• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Agree.
IME, yellow lenses FTW. They increase perceived light-dark contrast like no other.

Last edited:

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here on the east coast I'm now pimpn' Clear lenses in my Smith Goggles. Cheap $25 lens... I keep one set of Chromapop Storm Yellow 65%VLT at the ready for sunny days... I'm loving the Clear for the woods and shade. When out west is the only time I break out anything darker.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Finally had a day I could use the chromapop lenses I got 2 years ago...cloudy with light snow all day. Hands down the best visibility and contrast I have ever had in these conditions. Worth every penny!

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
So I recently tried Abom's new Sonar High Contrast lens with an orange tint and was very happy with how it worked in flat light and heavy snow conditions

1614128963599.png

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Bump - any experiences with the Smith Chromapop Polychromatic Rose Flash?

Looking for a one goggle lens solution for most of the time with flat light storm days accomodated. They seem to claim this lightens to a VLT the same as the Storm Rose but obviously will darken due to the photoreactivity. Is the claim justified or am I better looking for a multi lens solution?

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bump - any experiences with the Smith Chromapop Polychromatic Rose Flash?

Looking for a one goggle lens solution for most of the time with flat light storm days accomodated. They seem to claim this lightens to a VLT the same as the Storm Rose but obviously will darken due to the photoreactivity. Is the claim justified or am I better looking for a multi lens solution?
I have found photochromic are too dark if any UV is present they darken down. Also they can't lighten up quick enough skiing at mach into a shadows on a bright day!

I have found the Oakley Prizm Persimmon to give a bit better Contrast than the Hi Pink. https://www.sportrx.com/blog/oakley-prizm-persimmon-vs-hi-pink/

I have both those Prizms as well as a handful of others. And honestly above the tree line in heavy snow or fog or hard overcast, I can't see a damn thing anymore! Truly miserable! Also have every Zevo lens they make with the Magnetix. So I can easily change on the hill. But I think Oakleys Optics are better. Usually use the orange tinted blue mirror. Tried Chroma-Pop.......Nope! I pretty much stay next to the trees on these days.

I was at Whistler up on top of Harmony Bowl year before last and truly paralyzed.......Could not see anything!

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the photochromic rose flash. I like the lens but I don't think it's a one-lens solution. Whenever there's flat light or snow I use my storm yellow lens as it lets in more light and has better contrast, to my eye anyway. I agree with @Atomicman that they don't lighten up quick enough.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have found photochromic are too dark if any UV is present they darken down. Also they can't lighten up quick enough skiing at mach into a shadows on a bright day!
This

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm. A bit as I expected.

Problem with the 2 lens options is the stock dark lens is likely too dark for me so I'd end up buying a third Cat 2 lens.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Problem with the 2 lens options is the stock dark lens is likely too dark for me so I'd end up buying a third Cat 2 lens.
If you just wait until you're a bit older your low-light vision might get bad enough that you want very high VLT in every condition, er, under the sun, and then you'll be all set with a single lens. Now, "will it be clear or tinted?" is the question!

In other words, count your blessings and resign yourself to lens changes.

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I bought the Julbo Photochromic lenses last year. They have 2 lenses that cover category 1, 2 & 3. One is for enhancing contrast and one is for light enhancement. I haven't tried the light enhancement lens yet but love the enhanced contrast in all but dead flat light but will be trying the other this winter as well.

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Don’t underestimate cheep googles from Outdoor Masters. I have several frames and six different lenses. Fun to geek out swapping them around. And no worries about scratching, trashing, loosing etc. No fogging. Lenses attached with magnets. No complaints after two seasons. They advertise on the this forum and often have discount coupons and sales. I may have so
coupons in my email come to think of it. Their ski boot bags are fine too and are not breaking the bank.

For flat light I go with either light yellow or light green depending on conditions and my mood. I’m having too much fun swapping lenses to be honest. The 24% orange seems to be most versatile: not the best for real low light but great for getting in and out of shaded parts.

Polarized light yellow and the dark grey are very comfortable. The multicolored ones are good in bright sun and have bright feel.

Bonus points: mrs P gets to use all and any of them.

Attachments

• DD4698C0-DE87-409F-889D-1D1DE6DCAEDC.jpeg
    DD4698C0-DE87-409F-889D-1D1DE6DCAEDC.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Buy Everyday green or Violet. Green has a very strong pink tint but don't worry, your eyes adapt quickly and the Violet is amber. Both are very nice.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Polarized lenses are moot---sun reflected off snow isn't polarized, no harm, but not worth any extra cost.

Oakley isn't the best for my eyes. The other new-tech lenses I've tried all work better for me. Oakley is great for some folks. My favorites--Smith Chromapop, Dragon Lumalens, Spy Happy. I'll try some Zeiss Sonar lenses in TGR goggles soon. I compared Chromapop with some standard Smith RC36---big improvement by the Chromapop in picking up contrast.

As I get older my eyes react to sudden loss of light more slowly. Skiing from sun into shadow is now much of a guessing game for a few seconds. I haven't tried photochromic ski goggles, but I'd be cautious about buying some without maybe borrowing some from a friend for a try on a sunny day.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Polarized lenses are moot---sun reflected off snow isn't polarized, no harm, but not worth any extra cost.

Oakley isn't the best for my eyes. The other new-tech lenses I've tried all work better for me. Oakley is great for some folks. My favorites--Smith Chromapop, Dragon Lumalens, Spy Happy. I'll try some Zeiss Sonar lenses in TGR goggles soon. I compared Chromapop with some standard Smith RC36---big improvement by the Chromapop in picking up contrast.

As I get older my eyes react to sudden loss of light more slowly. Skiing from sun into shadow is now much of a guessing game for a few seconds. I haven't tried photochromic ski goggles, but I'd be cautious about buying some without maybe borrowing some from a friend for a try on a sunny day.
1. Ditto on polarized lenses, glad that somebody understands the physics. Chromapop is not really picking up contrast, all the talk about spectral light filtering is a bunch of marketing BS. My strong impression is that Chromapop lenses are made of Trivex (NXT) as opposed to polycarbonate, which has higher dispersion and lower clarity. A clearer picture from Chromapop is perceived as increased contrast. The rest is just blue light filtering, which is mostly what the Oakley Prism does. Blue light scatters more strongly, thus decreasing visual contrast.

2. I LOVE photochromicI understand the conundrum about skiing into the shadows and not having the lens to react fast enough, but come on, you are not changing lenses on the fly while you are skiing. With the photochromic lens if it becomes cloudy in the afternoon I am covered without having to ski down to the base or having to carry a fragile lens in my pocket. The now discontinued POC NXT photochromic goggles remain my strong favorites over anything else on the market. For now I have to survive with a non-photochromic Smith Chromapop 4D. I like the expanded field of view of the 4D lens though.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
but come on, you are not changing lenses on the fly while you are skiing.

I have been known to stop mid-run and swap the lenses of either the 4D Mag or Anon M4. :ogbiggrin:
Problem with photochromic lenses is that even when it appears cloudy but there is enough UV light, they go dark. Although it still appears cloudy. Which sucks.
Carrying a spare lens is never a problem for me as for instance the M4s come in nice sturdy cases, never broke one.
That said, I found that Everyday lenses from Smith, or equivalent from other brands-22-24 VLT work great in like 80% of the situations.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Well I've gone regular Chromapop. Don't know if the sun lens will see much use ( wasn't an everyday in the package for the goggle I went for.) But I expect the Storm Rose will see plenty of use. I've got other goggs with persimmon/ orange lenses for the brighter days.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January