• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
As I've gotten older I don't care for any color shaded lenses on my eyes. The light seems flatter and any shade over my eyes at all is annoying. My wind jackets are the best thing the I have ever come across but I've been more and more been after a clear lense but still with my mini goggle/windjacket protection. Here's my latest find.

Windjackets with a clear lenses.

Utopia as far as I'm concerned.

SmartSelect_20230126_221900_Poshmark.jpg

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As I've gotten older I don't care for any color shaded lenses on my eyes. The light seems flatter and any shade over my eyes at all is annoying. My wind jackets are the best thing the I have ever come across but I've been more and more been after a clear lense but still with my mini goggle/windjacket protection. Here's my latest find.

Windjackets with a clear lenses.

Utopia as far as I'm concerned.

View attachment 190548
I'm gonna say clearly you ski on the slow side and it the East where it's almost always overcast cloudy and spring time warm:(

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm gonna say clearly you ski on the slow side and it the East where it's almost always overcast cloudy and spring time warm:(
I would say most of those are generalizations. It's quite cold in southern Vermont so no spring time warm here. I'm not a fast skier but on cooler days there's no gap between my glasses and my helmet as i wear a balaclava so even if I did ski fast my face wouldn't have any skin showing so I'm not cold at all. I don't see much sun but if the sun is out I'll just wear my oakley sunglasses. As stated above windjackets aren't for everyone but they are pretty much mini goggle so they are the perfect eyeware for me.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would say most of those are generalizations. It's quite cold in southern Vermont so no spring time warm here. I'm not a fast skier but on cooler days there's no gap between my glasses and my helmet as i wear a balaclava so even if I did ski fast my face wouldn't have any skin showing so I'm not cold at all. I don't see much sun but if the sun is out I'll just wear my oakley sunglasses. As stated above windjackets aren't for everyone but they are pretty much mini goggle so they are the perfect eyeware for me.
Right,, totally, that was a stab at the crappy warm winter we've been having in the East.
I'm familiar with bicycling google-glasses. Other than spring skiing, I couldn't imagine for me but it sounds like you've got it all figured out and dialed in. If's working for you have at it. Not sure how you keep the balaclava from getting clammy and disgustingly wetting out, maybe you're not bothered by that, IDK. On a cold day, I'll bring three face mask to change out throughout the day, and I'm very picky about the mask, have yet to try a thick'ish ply merino wool mask. Actually purchased ANON goggles for the magnetic mask as it solves mask bunching up under goggle frame and or interfering with vision. Only the ANON goggle doesn't quite match with my Smith Vantage helmet. Cold days the slight forehead draft bothers me, the ANON's were a fail. I like a goggle foam to comfortably seal, keep cold air off my face. Also like them to fit the helmet without drafty gaps as my Smith I/O's do with the Smith Vantage helmet. I searched for shell with a high collar storm hood to bury my face into on cold chairlift rides, helps minimize reliance on a face mask. Yes, I'm very hard to please, never all that happy with anything, when I say I'm very happy with something, it's a lie, I'll find fault with it and thinking about it drives me crazy untill the next thing comes along to help me forget or not care about the old one

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Right,, totally, that was a stab at the crappy warm winter we've been having in the East.
I'm familiar with bicycling google-glasses. Other than spring skiing, I couldn't imagine for me but it sounds like you've got it all figured out and dialed in. If's working for you have at it. Not sure how you keep the balaclava from getting clammy and disgustingly wetting out, maybe you're not bothered by that, IDK. On a cold day, I'll bring three face mask to change out throughout the day, and I'm very picky about the mask, have yet to try a thick'ish ply merino wool mask. Actually purchased ANON goggles for the magnetic mask as it solves mask bunching up under goggle frame and or interfering with vision. Only the ANON goggle doesn't quite match with my Smith Vantage helmet. Cold days the slight forehead draft bothers me, the ANON's were a fail. I like a goggle foam to comfortably seal, keep cold air off my face. Also like them to fit the helmet without drafty gaps as my Smith I/O's do with the Smith Vantage helmet. I searched for shell with a high collar storm hood to bury my face into on cold chairlift rides, helps minimize reliance on a face mask. Yes, I'm very hard to please, never all that happy with anything, when I say I'm very happy with something, it's a lie, I'll find fault with it and thinking about it drives me crazy untill the next thing comes along to help me forget or not care about the old one

Yeah it's definitely been a challenging winter that's for sure. I've been wearing windjackets for years. My forehead never gets cold as the balaclava covers the gap on my forehead. I don't seem to notice it getting clammy so that's fine too. I've tried to like goggles but just can't. I find them bulky and I just feel like I've a blind spot on the sides that just annoys me too much. So many goggles out there and it can be challenging to find something that works. I hope you find your perfect goggles one day.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Another reminder in this now long thread of Andy's useful article:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
RE: ABOM going out of business and rumors of new goggles/company rising from the ashes:

I have 3 days of testing on the newest goggles. These prototypes are from a new goggle company rising from the ashes of the prior ABOM . Same defogging technology, lower cost, and the same high-quality optics. A remarkable new design change makes secondary lenses very inexpensive and easy to change. This will make having a lens quiver very attractive. The testing so far is very favorable in comparison to the ABOM HEET.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that these will not be available for purchase until the ski season 2023/2024. (Think buying for early Christmas). Marketing and online presence sometime this summer.

I'm not at liberty to tell you the name of the new goggle company, nor the name of the new goggle brand, nor any photos, nor design details. But I will tell you that if you Google search the keywords "ABOM HEET Trademark" you might find a public record of trademark assignment to a new company.

TS
dovski

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
RE: ABOM going out of business and rumors of new goggles/company rising from the ashes:

I have 3 days of testing on the newest goggles. These prototypes are from a new goggle company rising from the ashes of the prior ABOM . Same defogging technology, lower cost, and the same high-quality optics. A remarkable new design change makes secondary lenses very inexpensive and easy to change. This will make having a lens quiver very attractive. The testing so far is very favorable in comparison to the ABOM HEET.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that these will not be available for purchase until the ski season 2023/2024. (Think buying for early Christmas). Marketing and online presence sometime this summer.

I'm not at liberty to tell you the name of the new goggle company, nor the name of the new goggle brand, nor any photos, nor design details. But I will tell you that if you Google search the keywords "ABOM HEET Trademark" you might find a public record of trademark assignment to a new company.
How does the fit of these new goggles compare to the Abom One?

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier

A remarkable new design change makes secondary lenses very inexpensive and easy to change. This will make having a lens quiver very attractive.
With todays photocromatic lenses why have a quiver?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm still using my Abom Heet goggles. No issues at all.

Well almost, they don't have a very wide field of vision but I've adjusted to that a long time ago.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier

That's the good news.

My wife loves her ABOMs more than any other goggle we have. We have lots of goggles.

Especially in flat light, she loves the Sonar. Will the new lenses be interchangeable with the old frames? Will the lenses be as nice in the same color palettes?

I am really excited about this, my wife was so sad we couldnt get more ABOM lenses.

Any more details you can provide? Feel free to PM if that works better.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The new lenses are NOT compatible with the ABOM HEET or ABOM ONE goggle frames.

The new lens I tested is every bit as good optically as the ABOM HEET and ABOM ONE lenses I have tested.

I have no information on the future available lens colors, %VLT, or other lens properties. I was given one goggle with one lens and it worked adequately for me in both daytime and night skiing conditions. For regular night skiing I prefer a clear lens. The lens I have is not clear.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Since I have 3 pair of Aboms in 3 different lense colors, I figure I'm set for a few years and can cannibalize one or two pair by swapping lenses as needed. Right now I'm always carrying a spare pair because I've had them totally die on me some days by 12:30, but not consistently.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
Photochromatic are great. But they are not quite as good as a great dedicated lens for a particular situation, especially in really flat light. So if the budget allows, a quiver still makes sense.
Due to a retina issue I'm almost usable to ski in flat light. I have 6 pair of goggles now and I've tried every flat light lens I've been able to and the Julbo photocromatic is the best I've found so far. I'm hoping the new Atomic coming out next season will be the game changer it sounds like!

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Due to a retina issue I'm almost usable to ski in flat light. I have 6 pair of goggles now and I've tried every flat light lens I've been able to and the Julbo photocromatic is the best I've found so far. I'm hoping the new Atomic coming out next season will be the game changer it sounds like!
I have a friend with retinitis pigmentosa and unfortunately for him, his days on the slopes are coming to an end. In fact his days of seeing much are probably coming to an end.

FWIW he loves his Spy happy lenses right now.

Rdputnam515

Getting off the lift
Skier
Since I have 3 pair of Aboms in 3 different lense colors, I figure I'm set for a few years and can cannibalize one or two pair by swapping lenses as needed. Right now I'm always carrying a spare pair because I've had them totally die on me some days by 12:30, but not consistently.
It is crazy, Ive had them last all day and have plenty left. I have also had them die within hours lol.

I wasnt a huge fan of them in low light until this last long trip in blizzard conditions. The sonar was fantastic.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid