• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Further discussion revealed that it's actually Kansans who are taking the #1 spot as those who are moving there. California was like 6th or 8th.
Based on out of state license plates I see Kansas being #1 is hard to believe. MN, CA, WA, OR, TX, ID and ND are far more common to see.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Based on out of state license plates I see Kansas being #1 is hard to believe. MN, CA, WA, OR, TX, ID and ND are far more common to see.
It was a professor from MT State who told us that. Long-time Bozeman resident. Not saying the guy was a genius, but he did fire off the top five states. The convo started because of the usual “ Californians ruin everything” talk.
I’d hazard a guess that ID and WA AND OR plates and even ND are road trippers?

TS
skidrew

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
It was a professor from MT State who told us that. Long-time Bozeman resident. Not saying the guy was a genius, but he did fire off the top five states. The convo started because of the usual “ Californians ruin everything” talk.
I’d hazard a guess that ID and WA AND OR plates and even ND are road trippers?

Even MN. Talked to a lot of Minnesotans who make the long drive rather than fly.

LIcense plates aren't necessarily a good indicator, because of short trips and people change registrations. And I think it may be cheaper for rental car cos to register in Idaho - seems I usually get a car with a plate from there when I visit.

OnEdge

Putting on skis
Skier
For the Big Sky locals -

Is there a standard recommendation for boot fitting in Big Sky (whether in the Mountain Village or down in the town of Big Sky)? I would like to avoid going to Bozeman for this. I think I need some general work / maybe a new boot for a family member, and I'd like to consider a replacement liner for me.

Re the liner, has anyone has ZipFit experience with Lone Mountain Sports at the base?

My thanks in advance.

amjgt

Booting up
Skier
Just got back from a phenomenal week at Big Sky (Skied the 15th-20th). Got about 30" of snow while we were there. The powder stashes were ridiculous.

The only downside (and this is some serious nit picking) was the Tram.
Delayed starts because of the amount of snow, terrible visibility because of the amount of snow, and the two sunny/partly sunny days we were there, the wait was 90 minutes, which was the longest of the season according to a lift operator my buddy talked to. None of that is anyone's fault, but not doing any of the south face stuff was a little disappointing.

Dakota lift area last Wednesday was some of the greatest skiing I've ever had.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@OnEdge - check your PMs
@amjgt - keep it down would ya :ogbiggrin:
Yeah, it’s been good month and looks like it’s not over with another storm cycle heading rolling in. Tram line has been insane, I believe over the Presidents week you could see the line from space !
When your back around next time look us up, so much steeper and better terrain without waiting on a wind hold for the tram IMO.

Tom351

Putting on skis
Skier
How have the lift lines been? I have never skied at BigSky but will be there Mon/Tues March15,16.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You could see the tram line from outer space today, pack a meal and bring some patients,
+ 1.5 hrs IMO

all the other lifts except opening bell pretty much nonexistent

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
You could see the tram line from outer space today, pack a meal and bring some patients,
+ 1.5 hrs IMO

all the other lifts except opening bell pretty much nonexistent

Man that's a lot of the ski day for 1 run....

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tram culture is a real thing here. I’ve been out early, 8ish and the lifts don’t open at 9. There are skis and packs that have been put in line way earlier than that, perhaps 7- 7:30.
Powder seeker can be another :30 + hold to get in the tram hold - I’ve seen the faithful wait a long, long time for one run.
The Big, North Summit, dictators and a few others taking you the full 4000ft can be worth the wait when the day is right, today wasn’t one of those days.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Big, North Summit, dictators and a few others taking you the full 4000ft can be worth the wait when the day is right, today wasn’t one of those days.
The North Summit Snowfield had a huge slide yesterday to bare rock in the Great Falls/Tears area and won't be skiable for awhile if at all this season.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Tram culture is a real thing here. I’ve been out early, 8ish and the lifts don’t open at 9. There are skis and packs that have been put in line way earlier than that, perhaps 7- 7:30.
Powder seeker can be another :30 + hold to get in the tram hold - I’ve seen the faithful wait a long, long time for one run.

So say you did everything right, and got in line as early as possible, what's the earliest someone could be at the top of the mountain via the tram? 10:00am? It's possible to do what, 3 laps in a day with the lines, maybe 4?

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m sure it’s possible to squeeze 4 laps in, I’m not. It’s kinda a one and done for us in Ikon times unless I come across a short line and those are a rare thing these days.

Rumor has it that Boyne, like Jackson is evaluating the IKON relationship as their three year contract expires this year.
Between the growth at big sky, the limited numbers in the cabin and that iconic peak the tram will always draw a crowd.

T-man, Heard the same news about NSS, looks like it may not be in play this year at all? Guess it’s just that kind of year.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
So say you did everything right, and got in line as early as possible, what's the earliest someone could be at the top of the mountain via the tram? 10:00am? It's possible to do what, 3 laps in a day with the lines, maybe 4?

If you want to maximize the number of tram laps either get a guide and go up the back stairs at the tram house or go when the visibility is terrible and the lines are short.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid