• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Just get one of these. Sand it a bit so it's not "too" sharp. It will not need re-sharping for a long long time!
3096Z-4_400x400.jpg

Reactions: BC.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Say what you want, but the electric sharpener makes the scraper much, much sharper than a panzar file or any of the other tools I've bought over the years. Yes they get small quickly, but scraping the wax off is like 3 times easier after one pass through the sharpener.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I've used every single method, and had every single "tool/guide." I've had guys who tech on the WC working in our ski room. Ten years ago I had a thick plexi board mounted on the wall, with a fresh sanding screen taped to it, as that was what most techs preferred. Then.....the electric scraper sharpener arrived. The following Christmas a couple more were under the tree for our two kids. Never going back, haha, unless I'm traveling. Then any flat surface, and any kind of sandpaper works. To be honest it depends on how many skis you're scraping, how sharp you want them, etc. Just my $.02.

Back l when I first started doing this as a young teen, late 1960's, my scraper was always a Sandvik Stainless scraper. My dad taught me how to burnish it, rather than using a 10" bastard file to sharpen it. Seems like a LONG time ago. Guess it was!

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just get one of these. Sand it a bit so it's not "too" sharp. It will not need re-sharping for a long long time!
3096Z-4_400x400.jpg

I will use a metal scraper (Sandvik) as well....and yes totally ageee..never need to worry about sharpening. I just didn’t want to start a whole new debate on metal vs plastic.

@Jacques....oops you did it again....lol. :popcorn:

Wolfski

Getting on the lift
Skier
A Panzer on the bench works great just watch your fingers as they get old and smaller. I've found that using the Panzer file the scrapers eventually develop a scalloped pattern so I then use a large lathe file to remove that pattern every 2-3 sharpening's but I don't do that often as my scraper quiver is fairly large
Mine get sharp enough to cut skin but an electric sharpener would be quite a time saver for shop work.
We used to use the old belt sander in the shop but the scrapers evaporated using that

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Drywall screen, 1x4, clamp. I guess because I run the iron with Fiberlene down the ski twice before cooling, scraping isn't a huge deal. Plus I've got rotobrushes, which, although i don't want to get them all full of wax, make short work of what isn't removed by the scraper. The flip side is that in spite of a guard, wax can make the floor really dangerous, so now I've got a rug under the bench.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I had well over 100 scrapers to sharpen when I first got an electric machine. Scrapers that had bowed slightly, etc. What I thought was quite interesting, the first time I saw this, were the number of WC techs who were so busy working that they had a fresh box of scrapers, and would throw them in the trash as soon as they were dulled and reach for another. My son was hanging around the wax trailers at an event, helping out, and he probably came home one night with 30.

Whatever works for you.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
I will use a metal scraper (Sandvik) as well....and yes totally ageee..never need to worry about sharpening. I just didn’t want to start a whole new debate on metal vs plastic.

@Jacques....oops you did it again....lol. :popcorn:

Yea, IDK why folks get so afraid of a steel scraper. As long as it's not "too" sharp your not going to de-fang your base grind.
A well sharpened plastic scraper can de-fang anyway. Especially during a hot scrape for those that still do that.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The usual manual Suspects.
Swix Multi pack.jpg

The home made / jury rigging options.

Sand paper/screen & wood fence.

Drywall screen.jpg

Free handed with file.
File.jpg

Newfangled fence and abrasive screen.
Sandpaper.jpg

File and vise set up.

Vise & File.jpg

Electric power options.

EdgR with a trimmer motor/
Bosch_2.jpg

Carrot.
Carrot_02.jpg

Mantac.

Mantac.jpg

Take your pick Go for it. It's all up you.

I have a box of plastic scrapers. Probably over 70 pieces. Most are cut from scrap pieces of plexi.
When a scraper gets dull I throw it in a box with all the dull scrapers. Rarely sharpen them until they are all dull. Production run thing.
At home, I use a router table set up with a large router. 1/2" up spiral straight bit with a 1/32" offset straight fence for sharpening.
On the road, I carry 8 to 10 scrapers with a Mantac unit. When the Mantac dies, I'll set a trimmer motor powered unit with a built up guide fence of either aluminum or plexi like the EdgR unit.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
The Mantac is the one I have.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you not familiar with Francois/ Ghost? A pander file mounted to the tuning bench works just fine and is basically 'free'.

ROFL! :roflmao:I know that...BUT....he asked for the BEST technique, not the cheapest! :D

And when you are prepping multiple pairs of race skis, having apple of sharp scrapers is a huge plus!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
and there is also the other cheap mechanical method I have used (Caution, definitely not OSHA approved!) Get an electric plane (~$20 from Harbor Freight), secure it upside down on the bench and then run the scrapers though it....:rolleyes:

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I use this thing that i got off ebay a few years ago. Brand is some s andinavian sounding word lik hoolcam...

Attachments

• IMAG0692.jpg
    IMAG0692.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 511

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
Thinking of trying my router and table. Using the fence should give it a nice straight edge. Just need to look at the bits to see which is the best.

Sponsor