• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy meet up thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was really fun. The powder had a nice consistency so after the 15 minutes of fun was over, the nice soft piles were fun to ski.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yup, today was a great ski day. Who doesn't love fresh, fluffy snow?!?! Also, met up with @Rostapher for a few runs-- always nice to ski with ski talkers? Pugs? What's our name again?

20210311_095957.jpg
20210311_100611.jpg
Over boot top deep in places. Huge chunky fluff piles.

20210311_100616.jpg

20210311_101534.jpg
Pug meet up.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Today was also super fun. The conditions were excellent. It got a bit crowded under chair 7 and there were far too many straight liners but we managed to evade them. I'm out of shape I think, two days in a row on 3D snow (through today was only a small amount of fresh) and I was tired!

Last edited:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
What a day! My legs are shot from slashing knee deep pillows. Mount Baldy was terrific with the new snow. True, the base wasn't quite deep enough and I scrapped rocks more than I'd like. But the powder turns were worth it.

The picture with the lift in it is looking at Emilie's Bowl. The other picture looking at a ridge where I did most of my skiing today. Lots of stashes. I skied down various sections down from that ridge and my favorite run was the one all the way to the left due to the fact that it had the most fresh snow left.

IMG_1334.jpg IMG_1336.jpg

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
2 great days of skiing, Snow Valley yesterday & Baldy today! Great to see @socalgal & family at SV. Their little ripper was doing great in the chopped up pow! Lots of fun lines opened up for exploring with maybe a foot and a half falling over Wed & Thursday.

Baldy was, in places, even deeper than SV as today was their first day open since the storm started. Not much time for picture taking, plus the viz was constantly changing as clouds, snow and bits of sun & blue sky all swept through. Sorry to miss you @river-z, but sounds like you had a good time as well!

Snow Valley
0E7ACF4F-3746-497D-94A0-6157E9169815.jpeg
5C629031-165C-4DED-817A-B4ACC6C80A11.jpeg
Baldy - Goldridge is the stripe in the middle
5837E6AB-060F-438A-B71A-DC76909FD6A8.jpeg

Last edited:

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
Baldy was, in places, even deeper than SV as today was their first day open since the storm started. Not much time for picture taking, plus the viz was constantly changing as clouds, snow and bits of sun & blue sky all swept through. Sorry to miss you @river-z, but sounds like you had a good time as well!

Good to hear you had a great time! I kept looking for a person with an orange jacket... I guess we just never ran into each other.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hit up Baldy again Saturday afternoon & the snow was already worse for wear. Lots of aspects were sun affected with thin re-frozen crust on top of some chopped powder. The best aspects for snow were NE facing with trees: Emilie's trees, Goldridge trees & South Bowl trees/chutes, where there were still fairly soft powder turns & a few deep spots to be had.

The liftie said that Saturday AM was a zoo with lots of people there by 7 am, but by the afternoon it had thinned out to the point that I just skied on for most runs.

I even skied to the parking lot, but the way I went was crusty & rocky in many places for some difficult skiing. So if you value your pristine bases & edges, I wouldn't recommend it. Or for that matter really skiing most of the off-piste at Baldy, bring your rock skis!

Mt. San Antonio
Baldy 13Mar21_2.jpg
Emilie's Bowl & trees (foreground) & Herbs Hollow/Goldridge (back)
Baldy 13Mar21.jpg

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was snaining this morning at Summit and the visibility was terrible. We hung in there a couple of hours but the booty just got too wet from sitting in the soaking wet chairs. I’m getting wimpy in my old age!

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was snaining this morning at Summit and the visibility was terrible. We hung in there a couple of hours but the booty just got too wet from sitting in the soaking wet chairs. I’m getting wimpy in my old age!
That's when I break out the rain pants to wear OVER the snow pants! (if you're on vacation and desperate to ski) I would probably bail too if I lived as close as you!

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
More snow in the forecast for tomorrow? I meant to get up there this season...but have been skiing out of state....maybe b4 the end of the season. Going to haul to Mammoth this weekend.

TS
Pat AKA mustski

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing coming our way this storm. It was fun today though- rock hard in the morning and then slowly softening starting around 11:00. I’m taking my skinny skis tomorrow- they’re more fun in the melt/freeze conditions.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Headed up to Baldy yesterday (3/18] afternoon and it was pretty nice. The snow was holding up well in most places, soft but not yet slushy, As usual, the coldest & slightly harder snow in places was on NE aspects in & around the trees. Groomers were fairly smooth and fast as well.

Had to stay alert and in the middle of skis on run outs & cat tracks that were slushy in many places, esp watery places almost came to a stop. But then hit a patch in the shade of a tree where it was still a bit icy & the skis would shoot forward! Good times! 499556C6-BABF-4B61-86DB-B971CAECB56D.jpeg 9C5B6036-EAE1-4C28-890A-E09EA3088EB1.jpeg 45BD2627-69B7-4039-8789-0B8A5EF39818.jpeg 77BCFDC9-251B-4454-8101-87D6B653A976.jpeg

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I was at Baldy today and concur. Really nice spring conditions once the sun softened things up.

...that said, Baldy is the worst at grooming I've ever seen. Nobody goes to Baldy for the groomers (I sure don't) but man are they chunky in the morning when it's cold and hasn't softened up yet.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Fantastic spring skiing yesterday ..

7A86ECB2-F1C5-466F-90D0-61822A634DB2.jpeg
Ullr working overtime

taco Tuesday bbq moved to Wednesday..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online