• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Cell Phone GIS Map Program?

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Finding paper topo maps is getting tougher and tougher. Often times an outdoor store will have a wooden file case full of them, but no map key, and all maps in a state of disarray. I guess that I will have to evolve from my roots.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
First question. Do you own a smartphone? (Serious. My husband has only owned one for 6 months)

If so, the app you chose needs to allow downloads of maps for offline use. I actually use a slew of apps, not all free. Outdooractive was nice in Europe. Fatmap good all over, near as I can tell. I also use Alltrails, Powder Project, Google Maps, on and on. If I hunted, I'd use onXhunt. For mountain biking, I'd use Trailforks. There is probably no one app that is best at everything.

TS
martyg

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Good questions. Just route finding in the field. 99% summer based. Backpacking. Trails and overland travel (overland as in by foot - no trails). US only. No cell signal exists.

Most of my trips are in areas that I know from memory, but am branching out.

I wrote a review for OnX in GearJunkie. I liked it and would consider purchasing that. Curious what others have used.

DSC_0132 copy 3.jpg

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
Caltopo. The web interface is fantastic although the mobile could use improvements depending on your use case. It is the most heavily used by professionals out of all the options for SAR and other things.

I use it for everything: ski touring planning, mountain biking, summer hiking, off trail.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I'd download Outdooractive, Fat Map, etc. They all have free versions and one user interface might be easier than others for you or the area you hike in might be more detailed in one app than another. Then invest ($) in the one you prefer.

I certainly would emphasize that, like a camera, the best map is the one you have with you when you need it, not the one that works best on your PC.

Edit: Caltopo requires you to set up a user ID before you do ANYTHING. A huge issue, IMO.

I took a look at onX Backcountry and I like the maps, but unless I pay I can't see if the paid version outclasses Outdooractive or FatMaps, which have quite an assortment of topo maps when you cough up roughly equivalent money. I can get a discount for onX, but at the moment don't have a use for any of them. I had both FatMaps and Outdooractive for a year. onX is nice that you can see trail slope angles even though you haven't coughed up the $ yet, I'll give them that.

Full disclosure: My daughter works for onX.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online