit of a rust problem though. My parents had one. I recall when Subaru replaced the inexpensive model with the Legacy. The new model was better; you didn't have to find the rear reservoir for the rear windshield wiper fluid for example. Unfortunately, as my dad said when it came time to replace it, the advantages were not worth the extra $$$$ wanted for the new model.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The invoice price for that 2002 VDC Outback wagon, including things like undercoating, a paint treatment, summer and winter floor mats, cargo mat, etc. was something like $36K. Which was, IMO, pretty excessive compared to other options in the market. Used, 4 years later in MINT condition, I think we paid $12K, with new summer tires added; the dealer agreed to toss in a 24 mo, 24K mile bumper to bumper warranty. They had also baselined maintenance with all new fluids, new brake pads, etc. MSRP on the top end of that generation was high. BUT, if you avoid rust, that H-6 will run, and run and run. The next generation was pretty costly. once the miles added up. At least in our experience.

Gnarvin

Putting on skis
Skier
1993 Toyota Camry with the 2.2L 4 cylinder. Drove it for 19 years and to over 300,000 miles and the only reason I/we stopped driving it was because the Midwest winters took a toll on the body and rust started to show through the white paint. The only issue other than routine maintenance was a small leak in the fuel line which of course happened when I was across the country in the middle of nowhere in Montana and led to a very interesting adventure. This was before cell phones were popular and certainly before mobile data was a thing. The issue with the corrosion of the fuel line can also be blamed on the rough Midwest winters. It didn’t keep the car from running but the national park campgrounds certainly didn’t appreciate gasoline leaking while the car was parked for camping.

It somehow got better gas mileage than my current Toyota Carolla. It also handled driving in snow better than my Carolla despite equally mediocre tires being mounted on each (yes I know the Carolla is lighter and this is likely a large reason it isn’t amazing in snow). It had enough space to fill it up with all the amenities for car camping trips for weeks at a time across the country.

Because of that 1993 Toyota Camry, every single member of my immediate family owns a Toyota. I don’t see myself switching anytime soon, though I have driven some Mercedes SUVs that are tempting me. I have heard that the legendary Toyota reliability may have slipped somewhat as of late, but hopefully I won’t need to worry about that for a while.

Sponsor

Staff online