• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best DWR?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Have an old pair of Cloudveil RPK pants - great color, full side zips, fit like jeans......but the Water repellent is toast. Nothing beads anymore. Using Nikwax Tx-direct Spray-on after a wash. Any better options out there? Hate to make these my “bluebird only” bottoms

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Grainger also makes a wash-in treatment.
I have found the NIK-Wax spray to work very well though. I believe you have to spray on and then put in dryer on HIGH.

Those were great pants.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Grainger also makes a wash-in treatment.
I have found the NIK-Wax spray to work very well though. I believe you have to spray on and then put in dryer on HIGH.

Those were great pants.

Thanks - I’ll try the Grainger - been doing that process with Nikwax

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
I've used the Nikwax Techwash for washing/cleaning (with extra rinse cycle) process, then once the garments are clean just added the Nikwax TX Direct wash in into the machine and run another cycle (without extra rinse). Once it's finished I'll pop it into the dryer as directed.

I find it's easier and less messy than spray on treatments and have been pleased with the results. (Amazon often has good deals on the twin packs or larger size bottles which are sometimes hard to find locally)

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I have used the Granger's spray on repel with good success. I'm highly suspicious of the wash-in based treatments as this is not how the manufacturers apply DWR. Do you really want the insides of your gear to be water repellent? Wouldn't that impact breathability more than a light spray on coat on the outside of the shell? I'm asking, not just rhetorical.

Rich McP

H20nSnow Elsewhere
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used the Granger's spray on repel with good success. I'm highly suspicious of the wash-in based treatments as this is not how the manufacturers apply DWR. Do you really want the insides of your gear to be water repellent? Wouldn't that impact breathability more than a light spray on coat on the outside of the shell? I'm asking, not just rhetorical.
According to Nikwax and some of the clothing manufacturers: No, wash-in does not create that problem. If you think about it, what you are suggesting - that coating the inside would reduce breataibility - would already have been caused to coating the outside. DWR treatments allow breathability because they coat the threads without plugging the holes between the threads, or the holes in the waterproof membrane (Gore-Tex, or the like). The manufacturers don't want you to use wash-in for insulated or fleese lined garments, but none of the manufacturers of any of the products I own have a problem with wash in for straight shell products.

TS
givethepigeye

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
^ this is why I have not used the wash in version in the past. These are pants and Im not skinning anywhere - so would be open to using the wash in for this, but probably not a shell. I don't get too swampy anyway

@Rich McP covered it....nevermind.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
According to Nikwax and some of the clothing manufacturers: No, wash-in does not create that problem. If you think about it, what you are suggesting - that coating the inside would reduce breataibility - would already have been caused to coating the outside. DWR treatments allow breathability because they coat the threads without plugging the holes between the threads, or the holes in the waterproof membrane (Gore-Tex, or the like). The manufacturers don't want you to use wash-in for insulated or fleese lined garments, but none of the manufacturers of any of the products I own have a problem with wash in for straight shell products.

The important distinction here then is whether the garment is insulated or not. That's why I don't use wash-in products because all of my current "active" pieces are insulated. I gave up on the use of many layers approach years ago. Too much hassle.

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I use Scotchgard here in the PNW. Everything gets washed in Woolite and rinsed 100% prior to spray. My young boys stay dry ALL DAY washing/spraying jackets every ~6 days. The adult gear only gets washed/sprayed every ~10? days. I used to have very affordable access to Nikwax products, and used it a ton. I prefer Scotchgard.

Best "stock DWR" is HANDS DOWN whatever Burton uses on their sub-$200 "Cargo Pant". What IS that stuff?!

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
Gear Aid Revive-X is the third option on the market. Particularly for the washes they are the best priced product out there.

Heeler

Doug M.
Skier
The manufacturers don't want you to use wash-in for insulated or fleese lined garments
Great point that I didn't think to mention. All of my gear are "shells" with adequate to very good venting. Personally I love the option(s) of layering and have it dialed in very well for any given conditions.

I gave up on the use of many layers approach years ago. Too much hassle.

That's one reason I tend to use my gear for so long. There is a bit of a learning curve to get it right consistently. :beercheer:

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have had good luck with Camp Dry (recently acquired by Kiwi, apparently) for my skiing, hunting, and hiking stuff; it comes in spray cans for application to dry fabrics and surfaces:

Kiwi Camp Dry Performance Fabric Protector (blue background). I use this on all performance parkas and pants with great results.

Kiwi Camp Dry Heavy Duty Water Repellant Tough Silicone (green background) for leather, canvas and breathable fabrics, etc.

Kiwi Camp Dry Boot Protector Tough Silicone (maroon background) for work and outdoor boots.

That said, I use Sno-Seal on the real-deal heavy duty winter leather boots...

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should have mentioned above that I wash my performance fabrics with Nikwax Tech Wash before applying the spray-on.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been a bit dissapointed in the Nikwax wash in and Spray on, as far as performance and durability.(And I use it many times a year, becasue we have many Paramo garments)
It is hard to know what is better though, since all the other brands have been changing their formulas. A few years ago, many used Fluoro compounds, and those are being pulled from the market for environmental reasons(which is good). It does mean that a brand you loved a few years back, might be different now.

I bought a few bottles of a German brand, becasue one of the German outdoor magazines ran a test of these products, and that one came out best. But, that’s maybe a bit crazy, ordering DWR from Europe :rolleyes:

In the past I have liked Grangers.

For I uninsulated shell garments, I vary treatment. First time a washer and dryer cycle is often all that’s needed. Next time it needs a bit of love, I’ll hit shoulders/knees etc with spray on after washing and before dryer. The next time it needs treatment I’ll wash it, do wash-in DWR and dryer. Then back to just washing and drying again, etc.

Last edited:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I should have mentioned above that I wash my performance fabrics with Nikwax Tech Wash before applying the spray-on.
Heads up to us all: “multiple rinse“ is often insufficient. Once I put my jacket in the bathtub after washing on a cycle that had several rinses, and foam started forming.
Since then, I use as many rinse cycles as possible on my machine.

Reactions: NE1

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Heads up to us all: “multiple rinse“ is often insufficient. Once I put my jacket in the bathtub after washing on a cycle that had several rinses, and foam started forming.
Since then, I use as many rinse cycles as possible on my machine.

Truth, esp in the new, super energy efficient machines. We just moved, and the previous owners gave us theirs at the last minute. We thought it was a major score, but it didn't really clean dirty clothes well, esp mtb poly.

Come to find that the clothes never really get fully immersed, even during the rinse. We went back to slightly less fancy units that allow you to choose your water level manually,......

And, to arrest the drift, Graingers FTW IMO!

Sponsor

Staff online