• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
My guilty pleasure and favorite ski toy these days are my ABOM goggles. These goggles have built in defroster sandwiched between two Carl Zeiss lenses. Bottom line is that they never ever fog up no matter what the conditions are like and because of the two lenses with no delicate anti-fog coating you can wipe the inside of your goggles without ruining them. For me this has been a game changer as I used to travel with multiple goggles and extra lenses to combat those extra wet and sticky days in the PNW where everything fogged over and moisture collected in between the double lenses. Definitely not the cheapest goggles on the market but worth every penny I paid for them. Lots of cool details on the tech and demos of the goggles on their website if you are interested in learning more. https://www.abom.com/

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
My all time favorite were late 80's Vent goggles! Came with full 190°+ periferial vision! Vecausr of helmets there isn't a goggle made with that field of view today!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Seems like cool technology. I will say, at least in typical Utah conditions, I don't have a ton of fogging issues UNLESS I put a wet pair of goggles on my helmet. Then, all bets are off!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I hear you, growing up in Alberta this was never an issue for me, but here in the PNW it is. Add to that constantly having to take goggles on and off to deal with kids and it only complicates the problem.

Anti fog technology aside I really like the lenses on these goggles as they are Carl Zeiss inside and out so no delicate layer on the inside that you cannot wipe :)

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
My all time favorite were late 80's Vent goggles! Came with full 190°+ periferial vision! Vecausr of helmets there isn't a goggle made with that field of view today!

Vents? The ones with the huge air channels on the sides? I wanted a pair big time, but it was that or lift tickets :)

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Vents? The ones with the huge air channels on the sides? I wanted a pair big time, but it was that or lift tickets :)
Those were the ones! I still have mine but 3 years ago I had to retire them when the foam in the vents started falling out.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@dovski , I don't have much trouble with fogging, but I do have trouble with my contact lenses drying out. I have taped over most of the vents on my goggles. Does the active defogging let them minimize the airflow past your eyes?

[Before someone asks, I am going to try a higher water content lens.]

James

Out There
Instructor
@dovski , I don't have much trouble with fogging, but I do have trouble with my contact lenses drying out. I have taped over most of the vents on my goggles. Does the active defogging let them minimize the airflow past your eyes?

Are you drinking enough water? Maybe you add a camelback in that pack.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier

Basically there is a clear heating element sandwiched between two lenses and that is what defrosts the goggles, not airflow. That is also why these goggles will stay defogged even while wet. Very cool technology and works brilliantly

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Basically there is a clear heating element sandwiched between two lenses and that is what defrosts the goggles, not airflow. That is also why these goggles will stay defogged even while wet. Very cool technology and works brilliantly

Ok, I get that. What I wonder is if they took advantage of not needing airflow to actually reduce airflow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think @Monique had these.

Sadly, no. I tried them on, but they were HUGE on my tiny face.

I have a pair of Anon WM1s for days when I don't expect to sweat much or experience much precip. I have a pair of Smith Knowledge OTG goggles with a fan for sweaty or snowy days. I don't wear glasses, but the OTG seemed to fit best of the stock I had available to try (I remember them squishing my nose a lot in previous years, but they seem fine with the new helmet). Maybe the extra space for the OTG design also helps with fogging. I use the Anons when I can because it's so easy to swap lenses - the Smiths require more effort. I would definitely need several minutes to change their lenses, and I'd be stressed about whether I could get them in right and even whether I might damage them. This may be an issue resolved with more practice.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Sadly, no. I tried them on, but they were HUGE on my tiny face.

I have a pair of Anon WM1s for days when I don't expect to sweat much or experience much precip. I have a pair of Smith Knowledge OTG goggles with a fan for sweaty or snowy days. I don't wear glasses, but the OTG seemed to fit best of the stock I had available to try (I remember them squishing my nose a lot in previous years, but they seem fine with the new helmet). Maybe the extra space for the OTG design also helps with fogging. I use the Anons when I can because it's so easy to swap lenses - the Smiths require more effort. I would definitely need several minutes to change their lenses, and I'd be stressed about whether I could get them in right and even whether I might damage them. This may be an issue resolved with more practice.
Yeah the original style is big, but they now have an Asian fit model and a smaller low profile style so all good :)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Ok, I get that. What I wonder is if they took advantage of not needing airflow to actually reduce airflow.
Not vented like my Dragon APX or SPY Doom goggles, so I would assume that they have less airflow.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah the original style is big, but they now have an Asian fit model and a smaller low profile style so all good :)

Interesting. How about lens swap?

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Interesting. How about lens swap?
Lens swap is super easy, takes about 30 seconds, it just clips in. The only challenge is that because of the technology and construction the extra lenses are expensive.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
So @dovski

I've been having problems with my Smith IOX lenses - the inner lens keeps delaminating and once a drop of water gets in between it's an uncleanable mess. The problem as I see it is the adhesive they use to stick the inner lens to the foam gasket is somewhat water soluble. My old and tired eyes are constantly watering and the tears are causing the problem. Smith has replaced two lenses under warranty and I have two more to send them. Unacceptable.

So would you agree that the Abom product would solve my issues? Less airflow would help my eye watering problem and being able to thoroughly clean the inside at days end would be awesome.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
P_20180208_190854_LL.jpg

P_20180208_155631_BF.jpg

OLD GOGGLES (Large)
IMG_2593.JPG

I'm a factory ABOM tester. The older models were large, the newer model is smaller. The newer model has a built-in humidity sensor that conserves battery power so the battery could be made smaller. The lens heats up when the humidity sensor reaches a threshold and then turns off when the humidity decreases. I've been testing the new model and giving feedback to ABOM since November. I skied all last season on the older larger model without the humidity sensor. ABOM have been updating the firmware in my goggles (sometimes every other day) in order to test various humidity sensor thresholds for the correct balance of battery life vs lens heating.

My biggest problem with the goggles is they don't fit over eyeglasses. There are solutions to this (corrective lenses in little holders) -- an aftermarket add-on. But my solution is to ski without glasses. I will say they do NEVER FOG! Even on Mt Hood in the rain/cloud at 90% humidity.

I admit to days when I don't wear them though. On clear sunny days I wear my Scott goggles that fit over my glasses. On any day with any chance of fog, I see much better with the ABOM goggles (No fog), but without my eyeglasses.

I have one old pair and two of the newer models. The lenses are easy enough to change, there is a small connector on the lens to receive the power from the frame of the goggle.

Yes, I got them for free and am testing for ABOM .... but I'm telling you they DO NOT FOG.

The marketing guys at ABOM will be mad if I don't add this:
Original goggle (old, larger one) "ABOM ONE"
New goggle (smaller, with sensor) "ABOM HEET"

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
So @dovski

I've been having problems with my Smith IOX lenses - the inner lens keeps delaminating and once a drop of water gets in between it's an uncleanable mess. The problem as I see it is the adhesive they use to stick the inner lens to the foam gasket is somewhat water soluble. My old and tired eyes are constantly watering and the tears are causing the problem. Smith has replaced two lenses under warranty and I have two more to send them. Unacceptable.

So would you agree that the Abom product would solve my issues? Less airflow would help my eye watering problem and being able to thoroughly clean the inside at days end would be awesome.

The ABOM goggles have a single lens, nothing to delaminate, so you will not have this problem. The ABOM goggle has less airflow than other goggles, so your eyes might not be so prone to watering. The insides never get wet or dirty, so there's really nothing to clean....

Sponsor

Staff online