• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big posse: huh?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious: I skied Killington this week for the first time in awhile and had an interesting experience. Lots of BIG groups skiing together -- like 10-14 people. Saw them standing at stopping places, then all taking off together. Groups of snowboarders, skiers alike. I actually had to modulate my own rest stops to avoid the traffic created. I'm used to seeing groups of maybe 4-6 people, but what stood out was how many groups were so big. Is this a Killington thing? A new normal? Just a one-off? Anyone have insight?

I also saw an instructor with a class of 13(!), but I assumed that was b/c of Covid-related staff shortage.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just curious: I skied Killington this week for the first time in awhile and had an interesting experience. Lots of BIG groups skiing together -- like 10-14 people. Saw them standing at stopping places, then all taking off together. Groups of snowboarders, skiers alike. I actually had to modulate my own rest stops to avoid the traffic created. I'm used to seeing groups of maybe 4-6 people, but what stood out was how many groups were so big. Is this a Killington thing? A new normal? Just a one-off? Anyone have insight?

I also saw an instructor with a class of 13(!), but I assumed that was b/c of Covid-related staff shortage.
And they probably complained all day with how bad the crowd was on the slopes. ;) "Where ever I went the slope was packed!!" :roflmao:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There was at least one PSIA workshop kinda thing there.

I was there this past week with a posse of 15 :ogbiggrin: And sometimes we all skied together. Too bad I didn't know you were there, you could of joined in the fun.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier

My friends from PA took intermediate group lessons on Wednesday, which was cold but not like today, and ended up with two privates because no else showed up.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My friends from PA took intermediate group lessons on Wednesday, which was cold but not like today, and ended up with two privates because no else showed up.

Wednesday was the best day; -7f, no wind, nobody showed up-too cold, loud squeaky snow.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was at least one PSIA workshop kinda thing there.

I was there this past week with a posse of 15 :ogbiggrin: And sometimes we all skied together. Too bad I didn't know you were there, you could of joined in the fun.
I did see a few PSIA badges on jackets in the lift lines.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Yesterday at Bachelor it was somewhat busy and the 5 of us would wait between the herds of 20 or more to ski a run till we caught them then stop. An advanced skier could navigate the moving objects but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We see this a lot at on snow trade show demos, a lot of good (and not so good) skiers skiing very fast in groups many times on mountains they are not completely familiar with and it is a bit disconcerting. I have my head on a swivel even more here than ever.