• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I mean, whatever works for you! I personally would have permanent brain freeze (yikes!)

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I mean, whatever works for you! I personally would have permanent brain freeze (yikes!)

Yup different strokes right. Not much gap normally between windjackets and helmet so any skin showing can easily be covered by a face mask or head scarf if cold enough so all good.

Size of eye protection aside the prizm technology by oakley is damn impressive. Talk about 3d vision.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yup different strokes right. Not much gap normally between windjackets and helmet so any skin showing can easily be covered by a face mask or head scarf if cold enough so all good.

Size of eye protection aside the prizm technology by oakley is damn impressive. Talk about 3d vision.
I disliked the prizm rose in very flat near whiteout to white out conditions. To me, it gave an odd glow to some parts of the snow that was distracting. So much so that I left it out and used the scratched orange lens one guided day. Otherwise I like it, but too dark for east. Haven't tried the hi pink prizm. The bright light prizm is very nice.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I disliked the prizm rose in very flat near whiteout to white out conditions. To me, it gave an odd glow to some parts of the snow that was distracting. So much so that I left it out and used the scratched orange lens one guided day. Otherwise I like it, but too dark for east. Haven't tried the hi pink prizm.

I found the rose to be too dark. I have the hi pink on my goggles which is amazing. Am on the hunt for windjackets with high pink.

My sunglasses and windjackets have prizm snow lenses which are pretty spectacular. Skied through the dreaded flat light period this afternoon straight through last chair and I was marveling to myself about how 3 dimensional the snow looked.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Well that didn't take long...

My 5th (or maybe my 7th, I lost count) replacement IO/X lens just delaminated AFTER 4.5 DAYS! on the snow.. It hasn't even snowed yet. What a shitty product. It must be cheaper for them to keep sending me new lenses than it is to actually fix their product. I'm done with Smith.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Well that didn't take long...

My 5th (or maybe my 7th, I lost count) replacement IO/X lens just delaminated AFTER 4.5 DAYS! on the snow.. It hasn't even snowed yet. What a shitty product. It must be cheaper for them to keep sending me new lenses than it is to actually fix their product. I'm done with Smith.
Got my Aboms today. You can try them on tomorrow to see if you like the fit.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Contacted ABOM and they don't have an OTG model unfortunately (impressively quick response :golfclap:)
They do offer inserts ($35) to fit their two models that you can equip with prescrip lenses, but advise that the heating elements may not work well enough to keep the insert lenses clear all the time.
Looks like I'll be sticking with my Smith Knowledge OTG fan model for the present, even though lens is getting rather smeary.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Looks like I'll be sticking with my Smith Knowledge OTG fan model for the present, even though lens is getting rather smeary.

You should be able to get a replacement lens, possibly a Chromapop lens.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
You should be able to get a replacement lens, possibly a Chromapop lens.

Possibly, not always readily available here.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Got my Aboms today. You can try them on tomorrow to see if you like the fit.
best part is Abom's have a double polycarbonate lens with the heating element sandwiched in the middle so nothing to delaminate. Before these I would go through multiple lenses every year

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
So I used my new Abom Heet goggles for the first time today.

Cons.

Fit is about 1/4 inch larger than I'd like top to bottom. My nose didn't end up smushed or inside the goggle, but I'd like them a tad smaller. My regular goggles were the Smith Squad, also a tad on the big side but acceptable. I got used to this by the end of the day.

View width left to right is noticeably less than either of my other goggles. Not as bad as a "small" sized goggle, but not as wide a view as I'd like. I did get used to it, but need to move my head a bit more on crowded trails to feel comfortable.

Weight is NOTICEABLY heavier than regular goggles. This isn't a big deal if you're wearing a helmet, but would be a huge deal if you are still in a knit hat. It also is an issue for fit. If you like the strap looser, the weight is going to pull the goggle further down your nose, so if the goggle is a bit big you're going to have the strap tighter than you'd like trying to prevent that.

I think either the day's conditions or the goggle lens material or the lens coating led to far more fogging than I've had the other days I've been out this year. I was not working harder, I know that much. I will have a better idea of the cause with more time, I'm sure, but I had fog issues way more today than were normal. Now, that being said, a quick press of the button cleared the fog in about 2 to 10 seconds, depending on how bad it got. I did not have it on continual standby, I used the burst option. I used it maybe ten times, though. Many times I didn't use the button at all, just tilted my head a bit, but I'm not sure that if the electronics failed I'd be happy with these goggles.

Pros.

The fog seems to clear plenty quickly. Unsure if it were snowing and I was working hard whether this would still be true, need more time with them.

Lens is pretty good optically, no warbly looks in any area like I've had with some goggles. The Resolution Red color I got seems adequate for our flat light, but no "Eureka" impression.

Comes with a really nice storage box, very sturdy. I'm glad I didn't shell out for a goggle case.

Overall, I'm happy so far, but it was just one day. Will report again if anything changes.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
So I used my new Abom Heet goggles for the first time today.

