• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best piece of kit

TS
Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I forget who recommended them, but I just picked up a pair of the Castelli Omloop bibs.
A4F9E60D-F0F8-416D-BCEE-96A26536BB62.jpeg

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
In looking through this thread, I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned what I regard as a truly vital piece of kit given that we ride bikes while the cagers in their SUV's listening to their sounds, putting on make-up, and drinking coffee drive their n-tons of death: mirrors. I use Mirrycle because I have either flat handlebars on my hybrid or on my touring bike which has Koga Atalanta handlebars (check 'em out) I have managed to fudge a connection to use the same mirrors.

scott43

Skier
I was just looking at a miyata 710 with the downtube levers that had one bolt that went into a single braze-on on the top of the tube. Boy you're screwed if you have that frame!! Superbe Pro Gruppo. Great at the time..

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was just looking at a miyata 710 with the downtube levers that had one bolt that went into a single braze-on on the top of the tube. Boy you're screwed if you have that frame!! Superbe Pro Gruppo. Great at the time..

For some reason I remember a Shimano system like that. 600AX? The 'aero' ones.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh no! I've got two Miyata 710's, mine and my father's. Why am I screwed? No way to replace the shifters with others because of the single bolt?

Edit: I've been using my father's for parts, but was thinking of building it up for my son at some point. The frame is mint condition.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Oh no! I've got two Miyata 710's, mine and my father's. Why am I screwed? No way to replace the shifters with others because of the single bolt?

If it's the braze-on I'm thinking of - the 'aero' lever one - you can always just ignore it and use a clamp-on cable stop elsewhere on the DT.

Here is an aero lever on a 310:

Rapture.JPG

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Yup tuna is right. It's not elegant but it'll work. I think that was the only one of maybe a half dozen frames I've seen with that setup. Brilliant at the time but limiting!! Those Miyatas are great bikes by the way ...

scott43

Skier
I built up probably a dozen serious Miyata 1000 touring bikes. They were like the Toyota of bikes. Very well made in ways that weren't obvious to the casual observer. Excellent frame prep, no flaws in the paint or welds, quality tubing.

scott43

Skier
Check this dude out..I just wiki'd Miyata..they were the first motorcycle producers in Japan..far out man!
800px-China_Fortepan_100029.jpg

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Air Zound - bike pump rechargeable air horn. LUDICROUSLY loud, sufficiently so to penetrate even the SUV with, no doubt, the sound system on, while the woman (in my particular case) carries on through the 4 way stop with her coffee in her hand. Emergency stop, coffee dropped (me - a big schadenfreude smile saved until I am at a safe distance). Woman looking round for the other 16 wheels ... Great piece of safety equipment.

I
Want
One

pushgears

Putting on skis
Skier
Knickers! Preferably Assos.
They are the most versatile cycling apparel. I wear them anytime temps dip below 70. Why wear shorts and long sleeves?