• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Got some nice conditions there @dbostedo !

Definitely can be hit or miss in glades because of the need for snow. They can get scraped off quickly. Big Sky has definitely increased the glade skiing in recent years, especially for lower skill level folks - intermediate (and barely) with some tree clearing. Pomp and Lizette on Andesite definitely fit that bill. And of course if you want more challenges you'll find glades all over the place.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks so much! Staying in Gallatin area--320 Guest Ranch which hopefully will help us lie low.
The 320 should be perfect for laying "low", the restaurant is pretty good and there are a number of riding and hiking trails right from the property should you want to go snowshoeing. On most winter Sunday afternoons there is skijoring at the 320 which is fun to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The 320 should be perfect for laying "low", the restaurant is pretty good and there are a number of riding and hiking trails right from the property should you want to go snowshoeing. On most winter Sunday afternoons there is skijoring at the 320 which is fun to watch.
This is great to know! I might want to stay there longer, who knows!

Last edited by a moderator:

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone got any info on Big Sky’s reservation system for Ikon Pass,
I just looked, and the entire week of Presidents’ Day is ”all reservations booked”. That is inclusive the weekend itself, the weekdays after, and even the following weekend.
Based in my experience sking that week in much busier resorts for the last 5 years, I have a hard time believing it is full up all those days.
Especially given Big Sky’s reputation for being a quiet mountain.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Has anyone got any info on Big Sky’s reservation system for Ikon Pass,
I just looked, and the entire week of Presidents’ Day is ”all reservations booked”. That is inclusive the weekend itself, the weekdays after, and even the following weekend.
Based in my experience sking that week in much busier resorts for the last 5 years, I have a hard time believing it is full up all those days.
Especially given Big Sky’s reputation for being a quiet mountain.
According to their Website they have yet to launch the Ikon and Mountain Collective reservation system. In other parts of their website they also indicate that Ikon and Mountain Collective passholders may not need to reserve tickets, but will need to notify the mountain when they intend to ski. All in all my take is that they have not decided how to handle this yet. Ditto for those with Boyne reciprocal privileges.

Currently the link to the Ikon Pass reservations page is not working, but they do have lift tickets for sale on those days.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
According to their Website they have yet to launch the Ikon and Mountain Collective reservation system. In other parts of their website they also indicate that Ikon and Mountain Collective passholders may not need to reserve tickets, but will need to notify the mountain when they intend to ski. All in all my take is that they have not decided how to handle this yet. Ditto for those with Boyne reciprocal privileges.

Currently the link to the Ikon Pass reservations page is not working, but they do have lift tickets for sale on those days.
Boy, I'd better keep an eye on their MCP policy, since I already have reservations for the cabins.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Not sure where you're seeing that. Here's what I see :

"I have an Ikon Pass for this winter. Do I need to make a reservation to access the mountain?

Ikon Passholders can ski when their passes permit access, but must utilize their independent reservation system to let us know when they plan to visit. If we need to address volume, there may be a limit on how many Ikon passholders can access the mountain during specific days of the season.

When can I start making a reservation with my Ikon Pass?

Please go to account.ikonpass.com to make your reservation."

The Ikon page is taking reservations for Big Sky just like the other participating resorts.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Please go to account.ikonpass.com to make your reservation."

Yes, that is what it says, but at least in my account there is no option to do so. The "make a reservation" link takes me to a page that only allows me to choose Steamboat. Maybe others have a different set of options, but I don't. I should probably check since it would suck to get there this winter and be shut out of skiing.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, that is what it says, but at least in my account there is no option to do so. The "make a reservation" link takes me to a page that only allows me to choose Steamboat. Maybe others have a different set of options, but I don't. I should probably check since it would suck to get there this winter and be shut out of skiing.
Something's wrong on your account then... are you logged in? Here's what I see, step by step, on a PC (not sure if you can do this in the app; I couldn't see how to do it).

