• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky Cuts Tram Access to Lone Peak for Ikon Pass Holders and others......

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
If BS were to build a lift up Liberty Bowl there's not much reason for them to restrict access to Big/Little/NSSF - those all require a sign-out so are capacity constrained as it is. Using the tram as a restrictor for those runs isn't really useful.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Like @Tony S said so eloquently:

Every piece of PR about Big Sky starts and ends with a stunning photo of Lone Peak. Going up there, regardless of your actual ability to ski the terrain, is practically the definition of a signature experience.

Buried in the hyperbole lower in the post:

For the 2021-22 season those with lift access products including lift tickets, Ikon and Mountain Collective passes, and select Big Sky passes will no longer have Tram access included as part of their base product. Tram access will now be offered as an add-on purchase tied to a specified day of use, or through a season-long Tram Pack that will offer guests a selected number of days to be used any day of the season.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I agree with those that say that Lone Peak is the centre piece of Big Sky's promotions. In fact, charging a premium for the iconic (or is it Ikonic) Lone Peaks experience does not really seem out of wack as paying extra $, it could be argued, adds value and exclusivity to the experience.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I'd hate to be the liftie at the base of the tram having to explain to all those IKON and MTC passholders who just stood in line for 2 hours that their pass is not worthy.

Oh, it's ON!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not Worthy? Maybe they have to acquire one of these to access the Tram.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd hate to be the liftie at the base of the tram having to explain to all those IKON and MTC passholders who just stood in line for 2 hours that their pass is not worthy.

My first time skiing Snowbird I stood in line at the tram, only to discover when I got to the front of the line that my Costco purchased day ticket was not valid for the Tram. I was directed thru a door that led to a ticket seller who sold me the upgrade and I then went back thru the door to my place in line. Pretty sure that BS can arrange something similar.

Also, at least in theory the tram price premium will mean no more 2 hour lines.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
My first time skiing Snowbird I stood in line at the tram, only to discover when I got to the front of the line that my Costco purchased day ticket was not valid for the Tram. I was directed thru a door that led to a ticket seller who sold me the upgrade and I then went back thru the door to my place in line. Pretty sure that BS can arrange something similar.

Well, perhaps the line will be shorter at Big Sky trams.
But unlike Snowbird's tram, which is at the base and integrated into the base lodge, the Big Sky tram is all by its lonesome up the hill after riding two chairlifts.
Snowbird also has upgraded their lifts so the tram doesn't access exclusive terrain. You could get to any run off the chairlifts.

James

Out There
Instructor
Version 2 will be weather fluctuating prices. Less when it’s cloudy/foggy/snowing. More when it’s sunny.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier

Ikon pass holders can do exactly what everyone else does: pre-approve tram access. (From the BS FAQs)

Yes. Ikon and Mountain Collective Passes will not include Tram access and must be purchased separately. Ikon and Mountain Collective passholders will be able to purchase Tram Access Packs or enable Autocharge on their passes. More information for Ikon and Mountain Collective Passholders will be coming soon.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
What a difference a day makes. Sunday’s line was the typical 50/60 minutes and Monday was like WTF ? Where did everybody go ?

NO, I mean no line ! Ski right to the gate ! Was hoping to lap all day but had a previous 1pm appt in town.
Last 6 days here and looking to do as many laps as days, perhaps a personal best of 5 or 6 in one day.
Interesting how soon we call the high speed lifts crap. Our primary lift out of the base, swiftly is a detachable HS 4. Every day, someone says this lift is junk ! It’s a F-ing HS quad for god sake. Now to appease the crowd it’s going to be a HS, heated bubble 6 pack, what a bunch of pussys we have become. How soon till we call that obsolete?

A great short video on the lone peak tram on the BS website as it is 25 years old this year, ancient right ?!?
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the video but the base actually sits on a large block of foam and shifts around from season to season. Some sources say it’s moved 3’ in the 25 years.Still amazing to me every time I get in it and fly over the big and little couloir !

The new Tram and its path is going to change that, just like a surface lift or a chair would up the bowl. I for one am going to miss the experience of only 15 people at a time let out on the iconic peak, no matter how long the wait.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Now to appease the crowd it’s going to be a HS, heated bubble 6 pack, what a bunch of pussys we have become. How soon till we call that obsolete?
When we were there in 2019, someone wanted to put the 8 pack bubble down on a beautiful sunny day in the afternoon. I'm sure I didn't make a friend when I objected. C'mon, it's an outdoor sport!

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Our primary lift out of the base, swiftly is a detachable HS 4. Every day, someone says this lift is junk ! It’s a F-ing HS quad for god sake. Now to appease the crowd it’s going to be a HS, heated bubble 6 pack, what a bunch of pussys we have become. How soon till we call that obsolete?

Never thought it was junk, but damn will a bubble be nice on those mornings when the wind is whipping down the hill. Though I guess the new lift won't have as many wind holds as that old piece of junk.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
When we were there in 2019, someone wanted to put the 8 pack bubble down on a beautiful sunny day in the afternoon. I'm sure I didn't make a friend when I objected. C'mon, it's an outdoor sport!

Different scenario, but that takes a back seat to the family I rode up with that wanted to put the bubble down on the last day of last year's season.

James

Out There
Instructor
Though I guess the new lift won't have as many wind holds as that old piece of junk.
I wouldn’t count on it. Bubbles are fairly susceptible to wind. We’re moving a 4 person bubble allegedly due to wind. Replacing with a six exposed.

I will say that a heated bubble does spoil you. It’s not much heat. I thought it was ridiculous the year it went in. Capacity was exactly the same. But in very cold you get to the top and don’t have to go in. In rain you only get wet on the way down. People ski later in the afternoon with a bubble.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I predict that the next generation of 6 pack or 8 pack will be equipped with 6 or 8 individual bubbles.
Bonus marketing feature: "Ride virus free in your own bubble with no decline in total lift capacity". :ogbiggrin:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I wouldn’t count on it. Bubbles are fairly susceptible to wind. We’re moving a 4 person bubble allegedly due to wind. Replacing with a six exposed.

I will say that a heated bubble does spoil you. It’s not much heat. I thought it was ridiculous the year it went in. Capacity was exactly the same. But in very cold you get to the top and don’t have to go in. In rain you only get wet on the way down. People ski later in the afternoon with a bubble.
The best part about the bubble is the chair doesn't have snow on it from the trip down. I was thinking they need cocktail service on the Ramcharger.

James

Out There
Instructor
The best part about the bubble is the chair doesn't have snow on it from the trip down. I was thinking they need cocktail service on the Ramcharger.
If everything is working to plan. Often it doesn’t. I don’t know if it’s a wind issue, but we’ve had issues.

Sponsor

Staff online