• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There’s a nice thread on the LCC conditions, but someone must be skiing BCC too right?

Care to share the conditions? Any pics?

Thanks!

Tjaard

PS, If conditions are bad, it might be time for a lesson, any instructor recommendations at Solitude, Brighton, or Deer Valley?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Solitude and Brighton are reporting 5”. Outside of BCC, Powder Mountain is reporting 3”.

Anyone ski some of these resorts?

Last edited:

dsmallwood

Booting up
Skier
I can't answer your question, but I can add that this has begun to sound silly:
Early Season Conditions Exist

that's a copy from Snowbird's January 7th Mountain Report. you can say "Marginal Conditions Exist" or "Not So Good Conditions Exist" but you can't keep calling it 'early season'

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
G'day,
I'm a Solitude season pass holder. Conditions in BCC will almost always mirror conditions in LCC and vice-versa. All four of the Cottonwood Canyon resorts are in extremely close proximity to each other. In regard to conditions at Solitude, it has only a fraction of its normal snowpack for this time of year. This has resulted in a reduced amount of terrain open and some of the terrain that is open is, in my opinion, very marginal. Thus far I'm being quite selective in where I choose to ski and ride. We have a pretty long season and I'm a risk mitigator. Not interested in sustaining any type of injury that will jeopardize my ability to participate in the next (hopefully) four-plus months of skiing and riding or all the other outdoor recreational activities I routinely indulge in. I also prefer not to trash my gear. That being said, there is a relatively small minority that is venturing into said questionable terrain. I don't see much reward for the risk being taken.

Surprisingly, crowds since the day after Xmas have been very robust. I believe this is also true for the other Cottonwood Canyon and Park City-based resorts. This has resulted in significant crowding on many groomed runs and something one rarely experiences at Soli, lift lines. Normally I do the vast majority of my riding and skiing off piste and when off piste conditions aren't suitable to my liking I rest up for the next storm cycle; however, this season I've been overdosing on groomers. I think I've already equalled or exceeded my usual seasonal allotment. Groomers are where the best and safest snow surfaces/conditions are currently found. The mix of man-made to natural snow on the runs is a long way from optimal for my tastes but I'm spoiled by living and skiing/riding here for the past 30+ years. Every day during chair lift rides I hear out-of-towners raving about the snow so I suppose it compares favorably to what they're used to but it's not up to the usual Wasatch standard.

Today the parking lot filled up and vehicles were parked on the canyon road. This doesn't normally happen as a result of a paltry five-inch storm but locals are starved for any snow. It was a sunny day with mild temperatures. There are a number of groomed runs where rock and debris avoidance is not an issue but the combination of large crowds, limited terrain, and a big dose of man-made has resulted in patches of snow with a polished surface emerging by noon, or sooner on crowded days like today. I suspect this coming week will see greatly reduced numbers of skiers and riders but things will ramp up again with the upcoming holiday weekend. The best surface conditions are found first thing in the morning. There's also fewer participants and no lift queues at that time.

I don't have photos or first-hand experience this season thus far at Brighton or Deer Valley. I do have ski and/or riding privileges at both as a result of my pass but have been blacked out through today. Brighton has two-thirds the acreage of Soli and typically has larger crowds so I expect conditions to be similar there. Deer Valley (and Park City) don't receive the quantity or quite the same quality of snow as the CC resorts and are more dependent on man-made. Generally speaking, the terrain there is less rugged/rocky as well so they don't require the same coverage. Sorry but I also don't have any instructor recommendations. I wish this condition report had better news. We do have a storm approaching and will arrive in a couple days but we need a series of major impulses moving through to bring conditions up to just normal for this time of year.

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
G'day,
The best surface conditions are found first thing in the morning.

This can't be stressed enough. Even though the season around here sucks, the snowmaking and grooming crew still do a good job. If you're going to have to ski groomers the best time to do it is before the crowds arrive. Once the herds arrive the sheen starts to form, every choke point will get glossy.

Get in, get out.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the info guys.

I’m coming the 19th-21st (weekend after MLK).

Since I am not a local, and am pretty positive anyway, I would be happy with conditions that the locals would be unexcited about. I also wasn’t expecting 2 feet of powder.
What I was expecting for a late January trip in one of the snowiest areas of the US, was full coverage and soft snow conditions.

Unfortunately it seems this is a really bad year.

I am hopeful that the coming snow will at least freshen things up, to cover up the ice, and open up a few more ungroomed areas.

Due to the short time we have out there, I don’t think I could drive to Targhee, so I will have to make the most of SLC area’s offerings.

I have friends in Park City, so I figured doing a lesson at Deer Valley would be nice and close by. Oops! One day lesson there is over $900!!!!!!

