• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Curious -- what is the threshold for number of skiers per day that BS can officially handle before they would have to turn folks away?

I believe their max # of customers ever is around 8000, which has happened post-Christmas the last couple of years. I'm not sure they've gotten close to that at any other time. That got a little crowded at the base lifts, which is about the only time I've seen meaningful lift lines, outside openings on powder days and when lifts break.

So, while I have zero clue of what their answer would be, I would guess somewhere around 75-80% of that number would keep things more comfortable.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
In other Big Sky news the other half of the bridge deck on Lone Mountain Trail (the access road) has finally been poured. That bridge has been one lane all summer and getting both lanes back will add to the driving pleasure of our winter guests.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
@liftblog has some more pictures of the Swifty top station and chair barn (at least footings for the towers to hold them in.

https://liftblog.com/2020/10/23/news-roundup-200/ (last entry).

I'm hoping they aren't going to pour a bunch more concrete for chair barn walls (though suspect they will) - it's a pretty monstrous structure there. Maybe they can use some wood and make it more attractive.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tough start to early season skiing in MT. Condolences to the family and best wishes to the rescue team.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
Website shows opening thanksgiving day but watching a steady stream of folks riding up the 8 pack chair (socially distanced of course) and skiing down the run under the lift.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The mountain has been open all week for race training only, we open to the public on thanksgiving.

Just as well, there is no natural snow to speak of and none in the forecast. Very little snow is being made dispite nights in the single digits, perhaps a water shortage like steamboat ? YC is full on with snowmaking at the moment, so doubt it’s that.

It better come quick, I’m told most if not all accommodations are sold out for the Christmas week and inbound flights are mostly full.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
It better come quick, I’m told most if not all accommodations are sold out for the Christmas week and inbound flights are mostly full.

Good lord . . . I really want to be able to ski this year, but that's exactly the recipe for disaster. I'm confident Big Sky will do what it can to prevent spread, but there's something about full lodging, restaurants, etc., and people saying "what the heck" that makes me predict a mess 1-2 weeks later.

Probably a (particularly) good year to be living near the slopes . . . ski when it's empty, without the need for a hotel, and eat at home.

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw this video posted by Big Sky on Instagram. We are planning what I will refer to as a "very responsible" trip up there in that it's a 5 hour drive for us and we are planning to book a cabin that has an on-site restaurant. We'll hole up in the cabin, get food to take back to the cabin, and ski for two days at a place that I have been really wanting to visit for a long time. I must admit, flying to ski right now, yikes. If either one of us feels ill, we'll jump in the car and drive home. We're planning to add a couple days at Targhee, too, which is a favorite destination of ours.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It'll be interesting to see what Boyne, Gallatin Co, and/or the state does in reaction to the positive numbers over the next few months, especially those 5-12 days after each holiday.
I have a dear friend who lives in Whitefish. If I read correctly, Montana's positive test rate is hovering near 90%??!!
Ironically, I'd still feel safer heading up there and holing up in a cabin and riding a ski lift than I do going to Costco here in Utah.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If I read correctly, Montana's positive test rate is hovering near 90%??!!
I'm not sure what you're reading, but that's not possible, given how every state seems to be testing and reporting. I just pulled the county data for Montana from their COVID page (actually it includes all states as it turns out), and the positivity rates are very high, but most are in the 25-30% range, especially for the larger population areas. These are over the last 2 weeks, and the highest is 62.2%, but for a very sparesly populated area.

Flathead County is at 37.2% over the last 2 weeks.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lift tix for thanksgiving and Christmas weeks are already sold out !
If your coming this year you better make reservations.

@AmyPJ - shot me a PM closer to your dates, as I have suggested to others who are planning the trip this winter, we will be able to advise as best as possible on local intel.

No worries here, we’ve been socially distancing for years.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm not sure what you're reading, but that's not possible, given how every state seems to be testing and reporting. I just pulled the county data for Montana from their COVID page (actually it includes all states as it turns out), and the positivity rates are very high, but most are in the 25-30% range, especially for the larger population areas. These are over the last 2 weeks, and the highest is 62.2%, but for a very sparesly populated area.

Yeah . . . here's one data set. Changes, but more in that range

Also, keep in mind that test positivity rate isn't necessarily a best measure because it depends on who takes the test, which depends on availability. You're probably not going to drive 50 miles for a test if you're not feeling symptoms.

