• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best Ski Socks?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
There's everything else and then there's compression ski socks. There are numerous advantages for skiers to use compression ski socks including consistent boot fit, athletic performance, and foot warmth. The big brands are Dissent Labs and CEP, but I actually prefer Zensah and Pure (better bang for the buck).

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I start with an ultra thin wool sock and then transition to a thin wool sock if the liner compresses more than I like. I have been known to go to a medium weight sock for boots that I have really liked before finally getting new boots.

I'm in my 4th season on Head Advant Edge 125 and still rockin the ultra thin sock. Probably helps that I found a boot that was wide enough and large volume, and high instep enough to go down a size and get a snug, comfortable fit. Still needed to punch the shells at the baby toes, though.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I've got a friend that skis barefoot. Pretty much eliminates any decision making.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll start training some new boots on Tuesday, so bought some new ultra-thin socks to begin what I expect will be my standard 70-100 day progression of thin to medium to thick socks.

A new brand to me "FITS Merino Wool Thinnest, Non-Cushioned, Graduated Compression Throughout". Recommended by my local brick and mortar store and Made in the USA for the win.

loving the darn toughs I got for christmas, and a LIFETIME WARRANTEE. for SOCKS. boggles the mind.

I also love Darn Tough hiking socks but have gotten push back over the lifetime warranty.

To be fair, I also use them as house slippers, but REI's house-brand socks RULE in that application. They need replacement once a decade.

I've got a friend that skis barefoot. Pretty much eliminates any decision making.

I did some of that in my younger years.

Behind a boat, on a ski rope! :ogbiggrin:

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sockwell Alpine Racer wool graduated-compression socks are really nice if you can find them.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Le bent. The thinnest, simplest ones they make
I've got 4 or 5 pairs of very thin LeBent bamboo/merino socks that I got pretty cheap on ebay(~$5/pair). I originally only ordered one pair because I hadn't heard of the brand and was skeptical because of the low price. Ordered more after wearing them once.

Reactions: BMC

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Smartwool PHD Pro Freeski Socks, thin and with light cushioning at the shin and ankle where it's useful, (ski socks with cushioned toe caps don't work for me), but tight around the calves, try them on before purchasing -

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My first issue is finding socks that are tall enough. I am tall, and hate socks that end mid calf, they slide down if the cuff is loose, or cut into my calf if it’s tight.
So that narrows it down a lot.
I like merino for staying soft and smelling ok.

FITS Pro is my favorite currently. Very thin in the front, but slightly thicker in heel and shin, where my skinny heels, ankles and calves can use the extra thickness.

Sort of like ski boots, what fits me, won’t fit you.

I tried a pair a CES compression socks, but despite sizing by calf circumference, they don’t seem very tight around the ankle, and I don’t notice any effect.

My wife swears by compression socks though (old style Smartwool, no padding, ultralight).

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
The SmartWool PhD medium seems to be the most popular, but the thinner SmartWool PhD Light Elite seems better for me for a closer fit in the boot.

Last edited:

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I really like Fox River

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I'm partial to DeFeet's Bode Miller ski socks.

20170222_210452_Queen Of The West Road-1 Fuxi socks.jpg

Dr. Mark

Getting off the lift
Skier
Smartwool variants and Darn Tough are really great, but the best ski sock IMO is the Icebreaker anatomically specific, medium cushion.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Smartwool variants and Darn Tough are really great, but the best ski sock IMO is the Icebreaker anatomically specific, medium cushion.
Love the anatomically specific socks, only have been having a difficult time finding good quality wool with a tight weave from Icebreaker.
Because I like thin socks that fit and don't bunch up and or fold and overlap anywhere on foot, the quality of yarns and tightness of weave matter a lot.

TS
jo3st3

jo3st3

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you find your feet getting sweaty... which leads to a cold wet boot... I guess go thinner? But what if you still want plenty of shin protection?

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
If you find your feet getting sweaty... which leads to a cold wet boot... I guess go thinner? But what if you still want plenty of shin protection?

Shin protection from a sock is a misnomer. If you are getting shin bang, get Booster straps or get a new liner.

Sponsor

Staff online