• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best touring binding for a regular boot?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
So you're really asking us "What's the best frame binding out there"?

If person's boot has a walk mode that would help their comfort level - but won't really affect their binding choices.

chris_the_wrench

Spinning wrenches and throwing spokes.
Skier
Cast was(maybe still) adding pin sockets to alpine boots, but I cant imagine a boot w/o a walk function would be too much fun.

TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
So you're really asking us "What's the best frame binding out there"?

If person's boot has a walk mode that would help their comfort level - but won't really affect their binding choices.
Sure. I'm only familiar with Tyrolia's 2 offerings.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
2-4 year old Salomon Guardians can be had from about $225-280.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have (about to retire this season) Tyrolia Ambitions.
I liked them ok-ish:
  • Easy mode transfer, no need to remove skis
  • one size fits all boot sizes
  • good pivot point location, almost underneath the tech inserts of my boots(for reference)
  • fairly cheap
  • light for a frame binding
  • ski well (these were on my inbounds skis, and I have used them for several years now) for me. I am not very demanding though.
  • low binding delta
  • bad: the touring mode latch got rounded out (probably from me forcing it when iced up) so now it often needs two hands to latch it into ski mode, negating benefit #1.
  • +/- Tall stand height if that bothers you

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a friend here in Duluth selling a pair of the bigger size Adrenaline if interested.

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have Solly Guardians - Heavy, and Marker Tour F12's - Squeaky.
I like the Tour F12's bec they are lighter but neither ski that great. Hard to explain
but the rails somehow make the ski feel weird underfoot during the downhill. I've used reg alpine bindings
on the same ski and the ski reacts TOTALLY different than w/ the rails. To the point where I usually
revert back to Tele for B/C. Solly Guardians have past reputation of Fractured Rails if you push them
too hard. I don't know if that complaint remains true for the current versions. Tour F12's are pretty basic
stuff... nothing to write home about. They work ... but they squeak. I'm going to try lubing them w/ silicone grease and spray
to see if they will stop. REALLY annoying!!!! At the top of the climb, be sure to clean off all ice to get the binding
to lock down into alpine mode. :beercheer:

slow-line-fast

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Touring boots work so much better for touring - if investing in a touring binding, mount, and skins, get touring boots too. The boot is lighter and walks better, and the binding is lighter and more efficient for walking (pin). With an alpine boot the rest of the investment is often a bit wasted, as touring is not so enjoyable thus doesn’t happen often.

From the OP not sure if it’s a cost or performance issue. On the latter there has been much improvement in touring boots that have good downhill performance and also a good walk mode, such as atomic hawx ultra xtd 130, lange xt3 tour pro, etc.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
All of the Salomon Guardian, Marker Tour, Tyrolia Adrenalin are very good. I had the Tyrolia mounted on a pair of Salomon QLabs, and Sth 2’s on the exact same ski, and while there was a difference in “feel” it wasn’t a big difference. I think this aspect is overweighted based on my direct experience.

If you only want one pair of alpine boots and skis to cover in bounds and short side country trips I think a frame binding is a really good choice. They’re definitely heavier and won’t tour as well as a tech AT binding, but like in everything, you’re trading off compromises. I’d much prefer to be on a frame binding skiing firm snow in bounds than on say a Marker Kingpin. But the Kingpin will tour better.

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
I ski the Marker Tour Bindings on an 88 underfoot ski regularly downhill (rarely use it to go uphill alas.) I don't notice it being any inferior to a normal alpine binding, perhaps those who don't like it are a lot heavier?

Reactions: BMC
TS
Dwight

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for info. Looks like the person already has the better framed touring binding.

May not purchase new boots and bindings until next year. Which will the be the Shift binding.

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Marker Baron here, mounted on a Voelkl Gotama. Skied (and irregularly skinned up) them for a couple of seasons using my then regular downhill boots (Tecnica XT17). Blisters all over on the uphill. Downhill and freeriding...nothing to complain about. Good, solid, very dependable, albeit heavy frame binding.
Replaced the boots with Tecnica Zero GP guide ( 1st gen) as soon as I had the money to.