• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
This kinda sucks. Wife and I got some Aboms last year and love them. Skied then in a blizzard at Monarch and they were awesome.

was hoping to get some different lenses. Guess not DOH!

wiread

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This kinda sucks. Wife and I got some Aboms last year and love them. Skied then in a blizzard at Monarch and they were awesome.

was hoping to get some different lenses. Guess not DOH!
Same, I got them for Christmas, was going to get some other lenses but I guess it’s not going to happen

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
These goggles in a new less expensive design are rumored to be rising like a phoenix from the ashes of ABOM ... approx end of March. At least that's the rumor. That's all I can say about that.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
These goggles in a new less expensive design are rumored to be rising like a phoenix from the ashes of ABOM ... approx end of March. At least that's the rumor. That's all I can say about that.
Maybe some company will pick up and take over replacement lenses for the frames

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Are you referring to all the Abom knock offs now on the market or is this something new and exciting :eek:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
So my daughter forgot her Goggles today and used my backup pair of Abom One Goggles (brand new and shinny). She liked them so much they are no longer my backup pair :eek:

My daughter has my old ABOM one, my son has one of my ABOM Heet, my grandson has another Heet, and I have the final Heet goggle. And I'm looking forward to testing the new goggles in March.....

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Will “the new goggles” have lenses that fit the ABOM Heat?:crossfingers:

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I tried on the new Head 5K Photo the other day at my shop and I was really impressed in flat light. I will need to go back with my new Julbo's to compare!

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
Doubtful -- It is a new design.
Any idea when and where this new design might appear? Also how do you think the new design will compare to the original Abom goggles?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

Any idea when and where this new design might appear? Also how do you think the new design will compare to the original Abom goggles?

End of March. Less Expensive.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's great that they are less expensive, but I'm three sets in on the Aboms. What I need is a pair that actually lasts ALL DAY. (That's how I got to 3 pair. I wear a pair and have another (in between lens) pair in my fanny pack.)

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
End of March. Less Expensive.
This is great to hear, but to be honest I never found the Abom Goggles to be over priced, just grossly under promoted and hard to buy since they were not in any shops. Abom in my mind was great value given that their quality exceeded most goggles on the market but their price did not. To be clear they were a premium Goggle, but there is a market for premium products in skiing, and more importantly their product was highly differentiated. I know a lot of ski shops that wanted to carry Abom, especially after seeing my goggles but had challenges connecting with the company and making that happen. I am sure that Covid did not help things much. With this second go at the market I hope they have a more proactive promotional program and the ability to land their product in more ski shops as seeing really is believing ... and this product ensures you can see while skiing in pretty much any condition.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
It's great that they are less expensive, but I'm three sets in on the Aboms. What I need is a pair that actually lasts ALL DAY. (That's how I got to 3 pair. I wear a pair and have another (in between lens) pair in my fanny pack.)
Perhaps if you stop charging your cell phone from your goggles…. :roflmao:

joking aside this is not an issue I have experienced with my Aboms though I do use the defog sparingly . That said I to have or should I say had a backup pair just in case.

one thing you may want to consider is using some additional anti fog products on the inside of your lens, similar to what many do with conventional goggles, that combination may give the extra boost to get through a day on a single pair, you can also bring a charger with you and try to charge during lunch or warmup breaks.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Perhaps if you stop charging your cell phone from your goggles…. :roflmao:

joking aside this is not an issue I have experienced with my Aboms though I do use the defog sparingly . That said I to have or should I say had a backup pair just in case.

one thing you may want to consider is using some additional anti fog products on the inside of your lens, similar to what many do with conventional goggles, that combination may give the extra boost to get through a day on a single pair, you can also bring a charger with you and try to charge during lunch or warmup breaks.
I used fog cloths on the inside lens. It helped somewhat. But, clearly after 3 pair, it's not a one off issue. The fog we have here is probably a factor, it's just more humidity than the goggles can handle. I have the spare pair AND I carry a power pack, but have never resorted to it as the 2nd pair gets me through. But at 1 PM, I need to swap. I've tried the "only when it fogs approach" and the yellow "automatic" approach and the latter is what I've stuck with. But frankly these fog WAY more easily than standard goggles. The reason to use them relies completely on the battery. And it is insufficient.

What lunch break? I eat when I get home and have a snack in my pack if hunger strikes. With the past 2 seasons of COVID, indoor breaks were off the table. And actually, when pizza got over $1.75 per slice I started packing a lunch, which eventually became no break to eat it. We got popular here and peaceful lunches are harder to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
I used fog cloths on the inside lens. It helped somewhat. But, clearly after 3 pair, it's not a one off issue. The fog we have here is probably a factor, it's just more humidity than the goggles can handle. I have the spare pair AND I carry a power pack, but have never resorted to it as the 2nd pair gets me through. But at 1 PM, I need to swap. I've tried the "only at the button" when I fog approach, and the yellow "automatic" approach and the latter is what I've stuck with. But frankly these fog WAY more easily than standard goggles. The reason to use them relies completely on the battery. And it is insufficient.

What lunch break? I eat when I get home and have a snack in my pack if hunger strikes. With the past 2 seasons of COVID, indoor breaks were off the table. And actually, when pizza got over $1.75 per slice I started packing a lunch, which eventually became no break to eat it. We got popular here and peaceful lunches are harder to find.
So sounds like you are using the Heat, I use the Abom One and I only use the as needed approach. I find the Heat does not fit my head as well as the Abom One and a good fit seems to minimize fogging. Power mode or automatic depending on your goggle will burn through your power much faster.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I found I used the battery up by lunch break the first year of Covid. Wearing a mask while skiing created more fogging in the goggles and the goggle power kicked in to de-fog. I recharged the goggles as I was eating lunch in my vehicle.

I guess I’ll have to spend some time at Whitefish to gather some data. With the lake right there it may indeed have more humidity on the mountain, even more so than the Cascades (not that I would have guessed that).

Since then (no longer wearing a mask out on the slopes) I haven’t experienced any issues. The goggle power lasts all day.

I have a backup pair which I’ve never used, but my SO will try them this holiday trip to Sun Peaks.

TS
dovski

dovski

Skier
If anyone has a pair of Abom One Goggles they would like to trade for a pair of Abom Heat please let me know as the Abom One fits me better

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid