• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best dedicated carver for me?

switters

Booting up
Skier
Hi all,

I've posted some questions/comments in the "neverending Stockli" thread and a couple of other places about my situation, but I figured I'd start a new thread so I can put all of the info in one place and get some more specific recommendations.

I'm looking for a new dedicated carving ski. I'm in Park City and I ski >100 days a year., 80% at Deer Valley and 20% at PCMR. I'm at the expert level. I've been working with Tom Gellie over the past couple of seasons and really focusing on getting my hips to the snow on my longer turns. For those that use Carv, I'm in the 150-154 range for Ski IQ and averaging 80-84 degree edge angle on my better runs.

I currently have the Head e.Magnums (13 m radius) and also the Blizzard Firebird WRCs (18 m radius). But my daily driver is a custom Parlor ski that is based on a Volkl Race Tiger template. It has a 13 m radius but is 84 underfoot and 183 cm long. I like having a shorter radius with a bit more length and width for stability, and since this ski is wider underfoot it can also handle days with up to 6" of fresh snow. It's a really versatile ski. (I also have a Liberty Origin 101 and Line Vision 118 for fresh snow days. Yeah, lots of skis. Fun to have different options!)

I'm looking to replace the e.Magnums and Firebirds with a single, dedicated carver. I'm hoping to find a ski with the same "chameleon" characteristic my Parlors have of being able to rip short turns but also have more stability in medium and longer turns than a typical slalom ski. This is the ski I would take out when we haven't had fresh snow for a few days, and I know I'm going to stick 100% to the groomers and focus on carving. I don't want a GS type of ski (like the Firebird WRC that I already have) because there just aren't enough days when I feel like I can safely go 40-50 mph and turn it properly.

I'm considering the following options:
  1. Laser WRT ST 172 cm (14.8 m)
  2. Laser SC 170 (14.9 m)
  3. Fischer RC4 The Curv M/O 171 cm (15.5 m)
  4. Head e.Race or e.Race Pro 175 cm (15.5 m)
Any thoughts on which of these would be best, given what I'm looking for?

One challenge is that I can't find the Fischer or Head skis anywhere locally, or online. So I'm not even sure those are an option—unless someone can recommend a source?

Thanks.

CDR114

Booting up
Skier
I had my Laser SC 170 at Beaver Creek last March and they where great fun. Unlike some reviews, I was able to modulate the radius of my carves, dependent on pressure and speed. However they do like to turn and you can make deep hip lowering carves. The carving radius that I skied were probably between 16 and 25 meters. Any wider required feathering the tails. They don't like to run straight. I had no problems with stability or carving up to 50 mph and they handled 3" to 4" of powder just fine. I can't say any further because that was the deepest fresh snow I had during my trip. I had the Laser GS and the Nordica Enforcer 88's with me. The Laser GS was just to stiff for the afternoon crud and for moguls and the crowds limited the ability to let them run. The carving ability of the SC's run circles around the Enforcer 88's and without deeper powder, which may of favored the Enforcers, the SC's didn't have any issues and they were more fun carving and in the moguls. I can't comment on the other skis on your list. The Laser SC's are my fun carving ski (especially on the local small Ohio hill) . Next on my list are the Augment All Mountain 77's (Although, I haven't had them out west yet). For comparison purposes, I own the Stockli Laser GS and the Laser GS FIS, the Stockli Laser SL FIS, Rossignol Hero Masters (17m radius), Rossignol Hero SL FIS, the Blossom Cross Winds (I have only skied them once, so no comments yet), and Rossignol 88 ti's (sold, hated them, loved the older original first version). My ability level is a certified instructor, certified race coach, and Master ski racer.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Drop into Jackson’s Basecamp at PCMR on the ice rink level. Ask for Brendan Wall who is the manager of Jackson’s Hideaway (private ski club one level down underneath the retail store). I believe they have the Heads you might want. If not in stock Brendan is very hooked in with the Head rep and can certainly get them for you pretty promptly.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I would think the Blossom No 1 RC would be perfect for more medium to long radius, and not difficult to make short radius turns. Very stable ski if you don’t necessarily need an always-turning SL type ski.

At least that was my experience.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
S

switters

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, all. I found a new '19/'20 RC4 The Curv (Booster) 171 cm. I think the radius is 15.5m. Although the ski is unused, since it's a couple of years old, the shop owner is giving me a great deal. I'm pretty excited about it!

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Thanks, all. I found a new '19/'20 RC4 The Curv (Booster) 171 cm. I think the radius is 15.5m. Although the ski is unused, since it's a couple of years old, the shop owner is giving me a great deal. I'm pretty excited about it!

That ski is bad a$$. I own a pair. Better bring your "A" game... :)

P.S. Here's the ski in action (hopefully nSkier doesn't mind the repost)

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
From what I've read on this site, the older one is the better one anyway. :thumb:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Without doubt, the Head e.Race Pro 175 cm (15.5 m) will give you what you desire....

Tough finding them at the moment though. I've skied my iRace Pros a bunch this season... great skis!

TS
S

switters

Booting up
Skier
That ski is bad a$$. I own a pair. Better bring your "A" game... :)

P.S. Here's the ski in action (hopefully nSkier doesn't mind the repost)

That's the idea! I've been working with Tom Gellie as my ski coach for the last two seasons. Trying to get my hips to the snow. Still working on it, but getting closer...

Big Stick.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That's the idea! I've been working with Tom Gellie as my ski coach for the last two seasons. Trying to get my hips to the snow. Still working on it, but getting closer...

Consider changing your focus to "cuffs to snow". Most skiers who actively try to get their hips to the snow usually end up hip dumping. This isn't a ski school thread, so if you're interested in more you could start a thread there or PM me. :)

Sponsor

Staff online