• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There is I believe that one has a fan in it, but not even close to comparable with the ABOM. The ABOM technology is years ahead of everyone else and works no matter how wet and soggy your goggles are. Their lenses are a sealed system with a heating element that instantly defogs them which is super cool. I also like the fact that both inner and outer lens are Carl Zeiss. In other words you can wipe both the inside and outside of the goggles without damaging them, all the other goggles I have owned (SPY Doom, Dragon APX ... etc.) have a delicate anti fog inner lens that you cannot wipe without damaging :(

But Fuller didn't like how they fit his face. So, the technology can be great but if they're uncomfortable who wants them? They can fit other's faces, but that doesn't help the person whose face they don't fit. For instance, I have a real problem with goggles that smush my nose, which many do. If I get smaller goggles, either my vision is obstructed or I have gaps all around which is not great on sub zero days. All the technology in the world is not going to make a bad fit get better. Maybe once they are making more styles that issue will go away.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
But Fuller didn't like how they fit his face. So, the technology can be great but if they're uncomfortable who wants them? They can fit other's faces, but that doesn't help the person whose face they don't fit. For instance, I have a real problem with goggles that smush my nose, which many do. If I get smaller goggles, either my vision is obstructed or I have gaps all around which is not great on sub zero days. All the technology in the world is not going to make a bad fit get better. Maybe once they are making more styles that issue will go away.
Good fit goes without saying :) Abom has three different fits, Abom One which is big and works great for me, Asian fit which is a version of the one with more padding and Heat which is a smaller lower profile goggle.

Kiki

Dreams are the touchstones of our characters
Skier
I got the HEET with the red/rose lenses and used them this weekend for the first time.
Best goggles ever!
So clear.
Fog clearing worked quickly and easily.
Feels like my best equipment purchase this season
My ski day was so much better not fussing and fiddling with eyewear, and being able to see.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I got the HEET with the red/rose lenses and used them this weekend for the first time.
Best goggles ever!
So clear.
Fog clearing worked quickly and easily.
Feels like my best equipment purchase this season
My ski day was so much better not fussing and fiddling with eyewear, and being able to see.
Totally with you on this Kiki, still amazed at how few people are aware of Aboms, as the product is a winner. I think the challenge with start-ups is that they do not have the same level of marketing resources and distribution that established brands have. That and the ski market is a tough one to break into with a new product. That said when you have a product like Abom that is truly differentiated from everything else out there .... what can I say other than best goggles every

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
A few weeks ago, my Smith fan goggles stopped working. I thought. It turns out that I had a dud battery fresh out of the (old) packaging, but in the meantime I bought the ABOM HEET. After much chatting with a customer support rep (who TBH did not seem very knowledgeable at all and had never worn them), I decided on the Sky Blue Mirror as an all-purpose lens, and it did not disappoint. I could see snow texture in flat light and still was comfortable when the sun came out. It was ungodly cold, but when my lenses started fogging (ie after walking up the hill to the lift or coming out of the lodge), I just pressed the button once and soon forgot about it. It wasn't snowing, so I wasn't able to test that.

So far so good. The originals were HUGE but somehow in the meantime none of the Breck shops seem to have even heard of ABOM for me to test 'em out. Glad I took a chance and ordered them.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
A few weeks ago, my Smith fan goggles stopped working. I thought. It turns out that I had a dud battery fresh out of the (old) packaging, but in the meantime I bought the ABOM HEET. After much chatting with a customer support rep (who TBH did not seem very knowledgeable at all and had never worn them), I decided on the Sky Blue Mirror as an all-purpose lens, and it did not disappoint. I could see snow texture in flat light and still was comfortable when the sun came out. It was ungodly cold, but when my lenses started fogging (ie after walking up the hill to the lift or coming out of the lodge), I just pressed the button once and soon forgot about it. It wasn't snowing, so I wasn't able to test that.

So far so good. The originals were HUGE but somehow in the meantime none of the Breck shops seem to have even heard of ABOM for me to test 'em out. Glad I took a chance and ordered them.
I did the same thing when I got mine. Had just burned through two pairs of Spy Doom and a bunch of extra lenses. No stores carry ABOM in the Seattle area so had to buy online and very happy I did.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
@Monique @dovski @pchewn

I'm back in Whitefish for two months, today was a classic inversion day so no issues with fogging but Smith replaced the two lenses I had with my IO/X and I expect to be in the same situation this year; smeared inner lens from too much cleaning and eventual delamination.

So my question is are you still in love with the Abom goggles? Any long term issues?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
@Monique @dovski @pchewn

I'm back in Whitefish for two months, today was a classic inversion day so no issues with fogging but Smith replaced the two lenses I had with my IO/X and I expect to be in the same situation this year; smeared inner lens from too much cleaning and eventual delamination.

So my question is are you still in love with the Abom goggles? Any long term issues?

Still in love. No issues yet. Have not skied that many days in them yet, though, probably < 20.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
@Monique @dovski @pchewn

I've got a pair arriving tomorrow.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Monique @dovski @pchewn

Still in love. About 20 days this season, 50 last season, and 40 days the season before that. The new HEET model has a humidity sensor that only turns on the defogger when needed so the battery lasts longer. Good stuff!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Still in love. About 20 days this season, 50 last season, and 40 days the season before that. The new HEET model has a humidity sensor that only turns on the defogger when needed so the battery lasts longer. Good stuff!
I love still love them. Third season and they still work great, probably have close 100 days of use so far. I am going to wait until the go on sale and get them for my kids this year as they are now big enough where the HEET model should fit them. Really revolutionary product still shocked that so few stores carry them.

This is the first pair of goggles I have had that lasted this long and still has clear like new vision. The lens is pretty remarkable.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I don't like goggles, never have. I love the visibility of my oakley prisms but just am not a google fan. They are big, I don't like the blind spots and usually find them on my helmet instead of over my eyes.

I wear oakley prizm sunglasses whenever possible. However, my new solution to when more eye coverage is needed are Oakley Windjackets. They are a hybrid between sunglasses and goggles and they are perfect. I wear them all day long without an issue.

FB_IMG_1547570133413.jpg
FB_IMG_1547570145389.jpg

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't like goggles, never have. I love the visibility of my oakley prisms but just am not a google fan. They are big, I don't like the blind spots and usually find them on my helmet instead of over my eyes.

I wear oakley prizm sunglasses whenever possible. However, my new solution to when more eye coverage is needed are Oakley Windjackets. They are a hybrid between sunglasses and goggles and they are perfect. I wear them all day long without an issue.

View attachment 62943 View attachment 62944

These ... look like they are the same size as goggles, with the same possible blind spots. What am I missing? Do they just fit you better?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
These ... look like they are the same size as goggles, with the same possible blind spots. What am I missing? Do they just fit you better?

They are smaller in size by far. Will hold both later and take a photo. You really need to see them in person as photos really don't show them to scale.
FB_IMG_1547570145389.jpg
FB_IMG_1547572300477.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Well there are smaller than the Flight Deck goggle. Mind the gap!
Maybe closer to the eyes, less pressure, and lighter is what you like too?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well there are smaller than the Flight Deck goggle. Mind the gap!
Maybe closer to the eyes, less pressure, and lighter is what you like too?

Mine aee the XM but yes, all those things, very possible!!!

Windjackets are marketed as sunglasses that are larger and can double as smaller goggles.

Mind the gap. Love it :roflmao:

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mine aee the XM but yes, all those things, very possible!!!

Windjackets are marketed as sunglasses that are larger and can double as smaller goggles.

Mind the gap. Love it :roflmao:

Doesn't your forehead get cold? I can feel any gap that may appear between goggles and helmet. Wind, snow, sleet.....BRRRRR.

Your helmet should come just above your eyebrows...yours looks a little big.

The windjacket is used mostly by XC ski racers in cold racing weather. Lose the helmet, don a lightweight XC hat, and wax up the skate skis. :ogcool:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Doesn't your forehead get cold? I can feel any gap that may appear between goggles and helmet. Wind, snow, sleet.....BRRRRR.

Your helmet should come just above your eyebrows...yours looks a little big.

The windjacket is used mostly by XC ski racers in cold racing weather. Lose the helmet, don a lightweight XC hat, and wax up the skate skis. :ogcool:

My forehead doesn't get cold. I tried on lots of helmets which were small before i found this one. I have a large cranium lol. Here's today's helmet picture. Warmer today so put windjackets away and just wearing sunglasses.
20190115_125643.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online