• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best material to take up space under liner?

scotchipman

Booting up
Skier
What is the best material to use to take up space between the shell and liner? I have a low volume foot and have the Atomic Hawk Ultra XTD 120. I'm looking to take up just a little more volume in the boot with some material between the shell and liner under my foot. Recommendations?

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Bontex is the best, most proper and longest lasting but Ive been guilty of using the cardstock’ish material a ‘good’ case of beer comes in. Pretty thin and can be layered as needed. Heck Ive even sacrificed alot of trail maps over the years for on the hill bootfit adjustments, but yeah like he said Bontex is the proper solution.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Bondtex is widely used in the world of boot fitting because over 75% of all boots out on the mountain are a minimum of one shell size too big. Your long term cure for loose boots is to get into a boot that is the right size and shape shell, so the the shell and the buckles do the work of giving your comfort, performance, and control.

No innuendo here... Your boots are either too large, the wrong shape for your foot or both. Go to a boot fitter and and start by having them properly measure the dimensions of your feet, and then do a quick shell size check to see where your existing boots line up with your feet. I am laying odds down that you are part of that 75% that is in a boot too large or not the correct dimensions for your feet and lower legs, IMHO :)

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
This is what I use. Is this bontex?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used Bontex on an old pair of Lange RX 100 (a MW boot) as an intermediate to take up space and buy some time once I realized my boot were too big and not right for my LV foot. Before the next season, I sold my old boots and skis while still newish and used the funds to buy some new Lange RS 130 (a LV boot) in the next size down. A very tight fit until the liners packed out.

I got new Intuition Dreamliners in LV this year after submitting their online form. They came with two insoles per liner to adjust the volume depending on whether you use a custom insoles or not, and the amount of space it takes up. I do have a Masterfit insole, but still needed one insole to get a tight fit. I did not need to mold them except for stretching the right toes a smidge.

Instead of Bontex, consider getting a custom insole first and having your bootfitter adjust the ramp angle (not sure of the terminology) to align your feet and boots. This may consume the extra space if you are still using stock or even aftermarket insoles.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
My feet are different sizes, my right foot was a tiny bit loose. I put shims between the liner and the shell and they're tighter. Why so glum?

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
I knew glum was the wrong word, but I liked it anyway.

Why is taking up a little space in the bottom of the boot such a bad thing? Does it imply to you that there's too much room everywhere else (boots too big?) And if so if I can make them tight and perform, I just don't see the problem. Could I use new boots, sure? But they're pretty damn good. I've been trying to buy a turn for a lot of years, it's more about what I do than if my boots aren't a true "performance" fit. The heel doesn't move. Nothing moves around. They're snug.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It's all a little over the top, this uniform assumption without looking at feet that bontex is always a sign of a boot too large. Bontex comes in a couple thicknesses. When one has to use multiple layers, then yes, the boot is probably not the right fit or boot or size. I have a non-existent instep. I've always used a thin bontex sheet even in low volume, low instep boots. My boots fit fine.

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s this brand also. It seems a little better than the Bontex.
CA1E35D1-0B07-4438-A255-2243E0843D8D.jpeg

Filled the valley in the boot board then put those shims over. More moronic decisions to “shape” the bootboard by the powers that be in boots. It already had it’s built in arch ground down, the valley for the toes is too much work for a shop to do. Just make the damn things flat to begin with please.

40BE24D3-AEEF-4427-AA5A-C2FBEAB42E68.jpeg

CEE08C00-001F-45DE-863D-AACF78ADE982.jpeg

I was attempting to lift the top of the bootboard to be even with that little ledge in the shell. I just glued it with rubber cement so I could get it off. It has naturally come off.

Universally crappy - Lange, Fischer, Head boot boards, and all the similar. Let’s give credit to Nordica for at least screwing in their bootboards. Though maybe there’s big issues with those, never worked on one. Their decision years ago to make it out of aluminum was... bizarre. It didn't last long.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Weird, I hate dealing with screwed in zeppas.... never have any issue with the Head zeppas... very easy to flatten.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Bontex and other fiber materials need to be kept dry. You'll need to pull the liners out occasionally to be sure of that. Alternatively, find any non-porous firm & slightly flexible material of the thickness you need and cut your own insole shims. About the black mold that grew on my Bontex.....:(

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have used thin high density neoprene foam with an adhesive back. 1/8" or 1/16" thick