• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Big Skier ski recommendations

mnherky

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I'm 6'6" 275 and 48 years old. In the last 4-5 years I've got back into skiing after a bad knee injury in 1995 (long time off). When I first got back into skiing it was mostly to go with my kids and spent most of my time following them down blue and green runs in the Midwest. Since then they have both got older and better to the point where I'm having to push harder to keep up.

I would say I'm a solid intermediate skier but feel like my skis are holding me back. My current skis are a pair of 2018 185 QST 85's. When I was going slower with the kids they were fine but now that I'm trying to push a bit more and ski steeper terrain I feel like I'm maxing out the flex on these and I might do better on something bigger and stiffer.

I'm looking at a pair of 191 Enforcer 94's. Everything I read about the skis say that they are for someone above my level but with my size I'm thinking they might be fine.

I ski 15-20 days in Minnesota and will take at least 2 trips out west to Montana this year. I mostly stick to groomers.

Thanks for any help.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to SkiTalk!

I would say at a solid intermediate level you're fine jumping to something that might be biased more advanced, especially, as you say, at your weight. The Enforcers are very well regarded. There might be other options too... perhaps @Drahtguy Kevin or @DoryBreaux would have a recommendation.

I would also add, that if you're not sure your skis are the problem, a lesson or two can be super helpful and might yield different recommendations too.

fundad77

Aspiring Ski Bum
Skier
If you are sticking to mostly groomers, 88 or lower is best. The Enforcers are great but I would not recommend for an intermediate. Try the K2 Mindbenders 89Ti in 188, the Head KORE 87 in 191, or maybe the Blizzard Brahma in 189 which is a little burlier than the first two but should still be easily managed by an intermediate skier.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Welcome! I am also a tall skier but a bit lighter than you at 6'6" and 220 lb. I dropped a lot of weight once I started skiing. I have found it easy to overpower many skis that I have demoed unless they are on the stiffer side, but I would caution from going too stiff for the sake of learning to carve. Carving is good if you are sticking to groomers! Lessons as well, they helped me immensely. I would recommend staying away from anything wider than 88 mm until you get your legs back, especially if you have a bad knee. Wider than 88 can start to put too much strain on your knees when you get them up on edge during carving.

In fact, a lot of recent advanced releases in the all mountain category have dropped to 86, such as the Rossignol Experience 86 Ti, Fischer RC One GT 86, and Elan Wingman 86 CTi. All of these lines also have an 82, but you might overpower those. The Fischer won a lot of awards the year it was first released and should fit your requirements if you are sticking to groomers in Michigan and out west as it is oriented a bit more to the frontside, but it's probably the stiffest of the lot. The Rossi is newer and a little more suited to ungroomed. The Elans have a lot of fans here. I have not demoed any of these yet as I have been skiing a Dynastar Legend 88 the past few years and have the new M-Pro 90 for the coming season. These are more oriented to ungroomed, but still carve well enough, but are probably too wide for your normal conditions. A lot of folks here will tell you 86 is too wide for you, but they have never been as tall or heavy as we are. Calling @ScottB for more experience as a big skier.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm a bigger skier. I never know quite how to answer these questions as personal philosophy also comes into it but I've just bought a 94mm ski as my skinny all rounder. Mind you my philosophy is having fun rather than full charge all the time.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I second what @Marker has posted. Your Enforcer would be a good choice, I would say be cautious going with a 190+ ski unless its has significant rocker and skis short. A fairly stiff ski in 183-187 cm should be about right for you. I have a Gen 2 Brahma in 187cm and it skis long. The Gen 3 Braham comes in 183 and 189 now, and I would advice the 183 for you. I am an expert and I might not choose the 189. The enforcer 94 comes in a 186 cm and 191, I would advise the 186 cm length. When you get 190+ cm the turn radius gets long and you can struggle to do tight turns in tight spots. In a powder ski, its fine to go 190+.

The new Volkl Kendo (Brahama, Enforcer like ski) is getting really good reviews and that would be another good choice in 184 cm. The Volkl M6 is also worth looking at as a more carving ski.

TS
M

mnherky

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the suggestions. I did some more reading and I agree that sticking to something 88 or below is a good idea. Thanks @Marker, I'll look at some of your suggestions. Just need the weather to cooperate it's 70 here today :(

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So I'm 6'6" 275 and 48 years old. In the last 4-5 years I've got back into skiing after a bad knee injury in 1995 (long time off). When I first got back into skiing it was mostly to go with my kids and spent most of my time following them down blue and green runs in the Midwest. Since then they have both got older and better to the point where I'm having to push harder to keep up.

I would say I'm a solid intermediate skier but feel like my skis are holding me back. My current skis are a pair of 2018 185 QST 85's. When I was going slower with the kids they were fine but now that I'm trying to push a bit more and ski steeper terrain I feel like I'm maxing out the flex on these and I might do better on something bigger and stiffer.

I'm looking at a pair of 191 Enforcer 94's. Everything I read about the skis say that they are for someone above my level but with my size I'm thinking they might be fine.

I ski 15-20 days in Minnesota and will take at least 2 trips out west to Montana this year. I mostly stick to groomers.

Thanks for any help.

I think you will like the Head Kore 93's in 184cm's. They are light weight but very stiff so they will support you well but still be easy to turn and carry around. Super versatile skis that you will love even in some resort powder. I own the 99's in 184cm's but they might just be too much ski for most days for you. I demoed the 93's and would not mind to have those as my daily drivers as well. Loved them.

blue

Putting on skis
Skier

Thanks for any help.
I think 191 enforcer 94 will serve you well. If you worry about knee injuries, the new protector bindings from Head/Tyrolia might be an option. Joe’s sporting goods carries both enforcer 94 and protector bindings.