• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Right now it is 30 days and a 10% cancelation fee, but they said if Covid continues they will extend their summer policy which is 7 days and no cancelation fee. They also told me if I cannot ski they would let me cancel. Do not have any of this in writing but they are booking up quickly so decided to grab a sweet deal while they are still available and spin the wheel on everything else.

I'll say that they've been accommodating generally in the past, without COVID. One year our flight from Washington was cancelled because of snow here. It was a holiday weekend, so the airline offered to rebook us from Friday to Monday (or something). We called Friday morning and they let us fully cancel and rebook for later in the winter. We confronted a similar situation again a year or two later, and they told us we could roll over money to the following year, though as it turned out we were able to rebook our flight for the same day.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I'll say that they've been accommodating generally in the past, without COVID. One year our flight from Washington was cancelled because of snow here. It was a holiday weekend, so the airline offered to rebook us from Friday to Monday (or something). We called Friday morning and they let us fully cancel and rebook for later in the winter. We confronted a similar situation again a year or two later, and they told us we could roll over money to the following year, though as it turned out we were able to rebook our flight for the same day.
I find Boyne to be very customer focused and they seem to always do the right thing to ensure a great experience, hence I am willing to take the risk. Agree should something go sideways I am sure they will be great. Now Vail on the other hand ......

Tiki

The Pirate’s Daughter
Skier
Big Sky has only verbalized these promises, not put them in writing yet. Those with Boyne lodging should get some priority, but who knows. Even property owners on mountain haven’t received guaranteed access. We wait patiently!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Last day of lift serviced biking for the season today coupled with a thick layer of good old west coast smoke.
Got several laps on the new flow trail happy hooves off of swifty. Lift work has left a ton of brush to dispose of before opening from early SC6 work now being done over 2 years rather than 1. Thinking they might just have to close off those trails affected with the debris.
More importantly the top terminal concrete looks great.

9ED4A827-45F0-46D7-A6CC-1D477FA3FD8F.jpeg
D9307614-0537-4992-85EF-F2C03F062466.jpeg

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Is that the terrain park in the upper photo? Looks like they could drag it to the side - not sure what usual practice is. I suppose a controlled burn isn’t going to happen.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You are correct - It is the terrain park !
To the lookers right there were dozers sculpting a new trail today, Sunday.
If you zoom in you’ll see the brush piles go all the way the way to the top terminal.

Really hoping to see a large commercial tub grinder arrive soon, that would make quick work of it. I completely agree that a control burn is off the table with the current red fire warnings.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
So where the brush is is the new lift line (or will be)? I guess that means a new Mardi-bra tree will have to get started . . .

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
You are correct - It is the terrain park !
To the lookers right there were dozers sculpting a new trail today, Sunday.
If you zoom in you’ll see the brush piles go all the way the way to the top terminal.

Really hoping to see a large commercial tub grinder arrive soon, that would make quick work of it. I completely agree that a control burn is off the table with the current red fire warnings.
They will probably get a reasonable weather window to burn in October/November, right?

Still good to see them doing work that should create more wiggle room for a tight schedule next summer.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@skidrew - the brush piles appear to be right in the path of the new lift, the top
terminal looks looks to be right in the middle of the calamity Jane trail.
@sparty - what needs to show up is one of these Morbark tub grinders, 1200 hp with a 20 yard tub. Having seen one of these in action I can say they are scary powerful. Imagine dropping a full size SUV in the tub and watching it come out like confetti in a few seconds.
F16F0AAC-87BA-4050-9E7E-B990A30A7952.jpeg

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
They will probably get a reasonable weather window to burn in October/November, right?

Typically Big Sky burns slash piles if conditions are favorable. Burning is how the slash was removed on Pomp and Lizette. October should be safe for burning with some more rain or snow. I would like to see that 1200 HP machine in action though.

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Typically Big Sky burns slash piles if conditions are favorable. Burning is how the slash was removed on Pomp and Lizette. October should be safe for burning with some more rain or snow. I would like to see that 1200 HP machine in action though.

+1. Especially with SUVs going in.:D

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
Cliff Notes:

Mask requirements, no singles lines and perhaps a boot pack up to the Yeti Traverse from the top of Dakota.

And for the folks asking about lodging/ticket combos - see the FAQ

Do I get access to the mountain if I stay in lodging?
Ensure your access to the mountain with a Big Sky Season Pass or by purchasing your lift tickets early.

Spnole

Getting on the lift
Skier
Curious -- what is the threshold for number of skiers per day that BS can officially handle before they would have to turn folks away?

Sponsor

Staff online