Last edited:

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
The two-punch storm system approaching the Wasatch is looking promising. Aggregate forecast totals from the system range from 8" - 16" to 10" - 20". This has been the season of under-delivering or fizzling-out storms. Perhaps this one will over-deliver for a change. The snow is supposed to be heavy and wet, which will go a ways toward building a better base.

By the way, I've spent a lot of time in and around Duluth. I grew up in the Great Lakes region (not northern MN) and worked as a sailor/merchant seaman on the ships/ore freighters when I was young for several years. Lived in Duluth and also north of town in the Cotton/Canyon area when between stints on different vessels or waiting out a labor dispute or strike. Used the money to finance several years' worth of overseas adventure travel and a couple bachelor's degrees. Could see Spirit Mtn. from Lake Superior and also when in port in Duluth or Superior. Never been to Spirit Mtn. but I am confident you'll have a better time here, regardless of conditions, than your local hill.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The two-punch storm system approaching the Wasatch is looking promising. Aggregate forecast totals from the system range from 8" - 16" to 10" - 20". This has been the season of under-delivering or fizzling-out storms. Perhaps this one will over-deliver for a change. The snow is supposed to be heavy and wet, which will go a ways toward building a better base.

By the way, I've spent a lot of time in and around Duluth. I grew up in the Great Lakes region (not northern MN) and worked as a sailor/merchant seaman on the ships/ore freighters when I was young for several years. Lived in Duluth and also north of town in the Cotton/Canyon area when between stints on different vessels or waiting out a labor dispute or strike. Used the money to finance several years' worth of overseas adventure travel and a couple bachelor's degrees. Could see Spirit Mtn. from Lake Superior and also when in port in Duluth or Superior. Never been to Spirit Mtn. but I am confident you'll have a better time here, regardless of conditions, than your local hill.
This ^^^ starting about the 17th, things are looking like a shift to a NW flow, which favors us in the Wasatch GREATLY. To say I'm hopeful is an understatement. We were giddy to ski on 6" or so of fresh yesterday, on the off-piste areas we knew wouldn't be rocky or scary (read: areas that are next to groomers, or are often groomed in better seasons.) That's how bad it's been, but the forecast does look promising starting tomorrow and continuing through mid-month and beyond.
I talked to a lot of folks over the past two weeks who are from the midwest in particular, and they were still stoked. Snowbasin also was skiing better than PC or DV, I was told by several people. We do have world-class snowmaking capacity, so I think that has helped.

Come out and have fun. Powder Mountain is dismal, I've heard. But a few good storms will change that. (The Powder Mountain bus was at Snowbasin two days ago, that's how bad it's been there.)

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the info people!

Well, we are coming no matter what. If these coming storms do a good job it will be awesome. If they do a bit I should still be ok.
Basically, I will be happy as long as I can ski ungroomed and it’s not icy or crust there.

Are there situations where Deer Valley is (almost) as good as Solitude or Brighton? I have heard that Deer Valley patrons stick to the groomers more, so sometimes the lower density off-sets the lower amount of snow? Or conversely, if this storm is a bust, and snow levels remain poor, would DV be better for groomers than Solitude/Brighton?

If you guys are saying that we should get there early, no matter weather its a powder day or a groomer day, then I might need to book something in BCC, since driving from Park City would not get me there early.

If the snow actually adds up to something, and Powder Mountain becomes worthwhile, do you think we’d need to be there early to? On a Friday? On a Saturday?

Last edited:

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
If the snow actually adds up to something, and Powder Mountain becomes worthwhile, do you think we’d need to be there early to? On a Friday? On a Saturday?

No, not really. There may not be much snow there but there is zero snowmaking so what is there doesn't ice up. The problem is the lack of open terrain & lifts. Hopefully by the time your trip rolls around they will have significantly much more terrain open.

I'm glad I didn't pre-purchase any cat skiing passes...

Anyway, I'm heading up tomorrow to ski before work.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No, not really. There may not be much snow there but there is zero snowmaking so what is there doesn't ice up. The problem is the lack of open terrain & lifts. Hopefully by the time your trip rolls around they will have significantly much more terrain open.

I'm glad I didn't pre-purchase any cat skiing passes...

Anyway, I'm heading up tomorrow to ski before work.

Thanks, let me know. It seems pretty bleak there right now, just 4 lifts even running, and they only picked up 6” according to their website.
If it doesn’t pick up a bit more, I guess well stay in BCC. To bad as I’ve heard such great things abut Powder Mtn, and it seems like it would be right up my alley (in a better snow year).
If they pick up enough to fill in the coverage a bit, and its snowing next Friday’s swell it could be a good place for me to go, I don’t need 8000 acres, just a few few of them with fresh snow are fine!

Please let me know what its like!

