• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Betsy Pratt (3/12/28 - 3/17/23)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1679098942603.png
From Mad River Glen's FB page...

Betsy Pratt, our previous owner and visionary behind the Co-op, passed away peacefully today, Friday, March 17th, 2023 at the age of 95. Surrounded by loved ones, Betsy spent her final days watching snow fall on the Single Chair webcam. We owe Betsy a great deal of gratitude for protecting and preserving our paradise. Thank you, Betsy. If you don’t know her story, we welcome you to it here.

Betsy Pratt, born March 12th, 1928, began skiing Mad River Glen while attending Vassar College. It was on one fateful ski trip in 1954 that she met Truxton Pratt, a New York banker. At the time Betsy worked as assistant treasurer of the Ford Foundation. Betsy and Truxton soon married and had four children Polly, Amanda, Liz, and Truxton. They all learned to ski at Mad River Glen and the family had a ski home in Fayston.

Betsy considered herself a steward of the mountain and dedicated herself to maintaining Roland’s vision. She always saw Mad River as a place that offered a challenging, outdoor adventure in a pristine, natural setting. A place with an ethos that developed organically, and a firm foundation based on the idea that love for the sport outweighed financial considerations. She was always concerned about keeping Mad River in its natural state as much as possible.

In 1995, Les Otten, who’d just started building his resort empire with the American Skiing Company, made an offer to buy out Mad River Glen, which Pratt had presided over during the previous 20 years. As legend has it, when Otten approached her at the bar, Betsy took a drag off her big corncob pipe, blew the smoke in his face, and told him where he could stick the check. Then she sold it to skiers for half the price and financed it interest-free until she sold enough shares.

In December of 1995 the Mad River Glen Co-op bought Mad River Glen from Betsy Pratt.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just saw that

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For the long timers here and going back to the Epic days, you might recall my tales of our annual "Boys Trip" to Mad River Glen. We'll on those trips we stayed at the Mad River Barn which was also owned by Betsy. We used to spend evening in the bar talking to her and hearing the stories of the mountain. In Betsy's later years she didn't spend that much time in Vermont but more the Outer Banks of North Carolina playing golf. She was in inspiration and will always be remembered.

Old pics from Mad River and The Barn...
Double Chair.JPG
Single into the light.JPG
MADRVR plate.jpg
IMG_1396.JPG
IMG_1367.JPG

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Never had a chance to meet her, but I imagine everyone who has ever skied in Vermont has heard of her.

RIP. A life well lived.

JeffPA

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Betsy Pratt was always there to welcome us at the Inn at Mad River Barn and then she knew the Mad River mountain and where to ski the next day. Timeless visits and we will miss her.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
She leaves behind a one of a kind ski legacy.

January 2010: This eerie early morning light occurred on my first ride ever on the iconic single chair at Mad River Glen, VT. Great ski mountain! I made it a point to return there several times since.
mrg single chair.JPG

Mike from VT on Paradise trail about ten years ago:
mike paradise mrg.jpg

Last edited:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

My niece was born and raised in Warren VT and as a film student, created this piece her senior year. I thought I had posted it here, but I don't think I ever actually did. Seems like a good time to do it! (She isn't technically my niece, I guess; the daughter of my cousin, but they always feel like nieces and nephews, not cousins.)

My actual niece went to high school at GMVS, right next door, and I was planning to visit spring of her senior year and finally ski MRG but it so happened she was the class of 2020, and we all know where that went....

Last edited:

AaronFM

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
My first multi-day overnight ski trip was with you and the guys to MRG and The Barn back in '01 or '02. I remember her hospitality and evening stories at the barn over dinner and whiskey. A pioneer and legend in the industry.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those of us who love MRG are forever indebted to her. RIP Betsy.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
And think about what a trip it would have been going from Poughkeepsie NY to Waitsfield in the late 40's-early 50's.

no edge

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Betsy took a drag off her big corncob pipe, blew the smoke in his face, and told him where he could stick the check. Then she sold it to skiers for half the price and financed it interest-free until she sold enough shares."

Very generous.

I met her at the bar - Mad River Barn, in 1977. I don't remember much except the conversation and laughter. We went there to have dinner family style down stairs. It was just a bunch of skiers sitting together. The food was good and wine flowed freely. Maureen and I went there for our honeymoon back in '87.

I met Betsy at the mountain but I don't really remember much about that. The snowboard incident was exciting. ...quite a woman.