• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am not sure flat light is that complicated. I think it is as simple as, light comes equally from 360 degrees.....causing ZERO shadows/contrast.

As soon as, you are near the trees, voila!, you can see. Did the blue light suddenly disappear, no! Just no longer 360 degrees of equal light. Have you noticed there is never flat light night skiing? The artificial lighting comes from one direction and causes shadows so you can see the contour of the snow.

Since none of the "NEW" technology really seems to work in flat light. I have PRIZM & Chromapop and all the Xevo lenses, none of this nonsense works in true flat conditions. Being above the Treeline or an open bowl in fl;at conditions is miserable no matter what lense you use.

For those curious about Photochromic.......Nn thanks! Since UV is the sauce that darkens them and there is plenty of UV on cloudy days, in fact some cloud there is increased UV rays, photochromics are too dark for me and stay dark and then don't lighten up fast enough (not even close) when skiing into shade, leaving you almost blind! I have tried multiple photochromic lenses and they just aren't for me!

TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
@David

No love for the Sonar lens? I’ve not tried it yet

my dad just had the cataract lens replacement surgery recently and is amazed by the results. He doesn’t need to wear his glasses anymore (he says) he wore glasses all 45 years I’ve know him lol
I'm not familiar with them. The sad face was for not finding a lens he likes yet.

TS
David

David

Skier
I am not sure flat light is that complicated. I think it is as simple as, light comes equally from 360 degrees.....causing ZERO shadows/contrast.

As soon as, you are near the trees, voila!, you can see. Did the blue light suddenly disappear, no! Just no longer 360 degrees of equal light. Have you noticed there is never flat light night skiing? The artificial lighting comes from one direction and causes shadows so you can see the contour of the snow.

Since none of the "NEW" technology really seems to work in flat light. I have PRIZM & Chromapop and all the Xevo lenses, none of this nonsense works in true flat conditions. Being above the Treeline or an open bowl in fl;at conditions is miserable no matter what lense you use.

For those curious about Photochromic.......Nn thanks! Since UV is the sauce that darkens them and there is plenty of UV on cloudy days, in fact some cloud there is increased UV rays, photochromics are too dark for me and stay dark and then don't lighten up fast enough (not even close) when skiing into shade, leaving you almost blind! I have tried multiple photochromic lenses and they just aren't for me!
I tried the Julbo cat 1-3 red based photochromic lens last year and liked them a lot. But in bright sun they could have been darker and flat light a little lighter. This summer I picked up the same lens but in a yellow base that I think is much better in flat light but I haven't tried them yet in sun. Maybe the sun will come out this weekend.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Zeal Optics - Potral XL frame -Sky Blue Mirror lens- 65%VLT. Hands down the lens that is on my face December thru February here at Killington. The cool transition lens that varies from 38%-18% VLT is good real early season and from March on. Retail price of $299 is on the higher side but well worth the price of sight.

IMG_1507.jpg

TS
David

David

Skier
Zeal Optics - Potral XL frame -Sky Blue Mirror lens- 65%VLT. Hands down the lens that is on my face December thru February here at Killington. The cool transition lens that varies from 38%-18% VLT is good real early season and from March on. Retail price of $299 is on the higher side but well worth the price of sight.

View attachment 151574
I'm still experimenting with Julbo's 17% - 75% lenses for every light condition.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I'm still experimenting with Julbo's 17% - 75% lenses for every light condition.

same here. I got the Julbo Aerospace in the 1-3 and the Skydome in the 1-3 HC. I’m running RX inserts in both. So far I like the 1-3 HC best. I haven’t tried the Skydome 2-4 yet, they are still on the shelf as it’s been just so cloudy so far this year..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Zeal Optics - Potral XL frame -Sky Blue Mirror lens- 65%VLT. Hands down the lens that is on my face December thru February here at Killington.

IMO, that is a GREAT flat light lens.

I often have great luck finding Zeal goggles at crazy discounts in April.

But my Zeals are big, and the fit with a helmet is kind of tight, so they only get used for hat skiing, which I'll move right on from discussing any further...... :ogbiggrin:

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm going to try photochromic lenses this year as well. I've had Smith iOX goggles since the pre-Chromapop days, and have subsequently bought several low light Chromopop lenses. I've been underwhelmed by the low light performance (good but not great in both the pink and yellow lenses to my eyes), fogging problems (exacerbated by COVID masking), and NEVER find myself shifting out lenses (I deal with the extra sun as a trade-off for superior vision in the shadows).

I've just bought (but haven't yet used) Bolle Nevada goggles with a photochromic Phantom+ lens. The pluses:

• Trivex (NXT) lens
  • Solid top VLT of 51% (claimed)
  • A unique 50% polarized filter that is supposed to help with glare ice (we'll see)
  • Strong online reviews
  • A nice low price point as compared to the $250 - $300+ premium market
I'll provide an update next month once I've had several days of experience with them.
Update on the Bolle Nevada goggle with a photochromic Phantom+ lens:

I skied three days in widely varying light conditions at Sunday River this week (everything from super bright morning sun to snow and some fog), as well as variable early season snow conditions (mix between scratchy, skied off areas, packed powder, and afternoon snow mounds). I'm very happy with the goggles -- they are far better than my previous Smith iOX goggles.

