• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best rope tow mittens for a small woman

bbbradley

Out on the slopes
Skier
We used to train at a local hill with a rope tow (30 seconds up and 30 seconds down!!), the trick was to go buy some welding gloves for the ride up and switch to regular gloves for the training run down. Ski gloves were lousy at wear resistance from a rope tow and welding gloves were lousy for skiing. Inconvenient, yes, but stuffing your feet into hard plastic shells then clamping flexible planks to your feet, all while dressed in layers of clothes to go outside in the cold is a bit odd too. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
@crgildart , I am curious as to why you say it’s best to buy glove protectors at the hill?
It’s not not boot fitting right? You don’t need specific advice, you just buy them and walk out. So why would one place be better than another?

I used to work at a ski shop, and we sold them, (pretty much every hill in MN has a rope tow on the terrain park), seemed to be about the least fussy piece of gear for skiing/boarding we sold.
@Slim most shops don't carry that item.. It's a very narrow customer base. Go try to find some online, especially in the small size. The few resorts that actually still run old school rope tows buy them all for their own shop. So, usually that's the ONLY place to buy them..

TS
ejj

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
@crgildart , funny, must be regional. I can’t think of a hill around here that does NOT have a rope tow.

Yep--Minnesota terrain parks and race hills all use the rope. Fast rope means tons of reps on the hill. They were training at -10 the other day and shedding layers since they get hot.

As mentioned--the fast ropes are not for the timid!

James

Out There
Instructor
@crgildart , funny, must be regional. I can’t think of a hill around here that does NOT have a rope tow.
Haven’t been on or seen a rope tow in 40 years. Closest was a cable tow with handles.

Well, that’s not true. Abasin has a short one, and I was on one in Switzerland. They are more slow movers. Neither were the old style burn your gloves rope tow I remember.

S.H.

USSA Coach
Skier
Haven’t been on or seen a rope tow in 40 years. Closest was a cable tow with handles.

Well, that’s not true. Abasin has a short one, and I was on one in Switzerland. They are more slow movers. Neither were the old style burn your gloves rope tow I remember.
go to Cochrans!

James

Out There
Instructor
go to Cochrans!
Heh, yeah I wanted to get yo Bolton Valley this year, maybe check out Cochran’s.

This is out at Suicide Six. Stopped by after closing day at Stowe this season. I think it was used in 1984 for the 50th anniversary of the first lift, a rope tow that was up the road.
99F066CA-D24D-4534-943F-712C1126E4B6.jpeg

Sponsor