• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best LEKI touring pole

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
What is the best LEKI touring pole? https://www.LEKI.com/uk/product-area/touring/poles I'm looking mainly at LEKI since I can get a good deal on them, I have been using LEKI for 20+ years in the resort.

I'm new to touring and will be mostly touring around northern Utah, I don't think I need one that folds up. What things should I consider in a touring pole? So far I like the Guide Lite V and the Aergonlite 2 with the difference being that one has the removable trigger system and strap and the other a traditional strap. I know using a pole strap on the downhill is frowned upon for safety but what about the uphill? Will a strap be beneficial on the uphill or not?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Downhill no, uphill, yes... though not all the time. (Uphill traverses, you grab the uphill pole shaft rather than dinking around with adjust pole height.). Pushing/skating on flats, rolling terrain, straps are great.

James

Out There
Instructor
Some people’s best would be one piece and aluminum.
I guess you would need experience with the strap systems to say. I could see the fancy strap possibly getting in the way when not used. Though I guess you can unclip it for the down?

Personally, I’d probably go for the non lite versions with the 18/16mm shafts over the 16/14mm.
I wonder if one could shorten them to save weight. Does one really need a 150/59 inch pole? That is frickin’ huge. Maybe it’s just there to make it stiffer in the low to sub 50 in range.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
What is the best LEKI touring pole? https://www.LEKI.com/uk/product-area/touring/poles I'm looking mainly at LEKI since I can get a good deal on them, I have been using LEKI for 20+ years in the resort.

I'm new to touring and will be mostly touring around northern Utah, I don't think I need one that folds up. What things should I consider in a touring pole? So far I like the Guide Lite V and the Aergonlite 2 with the difference being that one has the removable trigger system and strap and the other a traditional strap. I know using a pole strap on the downhill is frowned upon for safety but what about the uphill? Will a strap be beneficial on the uphill or not?

Like you, I've skied with LEKI Trigger grips for eons. However, for touring, the Trigger system is not advised. I took a pair of adjustable LEKI poles I already had and replaced the grips and baskets with these:

LEKI AERGON COR-TEC Grips Pair

LEKI Big Mountain Binding Basket

I used the poles for the first time today and loved them. The grips are really light and super comfortable. The baskets use a harder plastic (the black section) so that you can easily use the baskets to kick up binding heel risers (and knock them back down).

Edit P.S. - I just looked at the LEKI site and remembered just how many touring poles they have in their line-up. It's kind of crazy.