• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Which photochromatic lens did you order? I'm debating between the Crystal Ice and the Atomic Orange. Maybe I'll get a goggle with one and extra lens with the other.

My other lenses are Resolution Red and Sonar, which are kind of close, though the Sonar has been better for flat light, and I've had a lot of those days this season. I'm wondering if the Atomic Orange may overlap with the lenses I have.
I ordered two pairs of goggles with one of each. I think the Atomic may be the better of the two but we will find out. If I like what I see I will probably grab another pair. Personally I really like the Sonar as that lens has been phenomenal in PNW conditions

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I am debating about which color lens. I can't figure out: is the clear lens simply clear? Or is it designed like most low-light lenses, to increase the visibility of snow texture?''

Otherwise I suppose I could go with a photochromatic, but frankly, I never need a bright light lens here in the East. I just want the best low-light lens they sell that's not sold out.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am debating about which color lens. I can't figure out: is the clear lens simply clear? Or is it designed like most low-light lenses, to increase the visibility of snow texture?''

Otherwise I suppose I could go with a photochromatic, but frankly, I never need a bright light lens here in the East. I just want the best low-light lens they sell that's not sold out.
The clear lens is great for night skiing or for storm skiing. I use the clear a lot.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have been wanting to get a pair of high end goggles so now may be the time. Recommended lens(es)? I’m thinking the Atomic Orange photo chromatic but the Sonic sounds great for PNW grey. How do they work in that freezing fog/mist? Does it keep the lens clear?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The clear lens is great for night skiing or for storm skiing. I use the clear a lot.
On the lens chart, the photochromatic Crystal Ice has a VLT range from 25% to 77%, and the clear lens is 77%. I'm hoping the Crystal Ice can indeed be both a clear lens and a dark lens.

The Atomic Orange is listed at 25% VLT to 70%, so not apparently as clear as a clear lens. Maybe that's nitpicking.

Any info or feedback you can provide?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@David Chaus

I've chosen the "wrong" lens several times. Dark when clear is optimal, clear when dark is optimal. Overall, I was able to see well and did not tire out my eyes.

The best thing about ABOM goggles is not the defogging heater, the quality and the clarity of the lenses are superior. Many goggles are like looking through cheap scratched plastic. ABOM goggles are like looking through well made optical glass.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
That is so sad to hear about Abom. I've enjoyed their products and services/warranty. I've picked up another pair yesterday - just couldn't decide on any extra lens.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sad to see a quality product fail when so many inferior products thrive. I bought another pair that may last me my skiing days

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Missed out on the Abom bandwagon. Super happy with Zeal as a top quality flat light crushing goggle.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Well it is now official, their website reads that they are closing shop for good March 31st. They are also sold out of goggles (glad I picked up 2 pairs earlier in the week) but are selling their remaining lenses. Very sad as these goggles were in a class all their own with their instant defog capabilities. I also thought their lens were a cut above as the had hi-quality carbonate on both inner and outer lenses which meant you could wipe the inner lens without damaging it. It also gave amazing clarity in pretty much all conditions. Will be getting their Photochromatic lenses next week and look forward to trying them out, if they are of the same quality as what we have come to expect from Abom they should be pretty spectacular. Sad to see such a great product and company going away. Hopefully one of the bigger established brands will license their technology, but who is kidding who, if that happens they will likely be a $500+ Goggle .... bottom line Abom was really a cut above the rest RIP.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I'm hoping they rise like a phoenix out of the ashes once all this supply chain/covid/labor shortage mess calms down. Maybe a year or two?
I think that was only part of their problem, they never really cracked the mainstream ski market which is a real shame. Not sure why that is, but pretty sure that with a small business/startup cash flow must take a big hit when you cannot get the parts needed to make your product. That said tons of value in their IP and I am sure that there are other companies who would love to acquire that ..... just not sure those companies are focused on the ski market.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
On the lens chart, the photochromatic Crystal Ice has a VLT range from 25% to 77%, and the clear lens is 77%. I'm hoping the Crystal Ice can indeed be both a clear lens and a dark lens.

The Atomic Orange is listed at 25% VLT to 70%, so not apparently as clear as a clear lens. Maybe that's nitpicking.

Any info or feedback you can provide?
So far I really like my Julbo cat 1-3 with 17-75% VLT. They're dark enough for bright mountain sun and light enough for flat light & night skiing.

vecdran

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Which photochromatic lens did you order? I'm debating between the Crystal Ice and the Atomic Orange. Maybe I'll get a goggle with one and extra lens with the other.

My other lenses are Resolution Red and Sonar, which are kind of close, though the Sonar has been better for flat light, and I've had a lot of those days this season. I'm wondering if the Atomic Orange may overlap with the lenses I have.

I have two days now on the photochromatic Atomic Orange. At home, I left them out in the sun, and I was unimpressed with their apparent lack of tint shifting, but after riding with them at Heavenly, they worked like a charm. It was a mixture of low clouds, party cloudy, and full bluebird, and I never once felt like they were too bright or too dark. Took a selfie at one point and I was surprised at how dark they had gotten. The yellow-orange provided good contrast with the snow.

They are now my go-to for variable light days, to the point I bought one more for long-term backup.

That is so sad to hear about Abom. I've enjoyed their products and services/warranty. I've picked up another pair yesterday - just couldn't decide on any extra lens.

I've got a spare "Silver Blaze – Amber w/ Silver Mirror Front" kicking around that I'm not going to use. Brand new and unused, with a Ripclear lens protector (another dead company...). I'd be willing to let it walk away for what I paid for it plus shipping, if you or anyone else want it.

Last edited:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve acquired both the Atomic Orange and the Crystal Ice and was able to compare them while at the Aspen Gathering. The weather was sunny and warm most days and for these conditions either lens works great. I haven’t been able to compare them with cloudy conditions, though when I was at Copper in a snowstorm I automatically went for the Sonar lens (orange, supposed higher contrast).

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I’ve acquired both the Atomic Orange and the Crystal Ice and was able to compare them while at the Aspen Gathering. The weather was sunny and warm most days and for these conditions either lens works great. I haven’t been able to compare them with cloudy conditions, though when I was at Copper in a snowstorm I automatically went for the Sonar lens (orange, supposed higher contrast).
My daughter used the Atomic Orange on an overcast day at Crystal a few weeks back during her Freeride competition, they worked amazingly well and the orange tint gave a nice contrast in the lower/flat light. Pretty crazy how dark the lenses get too when exposed to bright sunshine.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
So Abom closed its doors about 7 months back, which was a real shame as they had an amazing product. Well low and behold there are suddenly at least 3 new goggles on the market that have essentially copied their defog technology

I am sure if we search hard enough we will probably find at least 5 or 6 more Abom knock offs. I sure hope they are getting licensing fees for the use of their IP as the Goggles on sale for $34 on Amazon have some desing images that look a little too similar to what Abom had. Here is hoping that Abom licenses to a company that can take their tech to the next level.

James

Out There
Instructor
Look like Chinese knockoffs?
The royalty check is in the mail.