The NXT lens offers very high clarity. The light amber photochromic lens adjusts quickly to changing light conditions (unlike some, I don't really notice the lens getting darker or lighter: I simply notice less glare or better visibility depending on the conditions). I had zero fogging issues, even after skiing the bumps on White Heat. And while the lenses are slightly darker in low light conditions that the yellow Chromapop lens, I had no trouble seeing skied off areas and clumps of pushed around snow.

No lens is perfect in horrible, white-out conditions. But these Phantom+ lenses work very well for my eyes. And the goggle is comfortable and offers a solid field of vision (although not as wide as some of the newer Toric shaped lenses out there).

Bolle seems to have lost quite a bit of cachet in the U.S. goggle market these days. I think they are worth a look or two for those people prioritizing lens quality who haven't found the right goggle among the Smiths, Oakleys, and Anons of the world.

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
Most of my skiing is Ohio and Michigan. I struggle with the flat light caused by grey skies. My current goggles are the Smith Prophecy Turbo Fan (i wear glasses) with the ignitor mirror lenses (red ish) My question is if i buy a higher end goggle such as Smith IO Mag XL or any other high end goggles am i going to notice much of an improvement? The sun is very rare around here in the winter.

jt10000

步步高升
Skier
Most of my skiing is Ohio and Michigan. I struggle with the flat light caused by grey skies. My current goggles are the Smith Prophecy Turbo Fan (i wear glasses) with the ignitor mirror lenses (red ish) My question is if i buy a higher end goggle such as Smith IO Mag XL or any other high end goggles am i going to notice much of an improvement? The sun is very rare around here in the winter.
I haven't used Ignitor in alpine skiing but have used it cycling and XC skiing. That's a great all-around lens color, but I'm sure there are better tints for flat light and low light.

TS
David

David

Skier
I'm in MI and feel your pain especially with my retina issues. The best I've found in dead flat is the Giro Vivid lens but above tree line I still can't see the snow I'm standing on let alone skiing. Too bad there isn't a way to demo goggles!

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I can't give up my Turbo Fans due to fogging. But if you decide to give up yours I'll gladly take them off your hands. Trying to stockpile some for the future.

I do have 4 different lenses for my Prophecys but none are the cure for flat light. Best is one of the Chromapop Storm lenses.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

This is so effing true, I just cant give it enough likes!

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is so effing true, I just cant give it enough likes!
Thanks Tony, just simply what I have experienced. I am sure blue light is not a great thing, but I think it's Voodoo in regard to flat light. If the light is totally diffused I don't care what color the lens is I can't see good enough to ski with any confidence. Yes I can ski by feel, but it's not a lot of fun!

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks Tony, just simply what I have experienced. I am sure blue light is not a great thing, but I think it's Voodoo in regard to flat light. If the light is totally diffused I don't care what color the lens is I can't see good enough to ski with any confidence. Yes I can ski by feel, but it's not a lot of fun!

Totally!

In full flat light you just use The Force. :ogbiggrin:

Or call it a day.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Totally!

In full flat light you just use The Force. :ogbiggrin:

Or call it a day.
2 years ago we were at Whistler, up at the top of Harmony Bowl, obviously above the tree line, light 100% flat...the absolute worst! I couldn't see a damn thing........brutal getting, down until I got to some trees! And once we were off the very top 2 feet of Cascade Concrete besides ! :geek:

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...at Whistler, up at the top of Harmony Bowl, obviously above the tree line, light 100% flat...
I had a similar experience there... as I came down out of some fog, I thought I had gotten to better visibility and a smooth pretty flat groomer..... but all of the sudden I was going up... there was a large roller I couldn't even make out. Kind of freaky feeling.

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
The flat light I ski in the Midwest, is much different than the flat light I have skied in Colorado. In the back bowls of Vail, I have literally tipped over lol. The problems in the Midwest seem like its a lack of any definition (contrast?) on the trail. In both cases its hard to see, but in the Midwest I have never had it so bad, that I just tipped over. Fog issues are fog issues and the hills in the Midwest if you have fog at the top you have fog at the bottom, and i don't expect any current goggle to help with that.

So I guess maybe i should rephrase my question to the following. "Will i notice a difference between a high end goggle lens with a high VLT for grey weather skiing? Or am I just going to have to suck it up :)

plannersteve

Booting up
Skier
No shortage of fog and flat light at Schweitzer. I recently switched to Smith 4D Mag goggles. I find the CP Storm Yellow Flash to work best on a darker foggy day. But sometimes we are in a cloud/fog and there is still some brightness. In this condition, I find the CP Storm Blue Sensor Mirror to work better. I can tolerate the sun coming out with the CP Storm Blue Sensor Mirror, but I need to change out the Storm Yellow Flash if we get any break in the overcast/fog.

Prior to these goggles I had Oakley and Persimmon was my favorite flat light lens. I prefer the CP Storm Blue Sensor Mirror over these.