Anyway, probably drifting off . . . seems like the real challenge for BS (and anywhere) is a lot of visitors descending on (limited) indoor spaces. I suspect the resort can sort of control things, but the hotels (both resort owned and otherwise) and restaurants are going to pose a serious challenge.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

I saw it last week, and can't remember what site. It was an interactive map, so it might have been a specific county. I remember that Wyoming had similar numbers--maybe it was 90% increase in cases, and I misread it.

Lift tix for thanksgiving and Christmas weeks are already sold out !
If your coming this year you better make reservations.

@AmyPJ - shot me a PM closer to your dates, as I have suggested to others who are planning the trip this winter, we will be able to advise as best as possible on local intel.

No worries here, we’ve been socially distancing for years.
Thanks so much! Staying in Gallatin area--320 Guest Ranch which hopefully will help us lie low. My husband has skied there but it's been several years. Advice on avoiding crowds will be most welcome.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
320 for the win ! That place is sweet and just down a bit from the access road.
If it’s been more than a year or two since being here, he will hardly recognize the place

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
320 for the win ! That place is sweet and just down a bit from the access road.
If it’s been more than a year or two since being here, he will hardly recognize the place
So I did well with reserving a cabin there? I knew Big Sky village would be too expensive, and Bozeman was farther away than we want to be. I love staying in cabins anyway. The on-site restaurant and breakfast included is a huge bonus. Crossing fingers that we can actually go.

Husband says I will LOVE the glades and long-wide open groomers there that aren't super steep. Him? He's already plotting the tram.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Husband says I will LOVE the glades
I would think so depending on what you're looking for. I didn't get any pics in the tighter ones (and didn't ski them much), but there are some great wider open ones... and we had great conditions.

Single Jack
Big Sky Gathering 030219 177 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Either Pomp or Lizette
Big Sky Gathering 030219 239 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Congo Line
Big Sky Gathering 030219 253 DC ACR Conv.jpg

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
There's a CMS database on positivity by county here: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/...guT2fg2V3EJ2HYQ7TA_DogcP-rQiNlo2ZMif9HhLaeMA$

Screenshot_20201123-175238_WPS Office.jpg

Notes on above:
Test Positivity Classification: Counties with test percent positivity <5.0% or with <20 tests in past 14 days: Green; test percent positivity ≥5.0% to ≤10.0% or with <500 tests and <2000 tests/100k and >10% positivity over 14 days: Yellow; >10.0% and not meeting the criteria for “Green” or “Yellow”: Red. Gray represents no data reported. Test positivity is rounded to the nearest tenth of a percent before classifying.
Percent Positive and Tests in prior 14 days: Data from November 5-November 18
Data Sources: Testing data: HHS Unified Testing Dataset; Population data: 2019 Census
Documentation: The data presented represent viral COVID-19 laboratory diagnostic and screening test (reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction, RT-PCR) results and exclude antibody and antigen tests. COVID-19 Electronic Lab Reporting (CELR) state health department-reported data are used to describe county-level viral COVID-19 laboratory test (RT-PCR) result totals when information is available on patients’ county of residence or healthcare providers’ practice location. HHS Protect laboratory data (provided directly to Federal Government from public health labs, hospital labs, and commercial labs) are used otherwise. Some states did not report on certain days, which may affect the total number of tests resulted and positivity rate values. Total viral (RT-PCR) laboratory tests are the number of tests performed, not the number of individuals tested. Viral (RT-PCR) laboratory test positivity rate is the number of positive tests divided by the total number of tests performed and resulted. Resulted tests are assigned to a timeframe based on this hierarchy of test-related dates: 1. test date; 2. result date; 3. specimen received date; 4. specimen collection date. Resulted tests are assigned to a county based on a hierarchy of test-related locations: 1. patient residency; 2. provider facility location; 3. ordering facility location; 4. performing organization location.

Last edited:

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
I’m not a st
So I did well with reserving a cabin there? I knew Big Sky village would be too expensive, and Bozeman was farther away than we want to be. I love staying in cabins anyway. The on-site restaurant and breakfast included is a huge bonus. Crossing fingers that we can actually go.

Husband says I will LOVE the glades and long-wide open groomers there that aren't super steep. Him? He's already plotting the tram.
I’m not a steeps fan and find the glades at Big Sky and Moonlight really fun - although in early season (Dec) I’ve been skunked. There will be plenty to entertain you!

Sponsor

Staff online