• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For those still up at BS and flying out later today and tomorrow, the roads in Bozeman are shit right now - leave yourself plenty of time to make your flight

Quoted for truth! Apparently they don't believe in plows here.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Thread hijack, my wife Kathy and I took a tour through Yellowstone National Park on Friday, Mar 1, 2019. Here are a few quick photos. It was a fun day, but I had a couple seconds of FOMO when I saw that photo by @Tony from the top of Lone Peak:golfclap:

That's Old Faithful finishing an eruption behind us. Only about 50 people were viewing this with us at the time. They tell me in the summer there would be thousands at a mid-day eruption.
DSCN9008.jpg

We saw hundreds of bison during the 7 hour tour. These came right up to our bus.
DSCN8970 (2).jpg

Saw many geysers up close too.
DSCN9063.jpg

We rode one of the yellow buses in background with the monster tires and the driver gave us several opportunities to get out and walk around various thermal features. Note herd of bison grazing nearby. It was a sunny day at Yellowstone National Park and not too cold, 3/1/19. Rode with Buffalo Bus Touring Co.
DSCN9028.jpg

This was about the size of a six person hot tub, but if you jumped in there you'd come out looking like a boiled lobster.
DSCN9035.jpg

Saw a lot of wildlife, coyote stalking its prey.
DSCN9085.jpg
Elk in Madison River.
DSCN9072.jpg

Bald eagle in flight.
DSCN9073.jpg

Nesting.
DSCN9094.jpg

Lots of interesting snow vehicles in the park, but this was the coolest. Photo taken yesterday, vehicle built around 1950:
DSCN9013.jpg

Once again, really enjoyed the Gathering at Big Sky. Many thanks to Phil and Tricia for all they put into making it a super event, including getting Ullr to bring us a bunch of fresh snow. Thanks also to the @KingGrump 's for their amazing hospitality and @Gary Stolt for arranging the great lodging deal. There are many tangible and intangible benefits to attending the Gathering, but all the fine people are what really make it great! :hail:

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you thank you thank you all! 7 fantastic days of skiing with great conditions and wonderful people. @AKMINK and I are looking forward to JH next year and any time we may cross paths before then.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
After investigating yesterday, I was able to get into the Big Couloir today with @mdf.

Tram unloading…
99EC74CB-5B54-40F0-88A7-7565B9A096FA.jpeg

I should have taken a picture, but first you have to go over the hill behind the tram to a small building called the “penalty box” to sign up. Lots of stickers on the door, now including PugSki. (Mad River Glen also represented, naturally, among others.) It’s relatively easy to get in to the North Summit Snowfields area, since groups leave, I believe, every 10 minutes with up to 6. The Big Couloir is limited to one pair every 15 minutes. You do get an assigned time, but must take the next available slot. Expect to wait for about an hour (so there isn’t really time for a run while waiting unless the tram line is short).

Plenty of time to see the views while waiting:
418E399F-F7E5-4108-9C0D-E1F4964F5515.jpeg 0C65C9EC-4487-43C5-9945-F0FA1FF5E3BE.jpeg

Finally, it’s time!

Contemplating at the entrance…
2DCDB7CF-269C-4211-B2AB-C635E1AFF7F3.jpeg

Additional contemplation after meeting up at the bend…
3C3391BC-94AD-4394-8B04-707FCDEDF467.jpeg

And… done!
7A016D21-C675-4C7D-B9F9-CBD3BE00D33D.jpeg

The snow was a combination of moderately skied wind buff, powder pockets, and a very nice pile of soft stuff at the bottom. The run was a bit tricky due to visibility, but I would love to have had the chance to make a second run with a little more speed, knowing what the conditions were. Definitely worth the wait!

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
After investigating yesterday, I was able to get into the Big Couloir today with @mdf.

Tram unloading…
View attachment 67089

I should have taken a picture, but first you have to go over the hill behind the tram to a small building called the “penalty box” to sign up. Lots of stickers on the door, now including PugSki. (Mad River Glen also represented, naturally, among others.) It’s relatively easy to get in to the North Summit Snowfields area, since groups leave, I believe, every 10 minutes with up to 6. The Big Couloir is limited to one pair every 15 minutes. You do get an assigned time, but must take the next available slot. Expect to wait for about an hour (so there isn’t really time for a run while waiting unless the tram line is short).

View attachment 67090 View attachment 67091

Finally, it’s time!

View attachment 67092

View attachment 67094

And… done!
View attachment 67093

The snow was a combination of moderately skied wind buff, powder pockets, and a very nice pile of soft stuff at the bottom. The run was a bit tricky due to visibility, but I would love to have had the chance to make a second run with a little more speed, knowing what the conditions were. Definitely worth the wait!

Wow. Congrats you guys! Well done and documented!

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's awesome!

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you all for leaving some snow behind. Here at BS with family one tick after the gathering - either good or bad timing for this introvert. But had a GREAT run down Marx today and leftover snow is still in very good condition. You guys really got the best.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Tram unloading…
View attachment 67089

View attachment 67090 View attachment 67091

Finally, it’s time!

View attachment 67092

View attachment 67094

And… done!
View attachment 67093

So stoked that you guys did it.

I can see the hill better in Unpiste's pictures than I could in real time! Maybe I should have taken a picture and looked at that!
:beercheer:

Thank you all for leaving some snow behind. Here at BS with family one tick after the gathering - either good or bad timing for this introvert. But had a GREAT run down Marx today and leftover snow is still in very good condition. You guys really got the best.
I wish you'd have said something. We skied today and are leaving for Tahoe in the morning.
Next time!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink