• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Big Bear, Mountain High, Waterman, Baldy meet up thread 20/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Went up to Baldy Sunday and skied in shorts & a flannel shirt w/ base layer! Nice spring skiing! The snow was was surprisingly good & there was still fairly decent coverage, but in the afternoon there was a mini pond skim developing near the loading area of #3 lift. Also, they just announced that this Fri, Sat, Sun (4/2-4) will be the closing weekend. I'm sure they're losing snow quickly with the high temps this week, so it will be a lot thinner than even Sunday.

If you're planning on going this weekend be aware of this info from the Baldy website: "The snow in the Gulch is typically the first to go, but the juice on Thunder Mountain is still worth the squeeze. Expect to take your board or skis off and walk portions of the Gulch to get to the goods. Chair #2 will not operate until 3 pm to bring you back to the Top of the Notch, where another walk from the top of Chair #2 will be waiting for you."

I'll be there on Saturday if anyone else is planning on heading up!

Dueling Selfies
Baldy2 3_28_21.jpg

Baldy 3_28_21.jpg

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, we skied the snow off Baldy again today. The snow coverage was pretty good.... until it wasn’t. It was a day of ridiculous skiing & ridiculous pictures. At various points we had to hop logs, ski over shrubbery, hit dead ends with no snow and generally avoided rocks & dirt as best we could. It was actually still a bit crusty in the morning in parts and softening, but not too hot, in the afternoon. Socal spring skiing at its finest! 0F570E0B-80AC-4A86-B5FF-0579DCCD5FD3.jpeg F28B49DD-33FC-4359-ACFA-54D843E52860.jpeg 8E890CD2-DF5F-438C-A44E-27E73A49C0A9.jpeg 0625229C-76FE-4617-8A96-0A311F1182D1.jpeg

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
The end ......

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds good. I'll msg you on monday. I'll be starting from Main because I anticipate some problems getting my ICON renewed tomorrow. Hopefully, it goes smoothly but I'm a pessimist at heart
I bought my 21-22 Ikon yesterday with both the deferral credit & renewal credit, and it actually worked perfectly. (I’m a pessimist/realist at heart too!) Just know that you have to click through to next screen before the credits show up in the tally. So, we’ll be at Mammoth this 23-26 Fri-Mon! @Larry How did it go actually getting the spring pass from Mammoth at the window?

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bought my 21-22 Ikon yesterday with both the deferral credit & renewal credit, and it actually worked perfectly. (I’m a pessimist/realist at heart too!) Just know that you have to click through to next screen before the credits show up in the tally. So, we’ll be at Mammoth this 23-26 Fri-Mon! @Larry How did it go actually getting the spring pass from Mammoth at the window?
From main window it went pretty smoothly. I called 8:00am 4/19 to ICON. on hold for 10 minutes but talked to the sales rep and within 4m5 minutes was reupped. By the time I got to main lodge and on the slope it was only 9am. So all n all, it went much smoother than I'd hoped.

Mammont on Monday 4/19 was pretty packed though with eagle/canyon closing and chair 5 not spinning.

Tuesday 4/20 was much less crowded even though 5 wasnt accessible still

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Good to know @Larry. Glad it went well for you! How were the snow conditions?
From main window it went pretty smoothly. I called 8:00am 4/19 to ICON. on hold for 10 minutes but talked to the sales rep and within 4m5 minutes was reupped. By the time I got to main lodge and on the slope it was only 9am. So all n all, it went much smoother than I'd hoped.

Mammont on Monday 4/19 was pretty packed though with eagle/canyon closing and chair 5 not spinning.

Tuesday 4/20 was much less crowded even though 5 wasnt accessible still

Larry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good to know @Larry. Glad it went well for you! How were the snow conditions?
I guess you would say "spring" like conditions. Chairs 1 and 2 were skiing very well from 8:30-10 then already started getting soft "mushy". If you tried skiing runs like "Andys" it was almost like skiing down an ice rink.

Cornice and Scotty's were skiing very well though but with only half of the mountain open we pretty much skied down Cornice up 23 to Scotty down Scotty back to Gondy at bottom.

I did do Climax once and it was pretty good too but a tad to difficult for me.

Overall, with weather, snow, limited chairs I'd normally give it an 8/10. For me it was about 9/10 because it was my first time back there in almost 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online