• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Back to the original question...

I finally caved in and bought the Swix Evo Scraper Sharpener last week. Wow, what a difference! My previous calculation was 50 scrapers cost the same as one sharpener. But after hopelessly dulling about 40 scrapers I'm done struggling with the panzer technique. It just doesn't work. Or, it works a little. But when you have 6 pairs of race skis and another 6 rec skis, with kids on snow 6 days a week, dull scrapers that require endless work on the panzer file just plain sucks. This nifty little machine saves a ton of time and effort, and the scrapers are like new. With 40 old scrapers to sharpen, I have certainly bought my last one!

Second best tuning purchase I've made, after the Verdonk Snowglide.

Maybe, but I bet you a beer in Breck you sharpen the scrapers to the nub quicker than you might think. :beercheer:

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Well, wearing out your scraper with sharpening isn't as hard on the soul as wearing out the edges of your favorite skis with sharpening. :eek:

True. I just never cottoned to the sharpener we had in the shop. Most of it was probably the way some would butcher the scrapers in it. Not straight and/or gouged from skipping across the blade. I am using a single scraper I started using last season that has seen probably seen 1 - 1.5 K pairs of skis. I am parsimonious, but more importantly a liker of straight sharp blades. I know the electric scraper sharpeners will do it. I just don't bother anymore with a 4" belt sander 15 feet away. Now that makes a scraper wicked shaaarp. And I don't have to keep walking upstairs to the retail case to grab new scrapers. ;)

(who knew there were so many ways and opinions about how to sharpen a scraper :huh:)

:rolleyes:

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ordered the Swix “World Cup” sharpener (the one with guides on both sides). Having never sharpened my scrapers I’m sure it will prove to be of great help. Never realized it before this thread but my scrapers were about as sharp as the leading edge of a bowling ball.

You guys are getting good at spending my money!

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok, I'll bite...what is the best way to cut scrapers? Just ordered the 25 pack, thinking of using a chop saw with a fine finish blade...

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, a chop saw works - i assume you are cutting some snowboard scrapers. I just used the normal blade that was in my chop saw then ran the short/cut edge of the scraper through my scraper sharpener

Jeffdag

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for the confirmation. May just hit the cut edge with a palm sander to smooth it out, (not sure if the Mantac is best for a short edge)

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had been contemplating an electric sharpener and stopped at my LSS to check what they had in stock.
Instead of the sharpener I left with a handful of new scrapers thinking I would continue with the panzer file for sharpening.
Using a new scraper I realized I’ve not used a sharp scraper for a long time and headed back the the LSS.
C131B97C-D3FA-456D-BAE4-FD647E1924BB.jpeg

BClipped

Booting up
Skier
Anyone tried the Toko electric scraper sharpener? I can’t seem to find the Swix one in the UK, other than from a few re-sellers trying to flog one shipped from the USA with $200 in shipping charges (!!!). Toko seems more readily available, but no one has mentioned it in this thread yet...

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Swix Sports purchased Toko in 2010. The wax lines are separate but a lot of the tools are identical.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid