• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best knee/elbow guards for kids?

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Was out biking with my 8 year old yesterday, and shortly after this pic was taken he wiped it and bounced his knee off a rock. He used to have knee/elbow guards but grew out of them, and stupid me hadn't gotten him new ones this year!

Any suggestions for what the best options are specifically for kids? Are knee/elbow guards likely sufficient, or should he also have wrist guards? We are in eastern Canada, doing some single track stuff but no downhill, mostly over granite rock trails along the coast.

IMG_8830.jpg IMG_8835.jpg

Sugarbowler

Booting up
Skier
My 6 year old wears fox elbow and knee pads at the pump track/dirt jump park. We bought them at the local cycle gear... getting kids started on dirt bikes is big in my location, so they have a good selection of kids protective gear.

TS
crazycanuck

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
My 6 year old wears fox elbow and knee pads at the pump track/dirt jump park. We bought them at the local cycle gear... getting kids started on dirt bikes is big in my location, so they have a good selection of kids protective gear.

cool. Funny enough that was exactly what I had found online at alocal bike shop this afternoon and I think I’ll go get them this week. Expensive, but worth it compared to the banged up knee that he then had to ride a half hour back to the car while blood ran down his leg. He’s a tough kid, but Fox kneepads it is! :)
Thanks.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Chainreaction has a decent selection, as does backcountry.
must try on sizes. Size charts can be very off.
my girls currently have Leatt elbow. Great coverage and protection, and comfy. Run small.
iXS knee pads.

TS
crazycanuck

crazycanuck

Getting on the lift
Skier
Chainreaction has a decent selection, as does backcountry.
must try on sizes. Size charts can be very off.
my girls currently have Leatt elbow. Great coverage and protection, and comfy. Run small.
iXS knee pads.
Thanks!

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure you get something with an actual CE protection rating, ideally CE 2 (at least for the knees). The new impact hardening foams perform much better than plain EVA foam. And it has to be comfortable, so they don’t mind wearing it.
5D452A77-F8B9-48CE-ACC3-B8B221F65EC3.jpeg
6582C04F-CA1A-4BF4-8C3A-B608D5404BBC.jpeg

here they are in action on the 9 year old

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online