Cons.

Fit is about 1/4 inch larger than I'd like top to bottom. My nose didn't end up smushed or inside the goggle, but I'd like them a tad smaller. My regular goggles were the Smith Squad, also a tad on the big side but acceptable. I got used to this by the end of the day.

View width left to right is noticeably less than either of my other goggles. Not as bad as a "small" sized goggle, but not as wide a view as I'd like. I did get used to it, but need to move my head a bit more on crowded trails to feel comfortable.

Weight is NOTICEABLY heavier than regular goggles. This isn't a big deal if you're wearing a helmet, but would be a huge deal if you are still in a knit hat. It also is an issue for fit. If you like the strap looser, the weight is going to pull the goggle further down your nose, so if the goggle is a bit big you're going to have the strap tighter than you'd like trying to prevent that.

I think either the day's conditions or the goggle lens material or the lens coating led to far more fogging than I've had the other days I've been out this year. I was not working harder, I know that much. I will have a better idea of the cause with more time, I'm sure, but I had fog issues way more today than were normal. Now, that being said, a quick press of the button cleared the fog in about 2 to 10 seconds, depending on how bad it got. I did not have it on continual standby, I used the burst option. I used it maybe ten times, though. Many times I didn't use the button at all, just tilted my head a bit, but I'm not sure that if the electronics failed I'd be happy with these goggles.

Pros.

The fog seems to clear plenty quickly. Unsure if it were snowing and I was working hard whether this would still be true, need more time with them.

Lens is pretty good optically, no warbly looks in any area like I've had with some goggles. The Resolution Red color I got seems adequate for our flat light, but no "Eureka" impression.

Comes with a really nice storage box, very sturdy. I'm glad I didn't shell out for a goggle case.

Overall, I'm happy so far, but it was just one day. Will report again if anything changes.

What did you pay for the goggles and does it have rechargable battery?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I got them on Amazon, where I had Amazon bucks left over from an award. But the price was the same on Amazon as Abom's site. $279.

And yes, they are rechargeable. They use a standard USB charging set up. I'm hoping to only have to charge them once a week, as normally my goggles stay in my locker.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I got them on Amazon, where I had Amazon bucks left over from an award. But the price was the same on Amazon as Abom's site. $279.

And yes, they are rechargeable. They use a standard USB charging set up. I'm hoping to only have to charge them once a week, as normally my goggles stay in my locker.

The suggested way to use the goggle is to turn it on so the amber/yellow light is showing continuously. The goggle will heat the lens when the humidity sensor detects near the threshold of fog formation. Used this way, the battery will last a day. Then recharge at night.

Of course, you can wait until fog forms and then use the switch to get a burst (blue LED) of fog-eliminating power. If the conditions are very humid, this may not last a full day (doing burst after burst). It takes more battery power to eliminate fog once it appears than it does to prevent fog from appearing.

I don't think you will get by with charging once for a week. Of course this depends on weather, your face "wetness", airflow, helmet/hat ..... etc.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
My booklet says using the blue will make the battery last longer, up to several days. That booklet is in my locker, but here is their copy on their site:

"A quick tap of the side button puts the goggle into On Demand Mode to fight fog when you need it, then powers down automatically after a few minutes to preserve battery life, allowing for up to multi-day use between battery recharging."

Whereas, for the amber mode:

• In the Always On Mode Abom’s onboard environmental sensor automatically turns the goggle heater on when fogging is imminent or fogging is occurring and or turns off the goggle heater when it is not needed, conserving power for maximum battery life.
  • Six to ten hours of battery life in Always On Mode (battery life varies by user, use and outside temperature).
I'd prefer not to be constantly transporting them back and forth every day. There is some kind of extra boost you can do as well in either mode. I'd say the MAXIMUM amount of time the light was on today with all my hits would be 15 minutes total.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Sibhusky if you're really worried about it, you could also keep a USB battery charger in your locker ...

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
My booklet says using the blue will make the battery last longer, up to several days. That booklet is in my locker, but here is their copy on their site:

"A quick tap of the side button puts the goggle into On Demand Mode to fight fog when you need it, then powers down automatically after a few minutes to preserve battery life, allowing for up to multi-day use between battery recharging."

Whereas, for the amber mode:

• In the Always On Mode Abom’s onboard environmental sensor automatically turns the goggle heater on when fogging is imminent or fogging is occurring and or turns off the goggle heater when it is not needed, conserving power for maximum battery life.
  • Six to ten hours of battery life in Always On Mode (battery life varies by user, use and outside temperature).
I'd prefer not to be constantly transporting them back and forth every day. There is some kind of extra boost you can do as well in either mode. I'd say the MAXIMUM amount of time the light was on today with all my hits would be 15 minutes total.

Well, there's what the manual says and then there's what actually happens..... In my experience if you are very prone to fogging you will get better results from the always on mode than the burst mode. But for occasional fogging, the burst mode is the best.

Sponsor

Staff online