• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
So say you did everything right, and got in line as early as possible, what's the earliest someone could be at the top of the mountain via the tram? 10:00am? It's possible to do what, 3 laps in a day with the lines, maybe 4?

You could probably do it earlier - if you're first chair up Swifty, over to PowderSeeker, and then to tram, you'd be in Tram line by 9:15/20. Obviously if you're a bit further back in the line at the base you may be a few tram cars behind. But not everyone going up Swifty at 9 is headed to the Tram.

ejj

Prairie Skier
Skier
You could probably do it earlier - if you're first chair up Swifty, over to PowderSeeker, and then to tram, you'd be in Tram line by 9:15/20. Obviously if you're a bit further back in the line at the base you may be a few tram cars behind. But not everyone going up Swifty at 9 is headed to the Tram.

This is really the best way to ski the tram. We get in line early for Swifty, and then race to PS and wait, and then race to the Tram and wait. Once you are up, head to the Patrol Shack and sign up for access. If you don't need access, follow the signs for Marx/Lenin.

I'm pretty bummed about NSS. That is actually my favorite terrain at BS.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is really the best way to ski the tram. We get in line early for Swifty, and then race to PS and wait, and then race to the Tram and wait. Once you are up, head to the Patrol Shack and sign up for access. If you don't need access, follow the signs for Marx/Lenin.

I'm pretty bummed about NSS. That is actually my favorite terrain at BS.

Skiing from the tram down at Big Sky is one of my main skiing 'bucket list' items I have left to achieve. It's just got to happen. We were supposed to go to Big Sky last year but literally had to turn the car around 100 miles into Montana due to them shutting down due to Covid.

My goal is to get back there in the next 2 years.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing from the tram down at Big Sky is one of my main skiing 'bucket list' items I have left to achieve. It's just got to happen. We were supposed to go to Big Sky last year but literally had to turn the car around 100 miles into Montana due to them shutting down due to Covid.

My goal is to get back there in the next 2 years.
If you wait a little longer you could come to a Big Sky Gathering! (tentatively in 2024)

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
So say you did everything right, and got in line as early as possible, what's the earliest someone could be at the top of the mountain via the tram? 10:00am? It's possible to do what, 3 laps in a day with the lines, maybe 4?

We had a guide a few weeks ago, and did 4-5 tram laps/day, in addition to a ton of other skiing. We did Lenin, Marx, Liberty, Dictators 1-3, and the Big (everything that was open other than the Gullies). When not having "back stairway" access, I think I've done two laps once in my life. The wait just eats up too much of your ski day otherwise.

Tom351

Putting on skis
Skier
How has the line been on Six Shooter? I am skiing two days, and want to check out that area, but not if it means a long wait at loading.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
How has the line been on Six Shooter? I am skiing two days, and want to check out that area, but not if it means a long wait at loading.

I don't know how it is this year, but the worst I've seen it is about 10 minutes (but haven't been there first chair), and usually less.

But definitely a lift/area that could use some extra uphill capacity (or at least a lift up towards Lone Tree lift to access that part of the mountain directly).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Assuming you then go up Lone Tree, that's a great area if the snow is good. My perception is colored by the great snow we had, but the runs off the ridge like Single Jack and Double Jack were great.

Tom351

Putting on skis
Skier
Yes, I like the options that Lone Tree adds from Six Shooter...so what is the best way to get from the Main base to Lone Tree (I guess this means Six Shooter first)? To me it looks like Challenger up to Moonlight and try to stay as skier left as possible?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man that's a lot of the ski day for 1 run....

I was there with friends last week, and we wanted to hit the tram our last day. It wasn't open yet, but I waited in line about 15-20 min before I decided to bail. We were going to be an hour out (only because people ahead of us were bailing too), and I could see the wind whipping up top. It didn't look that great. As I left the maze, they announced the opening of the tram but also that only Liberty Bowl would be open. I felt I was making the right choice -- which was confirmed, as my two friends who stayed in line said their run down the bowl was perhaps one of the worst runs of their lives! :roflmao:

Anyway, funny part was that I skied all the way to the bottom, went to the bathroom, rode back up and traversed over to Shedhorn, skied that, and rode up Dakota just exactly in time to run into my friends as they finished their bowl lap. As in, within 10 sec. Could never have planned that in a million years.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yes, I like the options that Lone Tree adds from Six Shooter...so what is the best way to get from the Main base to Lone Tree (I guess this means Six Shooter first)? To me it looks like Challenger up to Moonlight and try to stay as skier left as possible?

Either Swifty-->Iron Horse-->Six Shooter-->Lone Tree
or
Swifty/Explorer-->Challenger-->Lone Tree (though for this, as I haven't done it, not sure if you can get left enough to where you don't need to go a bit uphill at Six Shooter, unless of course you go headwaters - Moonlight and Midnight come out below Six Shooter IIRC).

The problem with Lone Tree is that there are only a couple of runs that get you back to Lone Tree. Most take you down to Six Shooter, so it's rinse/repeat the Six Shooter-Lone Tree circuit. (But there's plenty of fun to be had down the various other runs from Lone Tree - definitely worth part of a day to go over to Moonlight and check it out).

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To lone tree from the base take swifty to challenger, skiers left down moonlight / midnight into comet. Miss comet and your back to challenger or iron horse.
Iron Horse is a sleeper with a few good unnamed tree runs hidden in plane sight. Dead wood, core shot :ogbiggrin: and others, just look for the tracks into the gullies between bad dog and dog wood.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any one else seeing goats dotted around the Headwaters & Stillwater bowls lately? Terrible picture (I need a telephoto lens) but a nanny and kid goat grazing just below the snow fences above the Lone Tree unload.
Lone Tree Goats.jpg

"Peaches" the billy goat grazing below Outer Limits above the Headwaters Bowl.
Head Waters Goat.jpg

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
To lone tree from the base take swifty to challenger, skiers left down moonlight / midnight into comet. Miss comet and your back to challenger or iron horse.
Iron Horse is a sleeper with a few good unnamed tree runs hidden in plane sight. Dead wood, core shot :ogbiggrin: and others, just look for the tracks into the gullies between bad dog and dog wood.

So I'm thinking not what this family did..

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Covid protocols have reduced lift capacity significantly.
Lines have been looong on weekends at six shooter this season.
Swifty lines are looong too.
Dakota is down and closed for the season. It will be replaced this summer. That’s at least two lift projects for 2021.
Conditions were great last week. Spring like this week. Winter returns next week. Predicting mid March weather is a fool’s errand.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January