• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best tires for Moab

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Not for me (I wish) but for a customer heading out to Moab for 6 weeks. What tires are best for out there? Surely there will be a range of opinions, but what do you like for that sort of riding?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Not for me (I wish) but for a customer heading out to Moab for 6 weeks. What tires are best for out there? Surely there will be a range of opinions, but what do you like for that sort of riding?
Round. I'll show myself out now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, most everybody knows I'm a fan of Bontrager tires, but for Moab, a 2.6 Vittoria Mezcal out back and 2.6 Barzo are the cat's meow.

Caveat: The 2.6 Mezcal is big -- looks near 2.8 to me, but fits fine on my OG Slash.

Reactions: nay

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

bremmick

Booting up
Skier
I really like the Bontrager tires as well. For me it’s a 2.4 XR4 front and 2.4 XR2 rear.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not ridden there (well except for 20 years ago, one day), so with that caveat, here are my thoughts:

Terrain will vary between hardpack, sand (at the bottom of washes) and slickrock.
A higher volume tire helps with float in the sand, and traction on rock (more rubber on the rock).

For the rock sections, you want to avoid tall skinny knobs because they flex too much.

Fairly closely spaced knobs. Wide spaced knobs on rock means more unpredictable and doesn’t offer up extra traction like it does in loose soils, where the knobs can dig in.

Unless you are really going crazy, you can probably get by with a medium compound, since you won’t be riding in the wet. Firmer compounds last longer, roll faster and squirm less.
Maybe go softer up front if you really want all the grip you can get.

Tough casing in the rear because you will be smacking the wheel into ledges.

Inserts for the same reason: you want fairly low pressure to get max rubber on rock, but you also don’t want the tire to squirm or pinch flat.

The tire combo that comes to mind for those conditions is:

Rear: WTB Trailboss in tough casing, fast compound. 2.5 or 2.6 depending on what fits your bike.
This Tire has closely spaced medium height knobs, so you get a lot of rubber and a lot of edges on the rockm and it win’t squirm. Tough casing as listed above. Big volume.

Front:
AssegaI Exo+ 2.6 Maxterra. Not only is this the grippiest tread design out there, the extra knobs compared to a Minion (or similar) means less squirm and more predictable grip at all angles, which on slickrock, could be from riding off camber sections, not just cornering.
Maxterra rubber is probably grippy enough, since ’slickrock’ is actually quite grippy. Maxxgrip compound if you want all the grip and are willing to replace it sooner and roll slower. Only goes up to 2.5”.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My goal would be to walk as little as possible.

I would choose tires that are good on wet rock. It’s Moab but still precipitates 50 days a year so it’s probable that you could get stuck in a bad spot. Also lighter weight for big climbs but tough enough for downhill. And a spare in a pack. So basically a general purpose medium weight, medium compound, and medium width tire.

rachet

Booting up
Skier
There are a lot of great tire options to choose from, so the best one for your customer will depend on their riding style, the type of terrain they will be riding on, and their personal preferences. Here are a few popular options
  1. Maxxis Minion DHF: This tire is designed for aggressive riding and is a great choice for Moab's rocky and technical terrain. It offers excellent traction and stability, making it a popular choice among riders.
  2. Schwalbe Magic Mary: This tire is also well-suited for technical riding and is known for its predictable handling and excellent grip. Its big, widely spaced knobs are well-suited for loose and slippery conditions.
  3. Specialized Butcher: This tire is designed for aggressive riders who want a tire that can handle a wide range of conditions. It has a fast-rolling center and meaty side knobs for grip, making it a versatile choice for Moab.
  4. Bontrager SE4 Team Issue: This tire is a great all-around option for Moab and is designed for a balance of speed, traction, and stability. Its wide, aggressive knobs make it a good choice for loose and rocky conditions.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Really depends on the specific bike and the rider.

Sponsor

Staff online