• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Potato Chip Flavor

Which flavor?

• Classic

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • BBQ (or bbq variation)

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Salt & Vinegar

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Sour Cream & Onion

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Dill pickle

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Clam or other seafood variation

• Old Bay

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Catsup

• Flamin' hot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

James

Out There
Instructor
Why are there such weird flavors like abalone? Is that what you have with an iced glass of Clamato?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Why are there such weird flavors
Check these out... mint? Scallop? Cappuccino?!?

James

Out There
Instructor
Check these out... mint? Scallop? Cappuccino?!?

Ok, white chocolate and peppermint is the oddest. Schwarma could be good.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was just thinking that the Old Bay chips smashed up and used for a coating to pan fry fish would be really good.
A variation of this.

crosscountry

Sock Puppet
Skier
Pass Pulled
"Flavored" chips. As if the flavor of a food were its beginning, middle, and end. You can see this especially with the Iberico ones. You think it's just the flavor of that ham that makes it special? Grump out. ;)
What else is there in potato chips? Texture? It's all the same. Nutrition? Seriously?

It's all in the seasoning. Unless you're the kind that prefer plain...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Do these count as a "flavor"?

1686747349838.png

I haven't had the Lay's ones, but I've had some from local candy/snack shops, and they can be really good. Not as good as chocolate covered pretzels though.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
No fail flavour is always plain or original, never disappoints. But regionally the Donair flavour is becoming popular and i find them quite tasty. Storm Chips are just a local joke based off a Youtube Celeb (Frankie MacDonald out of Sydney NS) who warns people to get their storm chips whenever a winter storm is predicted.

What is a Donair ?

Attachments

• donair.jpg
    donair.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 4
  • 284g_NEW_Storm_Chips_1024x1024_01d75a1b-5eb0-4c12-ba49-0505a43cac8b_1024x1024.jpg
    284g_NEW_Storm_Chips_1024x1024_01d75a1b-5eb0-4c12-ba49-0505a43cac8b_1024x1024.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
No fail flavour is always plain or original, never disappoints. But regionally the Donair flavour is becoming popular and i find them quite tasty. Storm Chips are just a local joke based off a Youtube Celeb (Frankie MacDonald out of Sydney NS) who warns people to get their storm chips whenever a winter storm is predicted.

What is a Donair ?
It might not be exactly the same... but seems that "donair" other places is usually written "doner"... or more typically "doner kebab".

James

Out There
Instructor
Years ago I visited the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory on… Cape Cod.
A little surprising to see people raking chips in oil with a green metal lawn rake. I’m actually not a huge fan of their plain ones, I think the low fat are actually better. Both seem to lake some flavor. Their dark chips, Russet?, are better.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
It might not be exactly the same... but seems that "donair" other places is usually written "doner"... or more typically "doner kebab".
Yeah it's really super similar imo, but it starts a fight in the local tradition of believing that nothing anywhere can be the same or as good as X (name your home town)

James

Out There
Instructor
“Doner” = dumb
Should at least be “Donner”. :geek:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Somewhat of a topic drift, but sadly, a childhood local favorite has come to the end of the line...

Mike Sells Potato Chips

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Years ago I visited the Cape Cod Potato Chip factory on… Cape Cod.
A little surprising to see people raking chips in oil with a green metal lawn rake. I’m actually not a huge fan of their plain ones, I think the low fat are actually better. Both seem to lake some flavor. Their dark chips, Russet?, are better.
I kind of agree. Cape Cod's are thick and rather oily, but if you like a huge amount of crunch they are great.

As I recall, Cape Cod chips - I lived on the Cape for a while, and my parents did for a long time - were part of the first wave of "craft" food and drink. It was "back to the way food was made when it was actually, you know, food." Think Samuel Adams beer, and Steve's (or Ben and Jerry's) ice cream. I give them credit for that.

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO, the best are Lay's Classic - thin, greasy and salty. :geek: Vicky's jalapeno and old-school BBQ are a distant second and third, respectively. So funny how tastes vary.

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
First, I'll mention that I voted for Dill Pickle flavor.
Next, I need to mention that this thread brought up some childhood memories. I grew up just outside of Chicago and my Dad worked as a route salesman delivering Jays Potato Chips.
th-3197261870.jpg

Each year for Halloween we would give out individual bags of potato chips at our house. The salty chips were a definite contrast to all of the sweet, sugary candy. Our house was very popular on Halloween. I remember my Mom telling me about kids swapping and mixing and matching their costumes in order to go back for seconds.

James

Out There
Instructor
Cape Cod's are thick and rather oily, but if you like a huge amount of crunch they are great.
Yes, super crunch fest. I think that’s why it’s so incongruous. Super crunch, quality product, but the flavor just isn’t there. At least the oil isn’t like some cheap brands where after you scarf down a bunch you have to wonder how your own expiration date has just altered.

Deep River Sweet Maui Onion

IMG_1072.jpeg

Sweet and salty

A good while ago, they gave these out at a tent at Okemo. Really good then, still good.

Sponsor

Staff online