• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northern Rockies/Alberta Big Sky Cuts Tram Access to Lone Peak for Ikon Pass Holders and others......

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
And what happens when one or two bubbles go Spinal Tap and don't open? :ogbiggrin:
The bubble on the Sunburst Chair at Sun Peaks sometimes locks in the closed position but as the chair enters the top station their is some sort of device that automatically opens the bubble. If it fails I suspect that the lift would shut down.

gilligan

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm late to this party, but this is from Alterra's "terms and conditions" and must be agreed to before purchasing an Ikon pass:

The Resort(s) have limited capacity and Resort(s) management reserves the right to limit, refuse or deny entry to the Resort(s) at its sole discretion for any reason, regardless of Pass Holder status.

Pretty much says that Alterra or its partners can change the terms of access at will and at any time.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I'm late to this party, but this is from Alterra's "terms and conditions" and must be agreed to before purchasing an Ikon pass:

The Resort(s) have limited capacity and Resort(s) management reserves the right to limit, refuse or deny entry to the Resort(s) at its sole discretion for any reason, regardless of Pass Holder status.

Pretty much says that Alterra or its partners can change the terms of access at will and at any time.

I'm sure United Airlines had the same boilerplate in their passenger agreement.

[URL=/gif/video-shows-a-passenger-forcibly-dragged-off-a-united-airlines-plane-0irMAl] [/URL]

James

Out There
Instructor

Isn’t any private entity that way? Otherwise you need a book the thickness of a dictionary spelling out everything you can’t do.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
Isn’t any private entity that way? Otherwise you need a book the thickness of a dictionary spelling out everything you can’t do.

Yeah, and also a lot easier than arguing about whether it was reasonable to close the resort, or part of it, on a given day.

Though I suspect any lawyer challenging this change would say this clause is about retaining discretion not to run lifts at all, rather than to deny people access to certain lifts or change the terms of the bargain unilaterally. Taken to its extreme, this clause would mean Ikon could sell a pass that each resort would have full discretion to deny the use of entirely. Clearly that's not the intended result.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
Bottom line is Boyne is committed to only allowing the number of skiers up the tram that the conditions can support. Lots of locals (including my family) pay for all mountain access but seldom spend the time in line to ski the tram. The views and skiing are great but there’s just too much good skiing elsewhere on the mountain.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
What a difference a day makes. Sunday’s line was the typical 50/60 minutes and Monday was like WTF ? Where did everybody go ?

NO, I mean no line ! Ski right to the gate ! Was hoping to lap all day but had a previous 1pm appt in town.
Last 6 days here and looking to do as many laps as days, perhaps a personal best of 5 or 6 in one day.
Interesting how soon we call the high speed lifts crap. Our primary lift out of the base, swiftly is a detachable HS 4. Every day, someone says this lift is junk ! It’s a F-ing HS quad for god sake. Now to appease the crowd it’s going to be a HS, heated bubble 6 pack, what a bunch of pussys we have become. How soon till we call that obsolete?

A great short video on the lone peak tram on the BS website as it is 25 years old this year, ancient right ?!?
Not sure if it’s mentioned in the video but the base actually sits on a large block of foam and shifts around from season to season. Some sources say it’s moved 3’ in the 25 years.Still amazing to me every time I get in it and fly over the big and little couloir !

The new Tram and its path is going to change that, just like a surface lift or a chair would up the bowl. I for one am going to miss the experience of only 15 people at a time let out on the iconic peak, no matter how long the wait.

milkman

Getting on the lift
Skier
It is amazing how the tram crowd changes from day to day.
I’m looking forward to the Swifty 6 reducing the line in the base area but like the tram there are times almost every day when Swifty is a walk up and get on chair.

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I was told the overall design of the new Swifty 6 makes it less susceptible to wind holds, and a lot more comfortable on windy days.

If PowderSeeker is any indication, the wind holds should go way down (I believe it can operate through higher gusts, so fewer times it stops).

Sponsor

Staff online