• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Helmet Headphones for Smith women's Vantage?

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Not for me (I doubt that I would ever use them), but for my wife who has asked for them for her birthday.

She has the Smith women's Vantage MIPS helmet.

1603219234423.png

Not only to play music but It would be great if they would also interface with an FRS radio transceiver.

Any recommendations?

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Yes to Outdoor Tech Chips 2.0. A little gnarly trying to get them zipped into the Smith, but it can be done.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
After reading a lot of review I gave up on these Outdoor tech Chips bluetooth. A lot of people complains about disconnection and that the walkie talkie function through the phone app drains the battery. As I don't like to listen music when skiing I just use a BCA radio to communicate with my friends.
If I wanted to play music think that I would go with the wired chips.

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Keep the advice coming you guys and gals.

I get the concerns about bluetooth. On the other hand I use a MPOW Jaws for my cell phone with great results, and we use Oontz bluetooth speakers at home.

Here is a new product from Smith so I doubt there is any experience with it yet:

1603227368537.png

JohnnyG

Getting on the lift
Skier
After reading a lot of review I gave up on these Outdoor tech Chips bluetooth. A lot of people complains about disconnection and that the walkie talkie function through the phone app drains the battery. As I don't like to listen music when skiing I just use a BCA radio to communicate with my friends.
If I wanted to play music think that I would go with the wired chips.

I've used the first, and now the second version of the wireless Chips, and would still recommend them, if you want Bluetooth and audio/music. I tried the Walkie-Talkie part with my wife, but would rather just call her using Siri. The walkie talkie app piece just seems like an afterthought.

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Ok I bought the Smith X Alek Wireless kit.

Now what do you guys and gals use to transmit music to it?

Especially how can you turn the sound down or off quickly to converse?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Chips 2.0 but do not use them all that often because of the additional weight. Other than that they are OK. I use my Powerbeats Pro.

That Smith wireless kit is very interesting.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
For years I've been trying to find a good helmet solution for wireless audio, phone and a PTT function/walkie-talkie with no luck. I'll be keeping my eye on reviews of this new Smith Aleck system. One of these days they'll figure out a stable method with decent range.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the bluetooth Chips and they work great for music and phone calls. I could never figure out the walkie talkie feature, and I wish that there was an easy solution for this.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I got a BE Headwear (amazon) a couple of years ago. They work well and no issues using the phone with it. Sound is good, not HIFI quality, but ok. I keep mine very low so its almost background music. I can still hear around me. Batteries last a couple of days. Only downfall are the buttons are small and tough to use with gloves on. I use SIRI to control the volume and music choice. This will be the 3rd season. I do have a smith helmet and the install is very easy and the cord hides in the neck (?) cushion under the Velcro.

• 41YfXuMX3tL._AC_SR38,50_.jpg
  • 41kNIMiawFL._AC_SR38,50_.jpg
  • 41rsSYsqHsL._AC_SR38,50_.jpg
  • 31fSQykhXxL._AC_SR38,50_.jpg

• BE Headwear Bluetooth Headset- Drop in Headphones Compatible with any Ski or Snowboard Audio Ready Helmet
Click image to open expanded view

BE Headwear Bluetooth Headset- Drop in Headphones Compatible with any Ski or Snowboard Audio Ready Helmet

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the bluetooth Chips and they work great for music and phone calls. I could never figure out the walkie talkie feature, and I wish that there was an easy solution for this.

Same here. It's the walkie-talkie feature I care most about. Either that or an easy way to communicate without needing to dig for a phone when my son goes left when he should have gone right ;)

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just got notified about this on Kickstarter. A little pricy if you ask me, but new tech always is.

Milo hands free comm

I would just be cautious on the claims about the mesh network. I've tried another comm using that tech. The range was not great and dropped entirely when my son skied around a corner in a trail. The trees were pretty open but the signal was gone.

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
I would just be cautious on the claims about the mesh network. I've tried another comm using that tech. The range was not great and dropped entirely when my son skied around a corner in a trail. The trees were pretty open but the signal was gone.
I’m just getting up speed on mesh networks, only because of wireless issues at our house. How long ago were you using and having problems? The theory sounds good, but based on what you say and what I’ve read it works well stationary or line of sight for moving. We just use our cell phones and call using voice commands.

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m just getting up speed on mesh networks, only because of wireless issues at our house. How long ago were you using and having problems? The theory sounds good, but based on what you say and what I’ve read it works well stationary or line of sight for moving. We just use our cell phones and call using voice commands.

Last winter and it was not a cheap setup when you have to buy two.

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
A bit of a tangent - but I wanted to answer @TheArchitect question. The BCA radios with the should mics are probably one of the best things I've bought for myself and two kids. Makes communications a lot easier - for the situation you described. Little pricey but well worth it.

Sponsor