• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Cut it where it's breaking, overlap the ends and sew them together.
Unfortunately towards the end when they were having supply issues they subbed their original straps for the one you got. I received a pair like that but called them and got a replacement strap. If I still have the original one that I replaced you are welcome to it, though I think we may have gotten rid of it, will have to look around.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting! I have the new Julbo photocromatic lens that adjusts from category 1 - 4. So far they are amazing in all conditions!

The Blister Gear:30 podcast had an interview with the CEO of Julbo in the US. Their photochromic lens technology sounds really interesting and perhaps a step ahead of the competition. I’m really happy with my Smith I/O Mag 4D goggles, but I was pretty tempted to go pick up a pair of Julbos after I listened to that podcast.

Dakiddpenny

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Unfortunately towards the end when they were having supply issues they subbed their original straps for the one you got. I received a pair like that but called them and got a replacement strap. If I still have the original one that I replaced you are welcome to it, though I think we may have gotten rid of it, will have to look around.
Thank you- yes, I wish I’d been smarter to ask them back then like you did!

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
All I needed to hear was Zeiss. :D I’ve owned a half dozen Zeiss camera lenses and I know they are very aware of the value of their brand and don’t lend their expertise and name to just anything. That and extremely rigid quality control and engineering alone should make these worth a look.

James

Out There
Instructor
All I needed to hear was Zeiss. :D I’ve owned a half dozen Zeiss camera lenses and I know they are very aware of the value of their brand and don’t lend their expertise and name to just anything. That and extremely rigid quality control and engineering alone should make these worth a look.
The association isn’t necessarily meaningful.
Back when Zeiss was first getting slapped on goggle lenses, there was a guy on epic who had info on the production process. He declared the Zeiss name on the lenses just a bunch of fluff and marketing. Smith at that time were still superior in construction.

So no, it wasn’t worthy of the name.

Whether it’s any different now, no idea.

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The association isn’t necessarily meaningful.
Back when Zeiss was first getting slapped on goggle lenses, there was a guy on epic who had info on the production process. He declared the Zeiss name on the lenses just a bunch of fluff and marketing. Smith at that time were still superior in construction.

So no, it wasn’t worthy of the name.

Whether it’s any different now, no idea.
Yes, I’m well aware of the several brands of sunglasses and goggles that used Zeiss lenses that were… perhaps not up to snuff as the quality of the lenses on them.However optical coating technology has improved since those days. I used ( and still do ) Smith for years as they were the best goggles for me and fit well. (On very bright days I wear Cebe mountaineering sunglasses )
Indeed goggles are more complicated than just the lenses but for me it begins with the lenses -if they are substandard no venting or laminated coating is going to make them great. And yes, the inverse is true- bad venting can render them useless. All I know is Zeiss has the ability to make the best optical “ glass” available -they still make lenses for NASA. If someone was looking to make a sub-standard goggle , I don’t think they’d pay the premium for Zeiss technology.

James

Out There
Instructor
All I know is Zeiss has the ability to make the best optical “ glass” available -they still make lenses for NASA. If someone was looking to make a sub-standard goggle , I don’t think they’d pay the premium for Zeiss technology.
That’s exactly why they slather the name on.
People buy it, without even knowing details!
Marketing complete.

These Porsche skis are probably more legit difference to the normal ones. Only $2,100
D064B7BE-F4B4-4875-A005-10E3EE695814.jpeg

dan ross

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hey,
I’m as cynical as the next guy- probably more so but the marketing doesn’t necessarily negate the quality. Both things can be true. Now, the Porsche skis… I couldn’t bring myself to even contemplate that. I do still have my dignity :D Even as everything else is diminishing.
That’s exactly why they slather the name on.
People buy it, without even knowing details!
Marketing complete.

These Porsche skis are probably more legit difference to the normal ones. Only $2,100
View attachment 189426

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Why won't they make a goggle with fill peripheral vision like the goggles I bought in the 80's? I think those had about 210° vision while everything I've tried on since helmets have become a thing are maybe 150°.

Halson

Booting up
Skier
I don't like goggles, never have. I love the visibility of my oakley prisms but just am not a google fan. They are big, I don't like the blind spots and usually find them on my helmet instead of over my eyes.

I wear oakley prizm sunglasses whenever possible. However, my new solution to when more eye coverage is needed are Oakley Windjackets. They are a hybrid between sunglasses and goggles and they are perfect. I wear them all day long without an issue.

View attachment 62943 View attachment 62944
I know the thread is old, but I just found the site. I love my Windjackets. You are one of very few I have seen who even know what they are. I like them for the same reason I suspect you do, they are not goggles, but provide more coverage then most sunglasses. Not sure why they didn't catch on.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know the thread is old, but I just found the site. I love my Windjackets. You are one of very few I have seen who even know what they are. I like them for the same reason I suspect you do, they are not goggles, but provide more coverage then most sunglasses. Not sure why they didn't catch on.

Bingo... you are my new favorite person. I can't stand goggles because I feel like they block my peripheral vision and are so bulky. Windjackets are perfect as they give me goggle type protection without being bulky. I wear a balaclava on cold days and the top part covers my forehead fine so there's no exposed skin.

I love my windjackets. Blenders also has similar "goggles" and I love them just as much.

Here are the blenders.

FB_IMG_1674238360859.jpg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

That cant be true. The part where the Windjackets are not popular I mean. :ogbiggrin: I have a pair of them in the glove box of my car at all times.Just in case. The Prizm Snow lens is equally perfect for skiing and road cycling.
But I see Oakley discontinued them. Shame.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That cant be true. The part where the Windjackets are not popular I mean. :ogbiggrin: I have a pair of them in the glove box of my car at all times.Just in case. The Prizm Snow lens is equally perfect for skiing and road cycling.

I get so many compliments on my windjackets. It's a shame they were discontinued. I have a standing search on ebay for them as they are still out there.

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
Why won't they make a goggle with fill peripheral vision like the goggles I bought in the 80's? I think those had about 210° vision while everything I've tried on since helmets have become a thing are maybe 150°.
I just got a pleasant surprise with Oakley Line Miner L for the peripheral vision matter, really good price, and now have used them against others in dumping snow and sleet. They really drove home the diminishing returns as you spend matter. Old eyes, my particular contacts prescription and how they worked over glasses made me more happy.

On the really good price, the hint is being a paid up IMBA member or discounts available to some volunteers and pros but unlike decades past, lots of Oakley discounts are available these days. There seems to be a lot of fantastic stuff available but I'll leave it at being really pleased for finding wide view with performance and value to match.

Halson

Booting up
Skier
You can still get replacement lenses but don't know for how long. Based on the color options available they might just be running out their stock.

Miller

Putting on skis
Skier
I was curious about the Revo's Bode goggles too!

I spoke with the owner (Actually was the owner , sold to Christy Sports) of our local shop, last week. She was also on the US Ski Team '87-'89. She buys hard goods for Christy Sports for all their locations. She said Atomic has a goggle coming out next year that it was the best google and lens she has ever skied with. Full sun to overcast and snowy she said she has never been able to see better in flat conditions. I was think about the Revo';s but now am going to wat for the new Atomic .

On another note... if your getting fog or moisture between the double lens, the lens has failed. They are sealed and must stay that way, just like the insulated glass in your house.

I ski in PNW and ski with the Oakley Flight Deck and they never fog! For flat light Prizm Hi Viz Pink or Persimmon (I think Persimmon is a little better contrast and not mirrored) , Mixed sun/clouds Prizm Sapphire Iridium. Also wear contacts and they work fantastic.

For any one that is looking for new contacts Alcon Precision 1 or Precision 1 for Astigmatism (this is what I wear) are absolutely remarkable! They actulaly work the best when I am skiing. I can see better with these than my glasses , not just skiing either, wearing them for tennis & wake surfing too!
It looks like some info is out there regarding the new Atomic Goggle. I tried to zoom in on the QR code, but couldn't get it to work.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
It looks like some info is out there regarding the new Atomic Goggle. I tried to zoom in on the QR code, but couldn't get it to work.
I really want to see what these do in dead flat light!

bitflogger

Putting on skis
Skier
On goggles and knowing there are a lot of MTB riders here. If you are a paid IMBA member you can at once aid your sport and get a few brands of Goggles up to 1/2 list price. There are brands I've seen advertised here so would consider it complementary to their ad revenue.

If you do this choose your local chapter whether or not you are active in it because it makes most of your membership go local. Once you are paid up you can get some discounts.

Some group memberships like that is important for skiing too. In my time on a board and small ski area director we benefited from what those groups do. In my state it helped get better statutes for the survival of small ski areas and safety.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Looks like the lady has cylindrical lens on hers, hopefully these will come with both types as I like cylindrical much better.

Sponsor

Staff online