Last edited:
TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How do you people rank the resorts next weekend, keeping in mind current conditions:
  • Deer Valley
  • Brighton
  • Solitude
  • Powder Mountain
In order of importance, looking for:
  1. Untracked
  2. Ungroomed
  3. Fun terrain: trees, rollers, rocks, gullies,lips etc,
  4. Variety/large area/ability to ski from one area of the resort to another
  5. Scenery
  6. Short lift lines
I don’t need super steeps or long runs. Looking for Blues and Single Black groomers and equivalent steepness ungroomed terrain. I’d rather have good snow on short, mellow laps than hard, icy nasty stuff on a steep long run. Of course if I could have both...

Do you think there is enough open at PowMow to keep me busy for a day? 2 days? Obviously Brighton and Solitude have more terrain open, and I could ski one one day, the other the next day. But, they are busier, will they be tracked out faster than Powder Mountain?

Deer Valley on Sunday would be really convenient, I’d get more skiing time in and less driving time, do you think it would be worthwhile or should I just suck up the drive and go to one of the other resorts.

How do you think the drive to the airport compares from Powder Mountain vs Brighton on a Sunday afternoon? On the map it’s 30 minutes longer from Powdermountain, but does traffic equalize that some more?

Last edited:

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Solitude
Brighton
Deer Valley
Powder Mountain

If it was me I'd ski Solitude and Brighton the whole time. It's going to be busy everywhere this weekend, MLK and basically the first big storm of the season will swell the crowds. Looking at what's open at Powder Mountain right now I wouldn't go up there, they don't even have Paradise spinning yet. I like Deer Valley but I'm pretty sure they're still on mostly groomers over there. It looks to be sunny all weekend, getting to the airport on Sunday shouldn't be an issue.

Be aware, we got a decent storm this week but it's still gonna be a low tide. No place is going to be 100% open yet and you're liable to touch a rock now and then off trail.

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Slim,

If the Paradise lift opens prior to your trip then I would put Pow Mow on the list. Paradise serves really good terrain and an absolutely huge number of acres. Today it was obvious that the last storm didn't serve up much if any snow at the base of Hidden Lake, which is higher in elevation than the base of Paradise. Stream beds showing through near the bottom of the lift, for chrissakes! Got some fresh inches of extremely dense snow on the top 1/2 of the mountain though. The good news is that what is open is filling much better than I anticipated. I didn't even hit a single rock today!

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
How do you people rank the resorts next weekend, keeping in mind current conditions:
  • Deer Valley
  • Brighton
  • Solitude
  • Powder Mountain
In order of importance, looking for:
  1. Untracked Solitude
  2. Ungroomed Solitude/Brighton
  3. Fun terrain: trees, rollers, rocks, gullies,lips etc, Solitude
  4. Variety/large area/ability to ski from one area of the resort to another Deer Valley
  5. Scenery Brighton
  6. Short lift lines Solitude

Surface conditions are currently a lot less icy than pre-recent storm. The snow that fell was mostly heavy and wet, improving coverage; however, we're still a pretty fair ways below normal in terms of the snowpack. All the local resorts are going to take a beating this coming holiday weekend. Conditions the following weekend (the time of your ski holiday) are difficult to forecast at present but I think it's safe to say you're not going to partake in a normal/average or superb/above average late-January Utah ski experience. I base this statement on anticipated open terrain and depth of the snowpack. I do think you'll still have a good time. A below average season here is superior to an average season many other places.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Solitude
Brighton
Deer Valley
Powder Mountain

If it was me I'd ski Solitude and Brighton the whole time. It's going to be busy everywhere this weekend, MLK and basically the first big storm of the season will swell the crowds. Looking at what's open at Powder Mountain right now I wouldn't go up there, they don't even have Paradise spinning yet. I like Deer Valley but I'm pretty sure they're still on mostly groomers over there. It looks to be sunny all weekend, getting to the airport on Sunday shouldn't be an issue.

Be aware, we got a decent storm this week but it's still gonna be a low tide. No place is going to be 100% open yet and you're liable to touch a rock now and then off trail.

Thanks, @BobMc , Are you talking about this coming weekend(MLK), or the following (when I’m coming), the opening weekend of the Sundance Film F.?

PSA: Brighton was offering ski free package with lodging booking for next few weeks.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, @BobMc , Are you talking about this coming weekend(MLK), or the following (when I’m coming), the opening weekend of the Sundance Film F.?

PSA: Brighton was offering ski free package with lodging booking for next few weeks.
NEXT weekend--stay tuned. The forecast is looking interesting for mid-week next week.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think I might pony up and get the lodging at Brighton. Saves some drive time too. Powder Mountain is still iffy, where-as in Big Cottonwood between the two resorts, there should be way more than two days worth of skiing, even if its still a bit low.

Do you guys think there’s enough snow in the side/backcountry of BCC to warrant paying for aday of guided backcountry skiing?

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Backcountry conditions are VERY sketchy right now.

Sponsor

Staff online