1. On my account page, I click "Make a Reservation" and I see this:

1606695838322.png

If I scroll down a little, I see Big Sky... when I click on Big Sky I see this:

1606695901749.png

If I click on the "CONTINUE" button, I see this (I've scrolled the calendar to February - it starts in November):

1606695999506.png

You'll notice that President's Day week is greyed out for being full, as is the first week of February, as I already have reservations at Taos that week. February 28th is greyed out because I have an Aspen reservation. Strangely, February 26th is also greyed out, and not available for some unknown reason... In any case, if I click any of the available dates, I see this:

1606696086401.png

From there I could save it, and pick other days if I wanted. If you're not seeing he big list of resorts to pick from, I'd give Ikon a call.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I also have a cabin booked at Big Sky for president's day weekend so I called them today to get the latest. Here is what they told me:
  • Mountain Collective Pass - no restrictions or reservations required, just go to the main ticket window when you arrive
  • Boyne Benefits - no restrictions or reservations required, just go to the main ticket window when you arrive
  • If you book your accommodation through Big Sky Resort they guarantee that you will be able to ski though you may have to buy the tickets if there is not Ikon pass availability
They also let me know that if you book accommodation with them and your state imposes travel restrictions they will wave the cancelation fee.

So fingers crossed for Big Sky Feb 10-15. My only challenge now is that Delta canceled their direct route from Seattle to Bozeman so we may end up driving as opposed to taking a connecting flight through SLC.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If you book your accommodation through Big Sky Resort they guarantee that you will be able to ski though you may have to buy the tickets if there is not Ikon pass availability
Seems like if I book accomodation through them, and have an Ikon Pass, they should just give me the day tickets if the Ikon pass allotment if full, and consider those day tickets sold. Or up the Ikon reservation allotment separately for just those who booked lodging through Big Sky. Since they're OK with me skiing from a capacity standpoint, it seems awfully crappy to try to make me pay again, when I've already paid via Ikon. (Of course, there may be Ikon considerations there too that Big Sky would have to work out and Ikon/Alterra would have to play ball. Otherwise they aren't seeing income from me being an Ikon holder.)

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Something's wrong on your account then

I'm guessing it is because Steamboat uses the IKON as the season pass or because I signed up for first tracks. I don't get any options in the drop=down except Steamboat. I guess I'll have to contact IKON...

Thanks for looking at it though...

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ ,

I was also looking at the 320 Ranch! My girls love horses, so they would think that’s cool, and we want to do some Backcountry skiing in Yellowstone also, so being close to there seems great.
Could you let me know how it works out? The drive and parking at the resort each day?

FYI, for the the people mentioning snowshoeing there, know that it is Avalanche terrain. Here is a map. Everything yellow or red is steep enough to slide. That means everything below the colored bits is avalanche terrain too. So all the summer hiking trails:
4DCE0F55-63A0-4E5C-A6F4-447E59F8C8F5.jpeg

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@AmyPJ ,

I was also looking at the 320 Ranch! My girls love horses, so they would think that’s cool, and we want to do some backoutry skiing in Yellowstone also, so being close to there seems great.
Could you let me know how it works out? The drive and parking at the resort each day?

FYI, for the the people mentioning snowshoeing there, know that it is Avalanche terrain. Here is a map. Everything yellow or red is steep enough to slide. That means everything below the colored bits is avalanche terrain too. So all the summer hiking trails:
View attachment 116380
Absolutely will let you know how the ranch is.

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
Was able to snag a few reservations at Big Sky this weekend. Snow is a bit thin in spots but considering how much they have had they have a fair amount of the mountain open. Things sound a lot better here than at Bridger. Anyway was just great to finally be back out on the mountain.

bigsky4.jpg bigsky2.jpg

PlainsSkier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I do have to say that Big Sky was very big into mask enforcement, most lifts had a person dedicated to watching to see if people had masks, if they had them on properly and if they had the right mask on....a few people had masks with holes in them and were given surigcal masks.

They were loosely monitoring traffic indoors as well but I do think they are following state guidelines for eating inside which means it was allowed at I think a 50% capacity. The outdoor pools were also open at the hotels which was interesting, the hot tubs were a proceed at your own risk kind of thing. If you never go inside it is a very low risk environment.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Supporting the local Warren Miller performing arts center and the performing arts was the theme of this afternoon.

A socially distanced concert was rather surreal and a sensory overload with the glistening snow, your choice of snow shoes or cross country ski‘s while listening via Bluetooth head sets handed out to listen to the classical pieces performed from a 1900s era Steinway.

045850F3-F862-484C-80D8-95FCDB2C2C2B.jpeg