• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
One of my favorite runs from visiting 2 years ago was "Wounded Knee". Looks like the name changed to "Spotted Elk". I'm curious if the resort thought skiers would avoid a run named "Wounded knee" or if they are sensitive to our First Nation Americans. Never know these days...
Both

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Current views from Andesite.

New Ram Charger top station

New Ram Charger Top Station.jpg

The Spanish Peaks 600 bed hotel excavation below Southern Comfort lift.
Spanish Peaks Hotel.jpg

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Dunno how they're going to hide that chair barn . . .

Should have built a restaurant on top of it.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Noticed this on the Ramcharger updates on Big Sky site - mostly known but a couple fresher tidbits.

Long-term plans for capital improvements, detailed in the Big Sky 2025 vision, include upgrades to the Swift Current lift from a high-speed quad to the latest and most appropriate capacity lift. Ultimately, the existing Swift Current chair is planned to be relocated to the Moonlight side of Big Sky Resort to support terrain expansion efforts in that area. Planned improvements also include the transformation of the Explorer lift experience from a double lift to a gondola extending to the Bowl to further improve skier access from the Mountain Village base area.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Lift Blog had a nice article on new lifts at BS last week. Also explained managements plans for the gondola, swifty and moonlight expansions. Lots of folks have second guessed Boyne’s Expansion plans but sounds to me like the next few years will be good for BS.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lift Blog had a nice article on new lifts at BS last week.

On a recent hike I saw survey markers and tapes in the trees on Flat Iron. At first I thought it was for a new glade, but saw the markers were labeled for towers. A new lift from the Spanish peaks Hotel not mentioned in the BS development plan?

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
On a recent hike I saw survey markers and tapes in the trees on Flat Iron. At first I thought it was for a new glade, but saw the markers were labeled for towers. A new lift from the Spanish peaks Hotel not mentioned in the BS development plan?

Probably a real estate access lift . . . anyway, Liftblog slipped this into one of its news roundups. Check the link to the designs in the second set of bullets https://liftblog.com/2018/10/05/news-roundup-98/ Not sure if you were seeing Flatirons lift of Highlands lift. Though it looks like hotel will be right at the base of the Lewis and Clark lift.

Because you're local you can also go into the Big Sky Real Estate "store" down in the new meadows area development and see these maps full size. Saw them last Spring and they're pretty ambitious, especially for Moonlight.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks for sharing the link. based on today's hike the lift line has now been clear cut and I am guessing the lift line pictured is for the Highlands Lift. This may change a fun mtb trail to the eastward of Little Dogie, but opens up a new approach to Grizzly if you cut north at the right spot..

new Lift Line Flat Iron Oct 2018.JPG

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
I was looking at the webcams this morning so see how much snow they got yesterday and noticed some construction equipment at Madison base. Any idea what they are doing there?

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Question for those who have done the advanced purchase lift ticket thing (in past years they've been included with hotels - seems like not so much anymore)

For multiday tickets it says you get one "off" day. The pricing for, say, a 3-day ticket is cheaper if you start on Thursday instead of Friday. If I plan to ski Friday, Saturday, Sunday any reason I shouldn't just buy the ticket starting Thursday? I suppose the pricing is set with assumption Monday is a more valuable day (over long weekend) than Thursday but doesn't much matter to me as I'm not skiing either of those days.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
Question for those who have done the advanced purchase lift ticket thing (in past years they've been included with hotels - seems like not so much anymore)

For multiday tickets it says you get one "off" day. The pricing for, say, a 3-day ticket is cheaper if you start on Thursday instead of Friday. If I plan to ski Friday, Saturday, Sunday any reason I shouldn't just buy the ticket starting Thursday? I suppose the pricing is set with assumption Monday is a more valuable day (over long weekend) than Thursday but doesn't much matter to me as I'm not skiing either of those days.

That's clever! I like it.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
If I plan to ski Friday, Saturday, Sunday any reason I shouldn't just buy the ticket starting Thursday?

You're right.
Most (all ?) larger ski area now have pricing similar to airlines. Big Sky offers early purchase discounts plus the variable day pricing you refer to. If you know when you're going and don't buy ahead on-line you're wasting money. The ski are benefits from your early commitment. You benefit from the lower price, with the risk that you may have a last minute change of plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid